205 S3 Driveshafts
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 S3 Driveshafts

Hi All,

Advertisement

I need to look into fixing up my S3 205 driveshafts.
    Unfortunately since my car is a daily I can't really afford to have the driveshafts sent out to be refurbished. I'd much prefer to fit in a replacement set myself but these things are so rare they make hens teeth look common.
    I've heard of the UK boys getting brand new GKN driveshafts. Does anybody know how to get these down under? Are there any alternatives?

There is a mob down in Hawthorn that reco'd my driveshafts inside of a day if you drop them off in the morning. Good price too ($200 for the pair I think).

Chris

cv from a 405 can be used if you can't find 205 ones, i've got them on my driveshafts.

I've used a GKN driveshaft (from Auto France, now closed) but they aren't nearly as good as an original. Totally different CV joint. 405 or 306 CV joints can be used to reco yours.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks for the replies.
    Chris, can you please give me the name of the place in Hawthorn that did your drive shafts?
    I guess I could find some 306 or 405 CV joints and fix them up. Then I can take out the drive shafts, put the new joints in and refit all in the same sitting.
    I've never had the privilege to dissassemble a drive shaft before. Is it something that can be easily done by following the Haynes manual or better left to the experienced?

Address: 4 Victoria Rd, Hawthorn East, VIC, 3123
    Phone number: (03) 98823242

That's them I'm 90% sure. I did have their business card but can't find it. Going by the address, I'm sure that's them. They are round the corner from Regans in Hawthorn.

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Address: 4 Victoria Rd, Hawthorn East, VIC, 3123
    Phone number: (03) 98823242

That's them I'm 90% sure. I did have their business card but can't find it. Going by the address, I'm sure that's them. They are round the corner from Regans in Hawthorn.

Chris
    A and F Driveshafts.
    You need to find the guy in a good mood to get a good deal.
    Graham

I had no problems

Ok i've decided to get these refurbished by A and F.

Now to get them out again. I've done this before and I remember it was a bloody nightmare to get the drivers side shaft out. I used a very long pole and got somebody to bash the end while the other was wedged against the drive shaft. Would this be any easier as it was out in the last 10,000km or am I looking at more epic hammering to get it out? Any advice on an easy way to do it?

Knock the centre cap out your wheel and undo the hub nut that way. You will need a lot force (breaker ball, even with an extension helps)... Once this is done its pretty smooth sailing after that.

Chris

The hub nut isn't an issue for me. I've got access to an industrial torque wrench. It's about a meter long and with a 35mm socket I get the hub nut off easily.

I don't think I communicated it properly but I meant removing the shaft from the gearbox end. I've removed driveshafts from BE boxes twice in different cars and every time the drivers side shaft is very stubbornly stuck inside the gearbox. I need to hammer the shaft out using a lot of force.
    Is this just how they are or do they get more stuck in there over time?
    Ie, will it be easier if I have removed the driveshaft 10,000km earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by slobberingant View Post
    I've removed driveshafts from BE boxes twice in different cars and every time the drivers side shaft is very stubbornly stuck inside the gearbox. I need to hammer the shaft out using a lot of force.
    Is this just how they are or do they get more stuck in there over time?
    Ie, will it be easier if I have removed the driveshaft 10,000km earlier?
    When I removed mine recently, they had only been in 12months (maybe 30k), and as you said, the drivers side was a pain. I'd be interested if there was a better method of removing than the hammer... I couldn't come up with anything.

Not sure what to tell you. Mine came out very easily.

Chris

Default shafts

your better to push them in and give it a good yank out. if this doesnt work there may be a bigger issue, also be carefull when you give tham a good yank as you may lose skinespecially if they decide to come easier than thought.

Thread Information