406 Coils
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406 Coils

Tadpole

Default 406 Coils

I've just had a coil fail in my 2003 V6 Coupe. Delphi coils here in NZ are approx NZ$240 or approx A$174. It has ben suggested I use Valeo coils as a replacement and they are way cheaper. Does anyone have experience with Valeo? How reliable are they? How long do they last etc?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I cant say how long they last at this stage. I have had to replace all 6 six coils on my V6 - at about 90,000 km. Valeo is the wayto go - I dont suppose the coupe has anything different to the sedans though - cant see why they should!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

For less than half that price you can get one from Australia:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PEUGEOT-407-4...item4aa784ba1c

or, from the UK for a quarter of the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Peugeot-Ignit...item4cef4adb32

Valeo are a massive company, with a global reach. My work Subaru even has a Valeo alternator! If you think Valeo is to France as Bosch is to Germany, you will get some idea of their size and reputation. Your coupe's electrics would be pretty much 100% Valeo already so one more bit isn't going to be a problem.

Dave
    Last edited by 68 404; 12th January 2011 at 05:07 PM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

Default Coils

Thanks guys----can't believe how cheap they are in the UK. Well worth waiting for them to arrive. Interesting point over here is that it is cheaper to buy from a Citroen dealer than Peugeot, same part etc., different distributor for the country!

a lot of things are cheaper from citroen than pug here...

Quote Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
    I've just had a coil fail in my 2003 V6 Coupe. Delphi coils here in NZ are approx NZ$240 or approx A$174. It has ben suggested I use Valeo coils as a replacement and they are way cheaper. Does anyone have experience with Valeo? How reliable are they? How long do they last etc?

That's a ridiculous price.

I just bought 6 coils and spark plugs for my v6 coupe (2002) from the Pug dealer here (Alpikes) in Perth and I paid $90 for the coils and $25 for the plugs.

I checked ebay and the prices were lower but postage was high - anyway, I went ahead and got the parts from Alpikes as time was an issue for me.

I used valeo coils in my old S16 with no problem what so ever.
    Hope they arrive soon for you.

Cheers
    Andrew

I bought 3 coils just in case and keep them in the boot. The popular theory is that the back (closest to the firewall) coils fail first due to the higher heat. Because of the time taken to remove the intake manifold it is easier to replace all 3, and then work out by trial and error which one is dodge by testing them in the front bank and keeping the remainders as spares. This is assuming you are going to be stuck up the road without a pug mechanic with the diagnostic computer which can quickly tell you which coil has broken down.
    I noticed in the service notes for my car ( 2002 D9 II auto) which i bought second hand with 80K on the odometer it had 2 complete replacement sets by 70K!
    The first spare coil i bought was a Valeo bought from Colliers in Sydney and cost me around $140 posted to my door. I then curiously priced the local pug dealer expecting an outrageous price and picked up 2 delphis in genuine Peugeot parts boxes for $117 each! I get the impression someone is making a killing on these little babies. Mind you the local dealer doesn't carry them - only orders in as required, and took almost 1 week to get them although would overnight them with an extra charge if needed. The ebay link looks good.
    Last edited by davo8; 2nd February 2011 at 10:50 PM.

Another coil has failed on my 2002 SV V6 yet again. One goes approx every 18 months. Irritating as hell.

I've bought some from eBay as I've bought around 8 over the years, around $1,000 worth via mechanics replacing the darned things.
    The three on eBay were $200, around half 'retail' price.

Apparently corroded (old) spark plugs also stress them as the plug's gaps increase over time.
    I have never replaced a coil on a Japanese car....

If it weren't for this and the schizo automatic programming (sports mode excluded), it would be a great car.

Davo8 - good idea. You can buy three on eBay for around $150 delivered from Europe and simply do all three at the back. I bought three and tried the front first but no change. So I got brave and took the inlet manifold off (reasonably easy) and did the three back coils. Problem solved. The fault light also eventually cleared itself after a few days. I would have otherwise paid a mechanic around $600 for the job.

Thread Information