205 Si - Whiteline Strut Brace
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 Si - Whiteline Strut Brace

In the interests of rebuilding the knowledge base...

I recently bought a new Whiteline front strut brace for the 205. The part number is KSB635. I'm pleased to confirm that it fits the Si with no clearance issues at all.

Advertisement

Will post up more detailed driving notes later, but first impression is that it has made a difference - albeit very conscious of the placebo effect here!

Cheers
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

I've got the same brace on my car too. Without having the opportunity to drive the car on the track yet and no real testing done it's hard to say that it does a lot for road use to be honest - as noted the placebo effect is fantastic, I feel just like Ari Vatanen now I have a strut brace ha ha!

I can tell you that the car feels stiffer in the front though (lifts front outside and back inside when turning into service stations with steep kerb crossings!) and it also 'tramlines' less. It will also be useful for hanging quad coils off :-)
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I have been looking a those too. Can you post a pic for me?

Thanks,

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Here it is, lots of clearance...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Si - Whiteline Strut Brace-strut_brace.jpg  
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Details below, can't remember if that price includes gst or not:

Code: KSB635. Qty: 1 @ AU$196.82 each. ITEM SUB: AU$196.82
    Description: Brace-strut tower alloy adj (1 in pack)
    205 gti-6

Does yours clear your bonnet?

I have one on loan from a friend to see if it was any good and it wont clear the bonnet. Did yours take some "fitting"? If so what did you do?

I'm thinking of getting an OMP one.

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Does yours clear your bonnet?

I have one on loan from a friend to see if it was any good and it wont clear the bonnet. Did yours take some "fitting"? If so what did you do?

I'm thinking of getting an OMP one.

Chris
    Maybe it only works on the Si?
    Even though it only needs to clear the vertical throttle body the Si bonnet has an extra 20mm clearance over a wide area.
    Graham

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by patpug View Post
    I've got the same brace on my car too. Without having the opportunity to drive the car on the track yet and no real testing done it's hard to say that it does a lot for road use to be honest - as noted the placebo effect is fantastic, I feel just like Ari Vatanen now I have a strut brace ha ha!

I can tell you that the car feels stiffer in the front though (lifts front outside and back inside when turning into service stations with steep kerb crossings!) and it also 'tramlines' less. It will also be useful for hanging quad coils off :-)
    I haven't noticed any difference even with the full welded in cage, probably would be different if the suspenion was stiffer. The strut brace is there to reinforce the body for use on rough roads, the strut tower top reinforcement plates will be of greater benefit though.
    Graham

It rubs ever so slightly in the centre of the brace on the black lining under the bonnet. A little bit of 'fitting' would fix that but i haven't bothered as it doesn't really present a problem for me - will eventually need fixing but:

Graham - the 20mm that you mention - is that what you gain by fitting the 'auto' bonnet with the slightly raised section in the middle? Or is it just a cosmetic difference? Mine's a series 3 with the flatter bonnet.

If you do get more room with the bumpy bonnet I think that I'll go for that option in the future.
    205 gti-6

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by patpug View Post
    It rubs ever so slightly in the centre of the brace on the black lining under the bonnet. A little bit of 'fitting' would fix that but i haven't bothered as it doesn't really present a problem for me - will eventually need fixing but:

Graham - the 20mm that you mention - is that what you gain by fitting the 'auto' bonnet with the slightly raised section in the middle? Or is it just a cosmetic difference? Mine's a series 3 with the flatter bonnet.

If you do get more room with the bumpy bonnet I think that I'll go for that option in the future.
    Yes, to clear the carby in the auto and throttle body in the Si.
    Graham

Thread Information