Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI

What would be the best spark plugs for my 505GTI? The ones in it have 4 electrodes (showing wear). The recommended (Haynes manual) Champion S7YCC has only 1 by the looks...
    Any advice appreciated, cheers,

Advertisement
    Goonengerry 505

Default good question

I was recommended NGK BP6EFS but I'd be interested to hear of any better options.
    Now it has a set of NGK BPR6EFS. I don't know what the R means. (or any of it!)
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Quote Originally Posted by okalford View Post
    I was recommended NGK BP6EFS but I'd be interested to hear of any better options.
    Kaye,
    R= Resistor type plug.

Thomevans.
    Go for the book recomendation, they will be the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Kaye,
    R= Resistor type plug.
    Thanks Wildebeest, could you tell more; ie when is a ‘resistor type plug’ a good choice over the others? These were put in after no. 1 plug was oiling up.

Sorry to digress a little Thom....
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon

Fellow Frogger!

Not at all Kaye, I also would be interested in whether there could be a performance gain from the extra electrodes for example. Someone was talking platinum iridium...
    Goonengerry 505

Thanks Wildebeest, could you tell more; ie when is a ‘resistor type plug’ a good choice over the others? These were put in after no. 1 plug was oiling up.

Kaye,
    The usual thinking if one plug is oiling up would point to a mechanical problem.

On resistor type plugs. I'd hoped to have turned something up from one of my books which would have provided a clever explanation.
    Here's my description. The internal design of the spark plug intensifies the spark at the plug tip. This would have rectified your 'oiling up' problem?

http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Resistor&mfid=1

dino

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/sparkplug.php#

ps

My opinion...best plug is a "fresh" plug...if heavy fouling occurs I dont recommend multi electrode...going to hotter plug helps...just remember different companies number heat rating differently...some get hotter as number goes down eg. ngk...others get colder as number goes down...
    best bet is to follow manufacturer spec and cross reference to match (most s.p. dogalogues have a cross reference section at the back)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Kaye,
    The usual thinking if one plug is oiling up would point to a mechanical problem.

On resistor type plugs. I'd hoped to have turned something up from one of my books which would have provided a clever explanation.
    Here's my description. The internal design of the spark plug intensifies the spark at the plug tip. This would have rectified your 'oiling up' problem?
    For now, it takes a while to oil up and new leads seemed to have rectified the problem for some time.

Thanks Wilderbeest, there does seem to be a bigger problem, I had written about it on a thread pre the crash. The short story; for other reasons I am looking into getting another car so the 'hot' plugs will get me by for now.

Anyway back on track of Thom's topic:
    Good helpful links dino.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    What would be the best spark plugs for my 505GTI? The ones in it have 4 electrodes (showing wear). The recommended (Haynes manual) Champion S7YCC has only 1 by the looks...
    Hi Thom,

I have Bosch Super 4's fitted to my 505 GTi (leaded engine). There is no other issue (eg plug fouling / oiling etc) & I am getting very good wear from the plugs - in fact none evident at this stge compared with the single electrode types.

In any case, all the earlier advice is still very sound, especially heat range etc, so choose whatever is best in your instance.

Cheers,
    K

1000+ Posts

I haved had bad experiences with Champion plugs in the past, especially with a 504 TI when visiting Queenstown on the wild west coast of Tassie. Let me down something cronic, worst time was about 11pm when there was hardly anyone else on the road. This was a long time ago, but highly memorable. I changed the plugs to KLG and had no more problems. This was long before the KLG factory was blown out of existance during the fighting.

Bosch or NGK would be my selection, the latter one preferably.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone for all the advise - much appreciated!
    Goonengerry 505

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    Im just into my second set of NGK Iridium's after heaps of KM'S and reckon they are great.

They're not cheap, seemed to liven up the motor a tad, quick starts, and double the life of standard plugs I suspect.
    Just my perspective.
    Cheers.
    Pughead2

You'll find all the codes attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Pughead2 View Post
    Im just into my second set of NGK Iridium's after heaps of KM'S and reckon they are great.

They're not cheap, seemed to liven up the motor a tad, quick starts, and double the life of standard plugs I suspect.
    Just my perspective.
    Cheers.
    Pughead2
    Agree, and they should last 100 000 Kms.

I currently have the NGK Iridiums in the 504 and I definetly like them, I would have prefered Denso but couldn't find the appropriate ones.
    I'll be installing them at the next change in the 505 GR & the 405.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI-ngk-spark-plug-codes.gif   Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI-ngk-spark-plugs.jpg   Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI-denso-spark-plug-codes.jpg   Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI-denso-heat-range.jpg   Best Spark Plugs for 505GTI-denso-spark-plugs.jpg  
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Thread Information