504 roof antenna
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 roof antenna

The roof antenna in my 78 504 is cactus. It was a bit loose so I managed to get inside the roof lining to tighten it up but there were bits of broken plastic all over the place. I suspect there is metal to metal where it shouldn't be???? Whatever the FM signal is shot [AM was already dead although I suspect the radio there]. The Question is: Is the long antenna lead still available? Is it a [email protected]#! of a job to thread it down the pillar? OR will it be a much simpler job to put a mudguard mount antenna on like the earlier models at about $10-$20 for one? Neil

Advertisement

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Mine isn't loose but it's letting a bit of water in. How did you get the roof lining back?
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    The roof antenna in my 78 504 is cactus. It was a bit loose so I managed to get inside the roof lining to tighten it up but there were bits of broken plastic all over the place. I suspect there is metal to metal where it shouldn't be???? Whatever the FM signal is shot [AM was already dead although I suspect the radio there]. The Question is: Is the long antenna lead still available? Is it a [email protected]#! of a job to thread it down the pillar? OR will it be a much simpler job to put a mudguard mount antenna on like the earlier models at about $10-$20 for one? Neil
    I've been through this exercise on my 404.

Most aftermarket bee-sting aerials are worth a fortune and many are still sh!te

I went to the wreckers and harvested a 405 antenna and the cable ... $12.00.

You need to pull the plip above the rear view mirror and un-thread the cable. Bank on at least an hour.

The cable is plenty long enough. The antenna mounts into 9.5mm diameter hole, with a m4 hole behind to stop rotation.

You can use the old antenna lead as a draw wire to pull in the new cable.

Fellow Frogger!

The roof lining had at some stage on the past been cut/torn along the top of the windscreen rubber so it was merely by removing the mirror and the sun visors and there was plenty of room to gain access by gently pulling the lining down far enough to get a 10mm spanner or socket on it. A few dabs of glue to hold it back up although I am looking for a metre or so of black plastic packing tape to slip in behind the rubber to make it look neater. If I can't get a 405 one as Robmac suggests then a guard mounted one is looking likely. Neil.

Years ago an auto electrician put a radio in my R12. He used an aerial mounted (glued) to the inside of the top of the screen and it worked a treat. It had a fine cable that ran down the inside of the windscreen rubber. Might be an option if you can still get them, then seal up the hole in the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    If I can't get a 405 one as Robmac suggests then a guard mounted one is looking likely. Neil.
    You mean this ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 roof antenna-img_4819.jpg  
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Fellow Frogger!

Yes- earlier 504's had them on the left here but the later ones had them in the roof.

Fellow Frogger!

Personally I much prefer the roof aerials and always fit them as an alternative to the LHS guard. You will need to fill in the roof hole anyhow so I'd persevere in tracking down a new roof unit.

Cheers

Jim

1000+ Posts

It's unlikley that the cable is at fault unless someone has pulled on it. I would try replacing the antenna and see what happens. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have a cable out of a 405 if needed. I also have a complete 505 cable and antenna if you want that
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for offers of help, especially pugnut1[ sorry I didn't get back to you]. The problem was metal to metal where it didn't ought to be. The solution?? A rubber washer from a garden hose connection outside to replace weathered plastic and the same inside between the2 wires which became metal to metal when some dill overtightened it [no names]. Needless to say it now works fine on FM again but the AM on the radio is obviously cactus as I suspected. Anyone got a working AM/FM cassette radio they don't want? Ta. Neil

Tadpole

Default Removing the antenna

I have been following the thread hoping someone knows if the roof antenna can be removed from above without disturbing my pristine roof lining. The cable is apparantly still in place but according to my ohmmeter there is no connection with the aerial itself. I would like be able to see if it is a simple connection problem without tampering with the old and apparantly original roof lining. Thanks for any advice,
    ianmcc

Fellow Frogger!

You can replace a roof aerial. The details were on here before the crash.

You need to remove the rear view mirror and make a tiny cut in the lining. This is to fit a 10mm (from memory) socket or spanner. Someone may have to hold the aerial on the roof.
    You then lift the lining above the left hand door (pull down the door seal rubber) and the aerial can then be withdrawn from the centre of the car.
    Now the problem. The wiring for the aerial goes down the LH pillar and is clamped at dash level. It cannot be pulled out.
    You will need to buy an extension for your new cable. The cable can be fed down the LH pillar and I cant remember exactly where you have to grab it and pull it through into the cabin area. The extension will need to be used to get the required lengh to the radio.
    Good luck.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Bob, just to clarify, are you saying that you draw the aerial out between the roof itself and the hood lining?
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Tadpole

Thankyou Bob D. That's the information I wanted and I will give it a go.
    ianmcc

Fellow Frogger!

John....hope this answers your question.....from memory once again..... the 'base' of the aerial can be withdrawn from between the roof and the roof lining over the LH door.
    BUT you cannot pull out the cable from down the LH pillar.
    I used a coat hanger type of wire and I think I went down the pillar and hooked some hay baling twine and pulled this up to then pull the end of the new aerial down and out at maybe glove box level......that part is very hazy in my memory.
    It was fresh on my mind when posted a few years ago before the crash.....maybe it survives somewhere out there.

Fellow Frogger!

Well I finally got around to [not] fixing this problem. A new roof antenna was easy to get- $22 at local parts store and it looks like the ones on 505s. The cable is plenty long enough to reach. To get at it, someone in the past had neatly cut the roof lining along the rubber windscreen seal. Remove LHS visor and mirror , rest your head on the dash facing backwards and all is revealed. As to pulling the old lead up or taping the new one to it to pull down.... forget it. I suspect the problem is the plastic hose for the fuel tank-carbon canister link. The simple solution is to cut the old lead at the top and bottom and forget it. Then the trick is to pull the door rubber seal off and gently unseal and lift the lining down the windscreen pillar. It has foam behind it to give it a bit of volume. The new lead is fairly thin so I simply ran it down close to the door seal and under the dash. Fold the edge of the windscreen pillar liner back over the edge of the door frame and refit the doorframe seal. Voila!The lead can't be seen and easy to fit. Along the top of the windscreen rubber I just slip in a strip of rubber edging from Clarkes Rubber to make a neat finish. Perfect!
    What is not so perfect is that the FM is still perfect and the AM almost non-existent, just as it was before I frigged around for 2 hours..... If I touch the antenna the AM improves, whether or not I am touching the car. This is not much use if you are driving!
    The radio also has an earth directly from the body of the radio to the metal of the car, if this means anything. So , back to square one.... is the radio a dud or is there some other issue ? Ironically the original AM/FM radio for this car sat in the garage for 25 years until I put it in my now sold 404 3 years ago.Neil

Fellow Frogger!

More fiddling today but still no luck. Why do little things bug you? Neil

Thread Information