Heavy Duty sway bars for 306 Rallye
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default Heavy Duty sway bars for 306 Rallye

    Hi Guys,

    Does anyone know a brand that does Heavy duty sway bars as an upgrade to Std units? I've checked Whiteline and I'm just waiting on a response, as it doesn't look like they do on their web site.

    Advertisement


    Before you ask why, I think there's some chassis flex when taking left hand corners (only), which gets the front left tire squealing (therefore loosing traction), and I think this should fix it. (and NO I'm not going to get an LSD)

  2. #2
    I might be slow... DRTDVL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Check the rear arb i'm fairly sure it's not 24mm like the s16 or gti-6.

    If it's only one sided i would say you have other problems.

  3. #3
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I've communicated this with my mechanic (Tune House), and they think that sway bars will fix it, but want to drive it first to check.

  4. #4
    I might be slow... DRTDVL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    How many KM;s has it done?

    My s16 started to have issues with it's rear axle bearings at about 130,000km it did have a harder life than most.

  5. #5
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
    How many KM;s has it done?

    My s16 started to have issues with it's rear axle bearings at about 130,000km it did have a harder life than most.
    About 160k.

  6. #6
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Whiteline don't do them. But I found another Aussie company called Mako who can do customer jobs.
    http://www.mako.com.au/

    I'll see if I can get down there and get it quoted and let people know.

  7. #7
    I might be slow... DRTDVL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Get your rear beam looked at.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! runabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    129

    Default

    If you can find someone wreaking one a Xsara VTS has a larger rear sway bar or Spoox in the UK do one but shipping might be pricey I've got one in my car and love it.

    http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/produ...0c75aaf29ee0af

  9. #9
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    If you can find someone wreaking one a Xsara VTS has a larger rear sway bar or Spoox in the UK do one but shipping might be pricey I've got one in my car and love it.

    http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/produ...0c75aaf29ee0af
    Thanks for that I've seen those. I've found a guy here in Sydney who does customer jobs for just over $200, so I'm going to go see him next month. They'll be about3-6mm thicker than Std.

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon888 View Post
    Before you ask why, I think there's some chassis flex when taking left hand corners (only), which gets the front left tire squealing (therefore loosing traction), and I think this should fix it. (and NO I'm not going to get an LSD)
    I wouldn't have asked, but seeing as mentioned the reasons..........
    If your chassis is flexing on left corners only, throw it away, or engage a good panel beater to stick it back together.

    I cant imagine that is the cause unless you have had an big accident, and I suspect buggered bushes/bearings or bent components are causing something to be monumentally wrong in the wheel alignment.
    If this is the case, sort it out before you go and hide the symptoms with a stiffer sway bar.
    If you take the sway bars off, the car should still drive Ok and be balanced between left and right sides.
    I'm sure the mechanics you take it to will follow the correct path, but if they dont and think that by simply installing a stiffer sway bar your problems will go away, run a mile and never go back, and find yourself a new mechanic.

    First thing I'd be doing is eye-balling and wiggling everything that moves on the suspension, including the rear end. I'd probably grab a tape measure and ruler and start comparing sides.
    Then I'd get a detailed wheel alignment done, and tell the tech about the issues the car is having and to pay particular attention to any potential causes of this.

    Jo

  11. #11
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Thanks for the feedback. After some thinking, there are a couple things which could be contributing (I think) to the effect. Front left shock needs to be reconditioned thanks to Sydney roads (slightly soft on the suspension test, due to a pot hole). Right side bushes are worn and need to be replaced (Left hand ones were replaced a couple of months ago). Once these are done, then I'll re-assess. Although I still want the stiffer sway bars to reduce the body roll.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,487

    Default

    I'd sell it and buy a GTi6. Do your sums. It's just not worth putting that sort of money into it.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  13. #13
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I wouldn't have asked, but seeing as mentioned the reasons..........
    If your chassis is flexing on left corners only, throw it away, or engage a good panel beater to stick it back together.

    I cant imagine that is the cause unless you have had an big accident, and I suspect buggered bushes/bearings or bent components are causing something to be monumentally wrong in the wheel alignment.
    If this is the case, sort it out before you go and hide the symptoms with a stiffer sway bar.
    If you take the sway bars off, the car should still drive Ok and be balanced between left and right sides.
    I'm sure the mechanics you take it to will follow the correct path, but if they dont and think that by simply installing a stiffer sway bar your problems will go away, run a mile and never go back, and find yourself a new mechanic.

    First thing I'd be doing is eye-balling and wiggling everything that moves on the suspension, including the rear end. I'd probably grab a tape measure and ruler and start comparing sides.
    Then I'd get a detailed wheel alignment done, and tell the tech about the issues the car is having and to pay particular attention to any potential causes of this.

    Jo
    +1
    Stiffer roll bars will make the body flex MORE as the suspension will have less give, putting more force on the body shell for a given cornering speed.
    Graham

  14. #14
    Member Simon888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Thanks guys. It's a bit to look at and with a bit more research and checks, I wont do anything till i'm sure.
    @ Peter T. This was my first brand new car $30k + on roads, after a series of crappy cars, a couple good ones (LC Torana GTR, Fiat 124 Sports AC w/Cromodora CD30 magnesium alloys), and a few motor bikes including an incredably unreliable Ducati 900SS, but it was my favourite. I know this car backwards, and I'm very attached. I just want it a little better.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •