And you thought a Carbon tax was expensive!
  • Register
  • Help

Default And you thought a Carbon tax was expensive!

Saving the planet sure costs us mere consumers. My 406 has thrown up "front and rear Catalytic Converters old and failing". twice in last month. Now looks like I can't just close my eyes and pretend that the engine light will stay off for months. Solution:

Pay $900 per converter (private import from France, Peugeot jobs about $2 k each), plus labour to make it good again. Having left the car for repair, caught the train home and put my jaw back in position, I now would like to declare my huge gratitude for being able to contribute to the improved future of the planet through the sacrifice I am about to make.

May be Tony Abbot could ban this cost to save the planet too.

Advertisement
    Andy

Current:
    Peugeot 508 Allure HDI 2012
    Previous:
    Peugeot 404 1969
    Peugeot 504 1970
    Peugeot 505 1983
    Peugeot 306 1999
    Peugeot 406 SV 2003

1000+ Posts

Another make of car, but a dealer demonstrated his repair method used on his second hand cars- he took the cat off and put a crowbar through the middle. Worked perfectly. But avoid the Russian method - a St Petersburg motorist was wounded by a richocet when he tried to achieve the same result by shooting up the exhaust. Should have used a larger calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by pugagain View Post
    Saving the planet sure costs us mere consumers. My 406 has thrown up "front and rear Catalytic Converters old and failing". twice in last month. Now looks like I can't just close my eyes and pretend that the engine light will stay off for months. Solution:

Pay $900 per converter (private import from France, Peugeot jobs about $2 k each), plus labour to make it good again. Having left the car for repair, caught the train home and put my jaw back in position, I now would like to declare my huge gratitude for being able to contribute to the improved future of the planet through the sacrifice I am about to make.

May be Tony Abbot could ban this cost to save the planet too.

R u telling me you ve just spend $1800 on a pair of catalytic converters...

on a 3K car????

Why didnt you go aftermarket??? Shouldnt have cost you more than 5-600....

dino

i was thinking the same thing while i was reading. My highflow s/steel cat costed me about $450.00 if i remember correctly. unless there is something supadupa about the 406 cat i would definitely go the after market way.

I put brand new S/steel highflow cats in both my 205's , its the least one could do for themselfs and everyone else. Sure it doesnt stop all polution but it tries to help.
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Thread Information