Just my luck
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Just my luck

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default Just my luck

today i thought i would get out and finish ripping the engine apart in the 604 and put new head gaskets in

the plan and beer were going well untill i got the first head off and although i did everything the way one is supposed to do it the rear liner on the drivers side was "floppy"

damn it the engine has to come out so i can redo the liner seals

grab the 3rd beer and start on the other head just to make the job of getting the engine out easier and of course getting the head off in the car is a much easier job (can never work out why people always say it's a hard job with 604's and head gaskets)

Advertisement

anyway as i do valve clearance checks every so often and i check everything while i have the rocker covers off there were two loose head bolts

now this through me as the blown gasket was on the drivers side but doing one head i may as well do both just in case and lucky i did

now the heads were only checked less then 2k km's ago

on the plus side the engine internally is blooody clean
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger

Maybe, the head gasket failed because a liner had settled? Been there with Volvo's. Hopefully, your block is not corroded - been there with Volvo's too! Hopefully these worries had been completely overcome by the time they got to XM engines! (Thinking about it, how ever did I get into another PRV-engined car anyway!) At least you now get to set the liner protrusion properly!

I don't know if the Pug is the same, but Volvo changed the timing cover sometime in the late 1970's by changing the length of a lug on the casting down near the crank. Idiot here managed to snap a cover when I overlooked this and it tried to fit an early cover to a later 2.7 engine. Or was it vice versa? It is mentioned in the Haynes 260 manual anyway, so I should have known better.

nah

gasket failed due to then engine becoming a tad too warm more than once

the engine only has 30k on it

your cover must have been from an early volvo to have that problem, all 604 engines were the modified type
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default Sign of old age!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    today i thought i would get out and finish ripping the engine apart in the 604 and put new head gaskets in

the plan and beer were going well until i got the first head off and although i did everything the way one is supposed to do it the rear liner on the drivers side was "floppy"

damn it the engine has to come out so i can redo the liner seals

grab the 3rd beer and start on the other head just to make the job of getting the engine out easier and of course getting the head off in the car is a much easier job (can never work out why people always say it's a hard job with 604's and head gaskets)

anyway as i do valve clearance checks every so often and i check everything while i have the rocker covers off there were two loose head bolts

now this through me as the blown gasket was on the drivers side but doing one head i may as well do both just in case and lucky i did

now the heads were only checked less then 2k km's ago

on the plus side the engine internally is bloody clean
    I assume it was you that removed and replaced the heads last time as well, how old are you now !

604s heads appear to come off and go back on frequently, do some of the parts go back on by themselves ?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    I assume it was you that removed and replaced the heads last time as well, how old are you now !

604s heads appear to come off and go back on frequently, do some of the parts go back on by themselves ?
    i use wing nuts on them

easier and quicker
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

UFO

Jeez mate, sounds like you needed some expert help! XM Mechanic, XM Driver, SLC 206 and I were all waiting on the call, but you wallowed in!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

well engine is out and the two holes on further inspection from where the loose head bolts came from have pulled threads

now i got this block modified and asked to have everything checked while the machinist had it to make sure all was good

now even though i did overheat the poor girl a couple of times i do tend to think that the reason for the head gasket blowing was the dodgy threads on the one head loosing tension

damn shame it was too long ago to claim a warranty even though the engine has only done 30K

now i do have another block i can use but i might even just get this one heli coiled seeing as i have to pull the damn thing apart anyway

all this added work i really didn't need to do and pisses me off now i know it wasn't my fault
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I think all aluminium engines should have helicoiled head bolt threads. There's a certain 11:1 compression douvrin 4 cylinder in my garage that has all 10 threads helicoiled. Don't want that head moving. The V6 turbo will be the same, but 16 helicoils costs more!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thread Information