505 GTI Wagon - How to get rear brake drums off
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 GTI Wagon - How to get rear brake drums off

One of my rear brake wheel cylinders is leaking so I decided to replace both sides at the same time.

My car is an 88 505 GTI manual wagon and the brakes are Gilring ones.

This afternoon I tackled the driver's side drum. After taking the wheel off (supported using an appropriate car stand of course), I undid the two little phillips head screws that locate and "hold" the drum in place. The handbrake was off. However, the drum would not budge. I loosened the handbrake cable and the drum would still not budge. I tried to knock if off and to release the shoes with a screwdriver through a ilttle hole in the back by levering the handbrake lever inside the drum, but the thing still wouldn't budge. It would spin so it wasn't actually tight.

Eventually I realised that there are two little threaded holes in the outside face of the drum. It looked like if you screwed a bolt in, the drum would be pushed away from the hub. I just had to find the right sized bolt......I tried a few from my stash and from other bits of the 505 but nothing was the right size.

I have a heap of Lancia Beta spares and grabbed two cam shaft carrier mounting bolts (these bolt the camshaft carriers to the top of the head - i.e. twin cam). They happened to be a perfect fit. I have no idea what the thread size or pitch is, but I was lucky that The italians and French happened to use the same thread on a couple of spots on their cars.

I screwed the two Lancia bolts in and tightened them up. Ah, relief! The drum was released and then came away from the hub easily!

I created this thread because the Haynes manual does not mention these two little threaded holes to help get the drums off and there are a few wagon owners on the forum who might need this information.

I have a bunch of Lancia bolts if anyone wants a couple!

Advertisement

I can take photos if anyone wants them.

The screws you undid that hold the drum to the hub, are also the ones you use to pull the hub off. They are the same thread.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thread Information