306 S16 - Aircon Fuse Blowing
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 S16 - Aircon Fuse Blowing

G'day

My S16 has been so good lately. Haha.

Advertisement

My aircon fuse keeps blowing about 2 secs after I put a new 30A in. Theb all my controls and blower do not work. Does anyone have knowledge on issues to do with this.

Cheers

Dom

Try reading this blurb on Peugeotlogic to start with:

306 Short circuit in A/C

It may help, or it may hurt!
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Is the A/C control panel located behind the fan controls?

Fellow Frogger!

Default well

i had similar thing with my 205 recently, it was wiring bared by a hungry mouse, dammit, had to repair bare wiring everyware, actually repaired a hesitation at the same time, so wasnt all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT306 View Post
    Is the A/C control panel located behind the fan controls?
    Yes, the printed circuit board is in the control module on the dash - but I've never pulled it apart.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Dom I had exactly the same problem with my XSI recently . After a bit of research I found that there is a Zener DIode on the circuit board attached to the Panel with the Heater /Aircon controls. This diode is for overvoltage contral to absorb voltages higher than 24Volts, I examined the options and chose to remove the Diode from the board then reassemble the setup and away it went. I figure in the unlikely event of a Voltage spike of over 24 volts the fuse will pop and you are no worse off than you are now.
    There is a pictorial thread on this problem somewhere on FF. or was before the accident. The diode in question is right near the power input to the board and from memory is about 10mm by 6mm . If you are handy you should be able to do it yourself or an auto electrician should be able to do it in an hour or so.
    Alternatives are a new board for over $1000.00 or a S/H one for around $300.00
    My XSI has been running OK with the diode removed for about 4 months. You pay your money and take you choice.
    Regards Dennis.

Fellow Frogger!

Bumping this thread as I have the same issue now. Do you just cut the diode off without replacing it?

Before you go to those lengths, check the A/C relay under the steering column. Remove the kick panel with a 10c piece. Should be a green one. Early 306's (N3s and 97/98 N5s) had bad connectors on the 87 side of relays and tend to burnish or melt connectors. Problems can either come from the connector or from the relay itself.

Check that the blue connector in the back of the control panel hasn't had something similar happen as the blue plastic will melt badly enough that the pins can come in contact with each other.

Wire up a globe to slot into the A/C fuse holder while you diagnose where the short is coming from. Saves having to replace multiple fuses.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Bluey I will check them too. It was raining last night so I didn't get out in the driveway to check them but I'm guessing it's one of the 4 on the right.

btw any idea what the light blue cable is coming down behind the steering column? It's connected to a grey cable and taped up.

I had the same problem many years ago. It was the zenner (fails short circuit and is wired (reverse) from positive to negative. As mentioned it protects against voltage spikes.

The original is huge (probably supposed to handle more current than the fuse) but the fuse is 30A!! I replaced with a 1W zenner from jaycar and it has been fine for the last 17 years.

Getting the control unit apart and back together is a bit of a challenge, with multiple plastic tabs that need to be simultaniously depressed (I imagine there is some sort of jig for this).

My aircond problem now is that the compressor has finally packed it in

edit: my voltage spike was caused by a loose battery terminal.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

Update: I tacked this last night and managed to get the AC circuit board out and cut the zenner resistor off and re-assembled the unit. This has fixed the problem and the fan now works again without blowing the fuse. I only had a spare 25amp fuse which I put in place which I figure would work ok as the resistor was supposed to send anything more than 24 to ground anyway. I will replace it with a 30 as soon as I get one.

It was fairly easy to do just fiddly when attempting to re-attach the control cables inside the dash. On the downside my central locking stopped and the stereo didn't come back on lol. Something else to research now.

Thread Information