504 - strange electrical problem... help??
  • Register
  • Help

504 - strange electrical problem... help??

The 1979 sedan I've just put on the road has blown the fuse on the ignition-fed circuit... ie, fuel gauge, temp gauge, blinkers, wipers, stop light (?) and so on.

Replaced with heavier fuse (all the servo had at midnight...) and all worked again except the voltmeter... but the fuse is melting away, so there's still a problem.

Any clues?

With the ignition turned on and the various things tried, but no engine running, it doesn't heat up. Start the engine and soon the fuse is red hot. No wires melted through yet... but it can't go on.

What should I try?

... who was it invented electricity anyway?

Advertisement

Oh, maybe a clue, the spark is awful weak, but that may also be unrelated.

Distributor problem? Current leakage to earth on coil to distributor low tension connector or wire?

This would explain why the problem only occurs when the engine is running I think.

Alternatively? Defective coil? Capacitor lead shorting to distributor body?

Thinking about it though, this isn't the same circuit, is it? Ok, what else changes load on this particular circuit when the engine is actually running? The voltmeter? Water temp and oil pressure guages?

You should be able to ignore anything on which the load is the same regardless of engine state, so the indicators, choke and brake warning lights could be ruled out.

The stop lights are on a different circuit to the gauges etc I think. (same one as for reversing lights)

[ 18 January 2002: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</p>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thanks Rod... I found it... driving along, I was stopped at traffic lights on a steep slope, smoke poured from the fuse...

The stoplight wire was jammed in where the tail light unit bolts to the body.

Still no action from the voltmeter, but all else is okay... reckon the problem didn't show for the first 1000k since the light was replaced because it was all highway stuff with no protracted brake use. Down the steep hill out of Norm's was the first time...

Any thoughts?

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Ray,

(Sorry if this is too basic).

Bad earths are responsible for 80-90% of all faults.

This is how I would chase the non working voltmeter problem.

Firstly, check that the car voltmeter is working ok. Run an external (separate) 12v supply and another earth wire (from the car battery) to the car voltmeter, to confirm that it is not faulty.

Then use another voltmeter to see if you getting approx. 12V to the car voltmeter.

If the car voltmeter is getting approx. 12v feed, then it must be a bad earth.

I'm not familiar with the 504 but the 505 Peugeot has a "push on" spade connector earthing cluster point for the dash instruments. Find the connector belonging to the car voltmeter, clean and tighten it. There may be corrosion (greenish muck) either on the connector/s or the wire (under the insulation) which may mean that you will need to run a new earth wire to the car voltmeter.

Hope this helps

con....

Thanks for that, con... wonder if it's related to the extreme difficulty I'm having starting the thing?

Clutch start... first shot every time, on the starter you're lucky if it fires.

Of course, it might be a crook starter... will try that shortly.

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Ray,

check your main earth cable to the battery. (Not absolutely sure but there should also be an earth cable between the engine and the body/gearbox somewhere...)

Look for corrosion on the connectors as well as the wire itself (check under the insulation/sheath).

good luck

con....

Thread Information