306 squeaking on bumpy road
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 squeaking on bumpy road

Hi All,
    Need some help with diagnosing the cause of the squeaks from my 306. When driving over an uneven road there is lots of annoying squeaking. It is hard to precisely locate. Could it be shock absorbers or rubber bushes or something else???

Advertisement

Thanks for your advice.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gasman View Post
    Hi All,
    Need some help with diagnosing the cause of the squeaks from my 306. When driving over an uneven road there is lots of annoying squeaking. It is hard to precisely locate. Could it be shock absorbers or rubber bushes or something else???

Thanks for your advice.
    Could be just about anything in the suspension. Get yourself a kit like this and investigate:

http://www.anchortools.com/product.php?product=497
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Had an annoying squeak in the rear on uneven surfaces and could track it to the rear. Have had rear beam rebuilt and new shockies, bushes etc done and ..............no more squeaks. Still get the occasional one in the interior fittings but these come and go depending on the temperature - shrinkage and expansion of plastics. I would start with bushes and suspension bits and see if that cures the noises.

Fellow Frogger!

"Squeaking" is usually the rear beam in need of an overhaul. Not a cheap exercise, and the longer you leave it, the more damage it will cause. When the sqeeking turns into cluncky noises, the repair bill goes up reasonably, as the bearing will have collapsed and is wearing down the arm in there.

If it is from the rear, you can usually tell though....

Fellow Frogger!

Hehe, beat me to it ! How much was the repair bill if you dont mind me asking ? I need to get mine done very soon. Not sure I want to pay a mechanic though, will probably do it myself.

Icon6

G'day,
    I had a very annoying noise, very slight, could only hear it very early in the morning, when there was no traffic or ambient noise about. I thought it came from the left side, my co-driver thought it came from the right. When I turned my head, the source seemed to change. So there I am at 0400 am in the morning slowly driving along a very long quiet road, touching everything I could think of. Turned out to be the sun visor, when it was in the 'down' position.
    Can't hear it during the day, only during the quiet hours.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Could be just about anything in the suspension. Get yourself a kit like this and investigate:http://www.anchortools.com/product.php?product=497
    G'day,
    in the old days, we used a screw driver bit and a piece of plastic tubing.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    in the old days, we used a screw driver bit and a piece of plastic tubing.
    kinda hard to do that for 5 components at once while the car is in motion I would have thought!
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Default squeaks

dont forget the rear hatch, they squeak also.

Rebuilt by Magic - what a difference to the handling of the car. I also had to have a new top engine mount re welded as the housing had split right through. Probably about a $1k, give or take. Worth every cent and needed doing with 220k's on the clock.

Thanks for all the quick replies and helpful suggestions (this is a great resource).
    This is what's happened.
    The squeaking noise was from the rubber around the rear hatch. I have fixed it, so far, by giving the rubber a generous treatment with Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Dash & Trim Restorer (like a super strength Armor All treatment).
    Also I am intrigued about the rear beam overhaul issue.
    I liked the suggestion about the mechanic's stethoscope (my mechanic uses one).

Thanks much for everyones help.

Much appreciated.
    Currently:306 XT N5 1998, 407 SV 2005
    Previously: 307 CC

Default A rattling Holden......

When I was a kid I had a real good way of bating dad up........

When we were on a drive (usually a Sunday ritual) I would wait till the road got a little rough and would tap a coin on the metal part of the door interior (anyone remember metal parts). And would find it a great sourse of amusement to see Dads ears prick up as he tried to identify the noise, so I would promptly stop tapping.

After he finally settled down again and started to relax, I would start the tapping again..ears pricked again, and again I would stop tapping.

This went on mile after country mile and was far better than counting telegraph poles.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gasman View Post
    Thanks for all the quick replies and helpful suggestions (this is a great resource).
    This is what's happened.
    The squeaking noise was from the rubber around the rear hatch. I have fixed it, so far, by giving the rubber a generous treatment with Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Dash & Trim Restorer (like a super strength Armor All treatment).
    Also I am intrigued about the rear beam overhaul issue.
    I liked the suggestion about the mechanic's stethoscope (my mechanic uses one).

Thanks much for everyones help.

Much appreciated.
    What you really want for the door seals is Gummi Pflege

http://www.waxit.com.au/brandproddet...Gummi%20Pflege
    1992 205 Si

Thanks the Gummi stuff looks good. Will get some and try.
    Currently:306 XT N5 1998, 407 SV 2005
    Previously: 307 CC

Thread Information