Problems running OBD2 diagnostics on 306
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Problems running OBD2 diagnostics on 306

Hey all,

I hope I can pick your collective brains. Just for kicks, theother day I tried to hook up my OBD 2 diagnostic tool to the 306 in the family (2002 manual 306 cabrio). Upon hooking up the scanner I would get a "lining error". I did a bit of searching on the web and found that there are a few things to check onthe OBD2 connector:

1) Pin 4 and 5 are ground, they checked out okay.
    2) Pin 16 is 12 volts, again all good.
    3) Then we get to pin 7, the diagnostic one.

I used my 206 gti 180 as a reference fo which the scanner works on and found that it registers 25 mV on that pin when the ignition is switched on. I found I was getting the same thing on the 306 too. I even checked the voltage output on the cable to the scanner and that registered 25 mV, so I am guessing all is good.

So I guess the question is, how come the OBD2 scanner works with my 206 and not on the 306?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisement
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Interesting.

The 306 was only at the very end an OBDII-compliant car, AFAIK. Prior to this it used something different - more like the old 2 pin ECU diagnostic plug.

Perhaps it has a very early protocol that your reader doesn't recognise, or perhaps it's like in this PeugeotLogic link:

306 N5. No diagnostic access.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hey simon,

I did a few checks on the net and it seems to suggest that it should be OBD2 compliant (ie a XU10J4R engine with BOSCH 5.2). I also checked the wiring on the car and it matches that in the link you provided, so I am rally stumped.

In the meantime, I fired off an email to the diagnostic tool company to see if they have any answers\clues. I am hoping it is not the case that a 2002 306 cabrio is not OBD2 compliant.

Hmmm any other clues guys
    Last edited by bad_karma; 28th February 2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Fellow Frogger!

FInally figured this out.

Although the car is 2002 model and has a OBD2 type diagnostics connector,it does not use the OBD2/EOBD2 protocol(s) for communication. Instead, the scanner I have is loaded wih a whole stack of diagnostic programs for a vast variety of french cars. To use it in such cars you have to manually communicate with the car by selecting the correct program from the scanner unit to initiate car comms.

This involves sleecting the right model car from a list on theunit fllwoed by the engine/ignition type details.

SO I learnt somethign new. In the end Iwas able to check for any error codes on the engine, airbags and ABS modules and there were no. So appy, happy, joy, joy.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

So spill the beans then, bad_karma: what model of scanner do you have? It sounds very fancy!
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Simon,

I got an autel FR704 http://www.auteltech.com/fr704.htm. Seems to cover heaps of frenchies. Got it for about $250, which I think is good value.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

Tadpole

Gidday just too add to this I was playing with my Brothers 306Hdi 2000 today and found the VAGCom program from Ross Tech will read the codes as well - Ignition on and select Generic OBD2 functions - It will Auto scan and select the right protocol. Ill be playing with it a bit more over the next few weeks Ill try and post any useful tidbits I can find along the way. It did report what protocol it was but I didnt take note of it at the time, Ill report back on that one.

BTW the VAGCom program is specifically for VW Audi group Vehicles but can do generic OBD as well ( its not particularly cheap, about $400 from memory,but essential if you do your own work on a VAG car)

Thread Information