my 205 mi16 rally car project.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default my 205 mi16 rally car project.

    As the title say's im building a 205 gti rally car with a mi16 motor, custom rear suspension and tunnel.

    The motor is stock, the gear box has a mixture of be1 and be3 ratio's, and will be getting a tran x LSD.

    The aim is to make the car as light and strong as possible. It is being built in my garage
    with help from my step dad (rally).
    The car is being built by us including the painting once finished.

    Anyway i wont bore you with talk here are some pics of the progress so far.

    Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03676.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03884.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03891.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03894.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03910.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03923.jpg  

    my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03931.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03932.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03941.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03943.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03945.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03957.jpg  

    my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03947.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03948.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03955.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03920.jpg  

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts BIGRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Rocks, Sydney
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Looking Good

    Keep us up with the progress.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

    Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

    "Be reasonable do it my way!"


  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! spar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    sunny coast
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jew086 View Post
    Anyway i wont bore you with talk here are some pics of the progress so far.
    well yeah pics are good, but it's ok, bore us with talk

    this seems quite hard core - nice - excuse my ignorance but i dont understand the replacing the tunnel, it didnt look like you were putting in 4wd in other shots.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! DjB8V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    8V'ville
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Thats proper brave of you changing the rear suspension for something custom.

    What have you got in mind?



    Chris

  5. #5
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    well yeah pics are good, but it's ok, bore us with talk

    this seems quite hard core - nice - excuse my ignorance but i dont understand the replacing the tunnel, it didnt look like you were putting in 4wd in other shots.

    The tunel was replaced sso that there is more clearence around the exhaust if i ever need to take it out in a hurry. and to try keep everything as hogh up as possible.

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jew086 View Post
    As the title say's im building a 205 gti rally car with a mi16 motor, custom rear suspension and tunnel.

    The motor is stock, the gear box has a mixture of be1 and be3 ratio's, and will be getting a tran x LSD.

    The aim is to make the car as light and strong as possible. It is being built in my garage
    with help from my step dad (rally).
    The car is being built by us including the painting once finished.

    Anyway i wont bore you with talk here are some pics of the progress so far.
    Looking at the positioning of the rear strut towers seems it will have a much wider track?
    Graham

  7. #7
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Thats proper brave of you changing the rear suspension for something custom.

    What have you got in mind?



    Chris

    the rear suspension i am using is 205si front struts hubs and brakes so its going to be fully adjustable (toe, camber) and its aslo way lighter than the rear beem.

  8. #8
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Looking at the positioning of the rear strut towers seems it will have a much wider track?
    Graham

    it will have the same track as the front.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts PugMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Maaaaate,

    That is one mofo of a job your doing - Looks Great. Keep posting pics, we all love pics.

    Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Since Andy is involved, I know it will be properly thought through, and legal, but I must say I'm surprised. What events will it be run in, and what as?

    Tim

  11. #11
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Since Andy is involved, I know it will be properly thought through, and legal, but I must say I'm surprised. What events will it be run in, and what as?

    Tim
    Will be OK for AMSAG, might have problems with CAMS road events.
    Not as way out as the V6 engined early model Laser I saw recently with corflute flooring, perspex and plastic everything, no windscreen and no cage, now that is light! This was being run in an autocross. Was built by a Ford engineer so maybe he knew what he was doing.
    My somewhat more conservative 205 has its rally debut soon, shake down run in a Khanacross yesterday saw some impressive speed, not that I will be repeating this in the rally I still have a lot to learn about FWD on rally roads.
    Casnell's 205 also makes a return soon, good to see a few gravel 205s coming on the scene.
    Graham

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    cool project, nice cage. Keep the pics and comment coming.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Awesome..... Andy C?

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Do u have any cad drawings of the rear suspension set up?

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! DjB8V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    8V'ville
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jew086 View Post
    the rear suspension i am using is 205si front struts hubs and brakes so its going to be fully adjustable (toe, camber) and its aslo way lighter than the rear beem.
    Interesting. I would have thought it would have been better to start with GTI gear rather Si gear to make adjustable. Same goes for the Si rear.

    Learn something new every day.

    Goodluck with it all.


    Chris

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    350

    Default

    I think if I was going to this much trouble with the back end, I would have fitted wishbones, for a truly adjustable set up.

    The struts will still have some of the problems of the trailing arms - i.e. 1:1 camber gain with roll. However, you will be able to set some static negative camber, and adjust the toe.

    I have never been involved in anything where these changes would be allowed, hence haven't done much other than conceptual work on this, but the wishbones shouldn't be too hard.

    Good luck,

    Tim

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought it would have been better to start with GTI gear rather Si gear to make adjustable. Same goes for the Si rear.

    Learn something new every day.

    Goodluck with it all.


    Chris
    Front has been left as GTi, Si struts in rear only?
    Graham

  18. #18
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Yeah the front is still gti, the rear is made from si as it is lighter and easyer to make fit, due to the lower control arm has the sway bar/stabiliser built into it.

    I am also putting a cabel shift and getting rid of the gear linkages.

    My plan is to run it in the 2wd masters, and AMSAG.

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! Rally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pearl Beach NSW
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doff View Post
    Do u have any cad drawings of the rear suspension set up?

    Only if you are telepathic .

    But there are a few measurements written on the wall of the shead.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

  20. #20
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default

    a few more pics of bracing to the front towers. and into the engine bay from inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03972.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03968.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03967.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03969.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc03973.jpg  

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! spar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    sunny coast
    Posts
    263

    Default

    wow, nice work, oh please put a beasty engine in it

    so would old skool stuff like seam welding (not sure whether it would give anything much on 205 panels) be beside the point when you go that far in building in a chassis?

  22. #22
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    wow, nice work, oh please put a beasty engine in it

    so would old skool stuff like seam welding (not sure whether it would give anything much on 205 panels) be beside the point when you go that far in building in a chassis?
    Have a look at the seam welding between the floor and fire wall, something I will be monitoring closely on my 205 rally car as it is a known weak point and I may have to do the same.

    Jason, don't forget the strut tower tops (I'm sure you won't) this is the weakest part of the 205 shell.

    Graham

  23. #23
    Member jew086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    umina beach
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Yeah the seam welding on the fire wall and floor was done mainly
    so i could cut the lip off from inside the engine bay where the two panels
    are spot welded together.

    Here are some pics of the car painted in the cabin and engine bay.
    Its hard trying to paint a roll cage, let alone when its your first time,
    but it turned out pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc05209.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc05210.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc05211.jpg   my 205 mi16 rally car project.-dsc05212.jpg  

  24. #24
    Member Specialbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lilyfield NSW 2040
    Posts
    34

    Default

    just got on to this thread - great stuff - keep the updates coming!

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Looking good, keep it coming!
    205gti

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •