205 GTI Interstate Move. Thoughts Appreciated.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTI Interstate Move. Thoughts Appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I am shortly relocating from Melbourne to sunny North Avoca on the central coast and would like a few opinions on some options that I have. Some of you will know my car from FCD etc, but for those who don't it is a late 89 red 205 GTI in quite good condition apart from a few little things that are making me evaluate what I should do with it.

Obviously with a move to NSW I will need to get a blue slip when I transfer the rego. There are a couple of minor fixes (such as the washer motor) which will be easy to look after, but the real issues are persistent oil and gearbox leaks. My mechanic down here (Carl at Virage) has looked at it recently and it appears to be leaking from all the way around the sump, and the driveshaft seals are intermittently leaking, usually only when the gearbox oil is at a high level. The car also has a clutch that is getting very tired (not slipping yet), and an very strange gearbox issue/noise that only pops up from time to time. The engine pulls very strongly (67.9kw @ the wheels) but is a little rattly when cold but nothing out of the ordinary.

Now, I know there will be a fair contingent of people who will say sell it and then buy another one up there (particularly when you consider it is not a daily drive), but I am a hopeless romantic for my car so that is not going to happen.

Here are some of my options, and I welcome further suggestions:

1. Take the car off the road once up there and undertake a drivetrain overhaul of sorts. With moving, work etc this would probably take me years to complete.

2. Pressure clean the sump etc and drive straight to the blue slip inspection with fingers crossed.

3. Take it somewhere to get the oil leaks fixed up good and proper and persist with the clutch/gearbox until required.

4. Take the car straight to someone (eg Peter T et al) after I move and go silly on the engine and gearbox, then transfer the rego. Either hot 8v or mi16 are both options.

Money required for any of the above is not really an issue for me, and I do intend on keeping this car for a VERY long time. The decision I know is ultimately mine, but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Thank in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Jim.

Advertisement

Bring it over to mine with some seals for the drive shafts, I have a sump gasket and we can do them here before you leave for Sydney... easy.

Drive it up to Sydney and and straight over an inspection pit, some NSW reg on it and keep driving it.

You have my number.

Chris

Unfortunately mate I have zero free time remaining before the move. My life is cardboard boxes and packing tape for the next 2 weeks

The driveshaft seals are quite new too, it's quite odd really.

It's not expensive to have it shipped - it should be less than $400 with Patrick Autotrans. I shipped my car from Melbourne up to Brisbane.

Don't bother getting another GTi, keep yours - you know what needs fixing on it!

You might be interested in the 8v head I have for sale if you plan to keep it simple. It was rebuilt by PeterT with a higher comp ratio and Stage 1 camshaft grind. I barely drove it, unfortunately ... !

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

Just beware that the Blue Slip inspection is a bit of a nightmare - considerably more thorough than a normal Pink Slip (annual) inspection.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Just beware that the Blue Slip inspection is a bit of a nightmare - considerably more thorough than a normal Pink Slip (annual) inspection.
    I have no doubt. Good old Victoria, with our lack of yearly safety checks leading to cars getting this way. The car drives fantastically well, and is in well above average condition, but the previous owners have never had a reason to stay on top of small service items.

Quote Originally Posted by four_plus_two View Post
    It's not expensive to have it shipped - it should be less than $400 with Patrick Autotrans. I shipped my car from Melbourne up to Brisbane.
    I will drive it up as I have a few up and down trips to do. Despite anything I wrote in the original post, it is in very good nick and drives very nicely indeed.

Photo for reference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Interstate Move. Thoughts Appreciated.-fcd03.jpg  

option 4 if you dont have time and have cash IMO, it's the fun option but do what they should have done out of the factory and fit a 16v, forget the 8v.

Default Expensive rebuild costs

+1 for Spar.

Do some research on rebuilding an XU 8v - most of the parts aren't available from Peugeot any more, so quality may be an issue. And realistically, for the cost of rebuilding an 8v (and an early 16v, such as the Mi16 or GTi6) you could look at other replacement low km engine options.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    option 4 if you dont have time and have cash IMO, it's the fun option but do what they should have done out of the factory and fit a 16v, forget the 8v.

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    I have never found this to be the case.
    Maybe they are slack arses around my way but I've never been knocked back for anything in spite of some fairly obvious defects .
    The only issue I had was when the vin was written incorrectly on the origional WA paper work and we took extra time time make sure we got it right for the new NSW paper work.

As far as looking at any of the mechanical systems on the car, i dont believe that anything more than a quick glance was ever undertaken.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I have never found this to be the case......
    ....... and we took extra time time make sure we got it right for the new NSW paper work.
    Jo
    Strikes me it must've taken twice as long as normal.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    Strikes me it must've taken twice as long as normal.

Mike.
    Agh, I have too much time.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Drive it to Sydney, get settled in, do what you have to do and then get the blue slip, assuming you still have some Vic. rego on it. I think that there is a designated time to transfer rego over but this may be 'fiddled', especially for a car which is not a daily driver. Check out the www.rta.nsw.gov.au for details. Re. the blue slip make sure you have ALL paperwork-rego papers, transfers etc. Make sure that the car looks good-polished, blacked tyres, clean interior, cheap seatcovers over any torn seats, good tyres, everything works that is supposed to especially lights etc. Steam/pressure clean engine bay and then stop up the street from the Blue Slip station, park it over a gutter, get under with a rag and wipe away all signs of leaks. make especially sure that the engine no. is clean, along with its surruonds. Good luck! Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I have never found this to be the case.
    Maybe they are slack arses around my way but I've never been knocked back for anything in spite of some fairly obvious defects .
    The only issue I had was when the vin was written incorrectly on the origional WA paper work and we took extra time time make sure we got it right for the new NSW paper work.

As far as looking at any of the mechanical systems on the car, i dont believe that anything more than a quick glance was ever undertaken.

Jo
    Of course they're slack, you're on the northern beaches. Time spent properly inspecting your car is time that could be better spent surfing.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

As has been said....

KEEP IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    stop up the street from the Blue Slip station, park it over a gutter, get under with a rag and wipe away all signs of leaks.
    he he - i like your sneakyness

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    he he - i like your sneakyness
    That trick has been known to work quite well. When my family moved to Sydney in 1987 my parents had to do something similar with our 79 cortina. They had the engine steam cleaned and drove straight to the inspection

Drove the 205 up to North Avoca yesterday. 990kms of which 90% was spent at 3500rpm.

She did not miss a beat all day and returned a miraculous 7.1l/100kms for the day

Well Done. I'm about to do a 600km trip in mine. No air con may make it a pain but I'm looking forward to the drive.

I used to live at North Avoca - Tramway Rd. Been kicking myself ever since I left.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I got lucky with the weather thankfully, so no aircon required. It was nice to spend valentines day with a loved one =)

Lol bet ya glad ya did it now....

Thread Information