307 XSE Hdi EGR valve
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 307 XSE Hdi EGR valve

Anybody had this failure?

Our 307 XSE Hdi has "failed to proceed" due to the electronic EGR valve being stuck in the open position. Apparently it is an electrical (electronic) fault rather than mechanical & the valve, unlike the vacuum types, cannot be serviced.

The failure initially caused a partial power failure (about 70km/hr was the max achievable on the F3 in 4th gear) & a few Km later, total power loss with the engine being unable to be started.

After a tow to Alec Mildren in Artarmon & agreeing to the $150 "diagnostic charge", the diagnosis was as above. The cost of the part is $900 plus labour (incl the diagnostic fee) of $450.

I am sure that if it were not the weekend & we were back home, that a lower cost solution would have been available.

Advertisement

Cheers,
    K

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    Anybody had this failure?

Our 307 XSE Hdi has "failed to proceed" due to the electronic EGR valve being stuck in the open position. Apparently it is an electrical (electronic) fault rather than mechanical & the valve, unlike the vacuum types, cannot be serviced.

The failure initially caused a partial power failure (about 70km/hr was the max achievable on the F3 in 4th gear) & a few Km later, total power loss with the engine being unable to be started.

After a tow to Alec Mildren in Artarmon & agreeing to the $150 "diagnostic charge", the diagnosis was as above. The cost of the part is $900 plus labour (incl the diagnostic fee) of $450.

I am sure that if it were not the weekend & we were back home, that a lower cost solution would have been available.

Cheers,
    K
    Very common fault, I had this on the new 407 that PAA lent me for the Ampol Rerun.
    It was fixed at Cullens in Nambour, as well as a new valve, software had to be downloaded via the internet.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Thanks Graham,

Re the software download, it sounds as if this is essential at the time of replacing the valve??
    Ours is a 2006 model, so perhaps that is a more recent software upgrade.

I guess you did not have to stump up the mind blowing repair costs as well.

Cheers,
    K

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    Thanks Graham,

Re the software download, it sounds as if this is essential at the time of replacing the valve??
    Ours is a 2006 model, so perhaps that is a more recent software upgrade.

I guess you did not have to stump up the mind blowing repair costs as well.

Cheers,
    K
    This was in 2006 so same engine I guess.
    Download seemed to be neccessary.
    They were well prepared for the heat way down behind the engine with gloves and a fan.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Default EGR valve failures on 2.0L 100kw HDi engines are common

Unfortunately they fail on the 100kw 2.0L HDi engine quite frequently.

Before the site vaporised there were many threads in both Cit and Pug forums with this predicament, but usually on a car in warranty. It happened to mine.

Wait till you lose the dual mass flywheel (although it seems that it happens more frequently on other engines) - you can expect to pay more than $3,500 for that job.

All the best

Trevor G

Thread Information