307 Reverse Lights
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AlpineRaven
  • 1 Post By rherber1

Thread: 307 Reverse Lights

Default 307 Reverse Lights

We have a 2007 307 Manual HDI Touring. I have noticed that there is only 1 reverse light operating on the L/H side. Had alook at the globes, all ok. Went a little deeper using a
    Multimeter and found something odd. Checked the plug first, no power at the purple wire for reverse light, but power at the pink wire next to it which went off when neutral selected. Traced the trackes on the globe holder and found that this goes nowwhere and not connected to any globe + contacts. Googled a little last night and found a few o/s sites suggesting that the 307 only has one reverse light on the l/h and the r/h is a fog light. Need some help with this. Does an Aussie 307 only have 1 reverse light? Could someone check a wiring diagram for me and id this pink wire.
    Graeme in the bush

Advertisement

Andrea's 307 only has one reverse light also.

Quote Originally Posted by lockwood116 View Post
    . . . Does an Aussie 307 only have 1 reverse light? . . .
    That's correct.

You can turn on the rear fog light from the lighting stalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    That's correct.

You can turn on the rear fog light from the lighting stalk.
    It is the same for the 2003 307s as well.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Same with the C3.

Same for the 308's (and Ford Fiesta's actually) - only one reversing light. At least the one of the 308 is usable.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Tadpole

Our 2005 307 HDI Touring waggon has only one reversing light. The other side is a red fog light.
    Roger Baxter

sometimes on some cars you get lucky and get 2 reverse and 2 fogs yaaaay!!!!

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks all for the help.

1000+ Posts

Me too the right hand has a red difuser in front of the globe the left has green ,thought this feature may have been useful if reversing on water ,[port and starboard ],at least now i know not to go looking for a fault with the right hand circuit .pugs

We have a 2003 and a 2007 at the moment. The single reverse light on the 2003 is just adequate but the single one on the 2007 is pathetic because of some ridulous fancy red flecking in the lens. Is this typical?

how do I get lucky and get two real, white reverse lights?
    Thanks, Hugh.

Fellow Frogger!

My 307 2007 model has one. I have added external reversing light attached under the tow bar - so much better!
    Cheers
    AP
    borosa likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by lockwood116 View Post
    We have a 2007 307 Manual HDI Touring. I have noticed that there is only 1 reverse light operating on the L/H side. Had alook at the globes, all ok. Went a little deeper using a
    Multimeter and found something odd. Checked the plug first, no power at the purple wire for reverse light, but power at the pink wire next to it which went off when neutral selected. Traced the trackes on the globe holder and found that this goes nowwhere and not connected to any globe + contacts. Googled a little last night and found a few o/s sites suggesting that the 307 only has one reverse light on the l/h and the r/h is a fog light. Need some help with this. Does an Aussie 307 only have 1 reverse light? Could someone check a wiring diagram for me and id this pink wire.
    Graeme in the bush
    I have a 2006 307 turbo HDi 2L auto and in all the years I have had it since new I have never noticed that ONLY the left hand reversing light comes on. The wife noticed it the other day so I thought "Aha, blown bulb".

I consulted the user manual on how to go about changing the bulb and all it says is to move aside the boot trim and unclip the lamp assembly. What an utter lie.... It's a bit more complicated than that I can tell you. Anyway, after succeeding in getting the right hand rear lamp assembly out I discovered the reversing bulb was not blown at all. I verified the lamp assembly wiring links from the bulb socket to the cable socket was OK and the wire going back to the fuse box (behind the glove box presumably) was pink. I then connected my trusty cable tracing tone sender to the pink wire at the lamp end of the cable plug and then with the tone receiver I probed amongst the wiring looms at the glove box fuse panel end. Sure enough I found the correct pink wire but as for going any further I would have to dismantle the glove box and remove the fuse panel to find out where this pink wire ended up. Not exactly a task for the faint hearted so I gave up on that idea. After consulting this forum and seeing that others had a similar problem I decided that Aussie Pug owners were being short changed and that the RHS reversing lamp was deliberately left disconnected.

Not to beaten on this I decided to parallel the RHS reversing lamp with the LHS reversing lamp since that worked perfectly. This meant dismantling the LHS rear lamp assembly and identifying the correct wire colour for the reversing bulb. This turned out to be the blue wire so I then snipped off the pink wire which was alongside it and stripped some insulation from the blue wire and soldered the pink wire from the RHS reversing lamp to it and then insulating it the joint. I then verified that both left and right bulbs lit up (not yet installed behind the bezels though) with the gear shift in the Reverse position. I then reinstalled the lamp assemblies back in the vehicle.

This morning I asked the wife to check out my handiwork and she said "yes, but the RHS reversing bulb glows red and the LHS one glows white". I was flabbergasted to say the least. I immediately wondered if those dastardly French people on the Pug production line had worked another cost saving fiddle on us unsuspecting Aussies. Incidentally, it is illegal in Australia to have one reversing lamp white and the other red. Out came the RH rear lamp assembly again and yes, there it was, the RH reversing lamp hole in the bezel was fitted with a red insert cup. That had to come out so with some judicious levering and prying with a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers out it came with a bit of a struggle. I then checked that this time both reversing lamps glowed white. Job done!

If you feel competent, or you have an electrically inclined mate, then you can undertake the same procedure on your Pug. If you get an auto electrician to do it then I would guess it would set you back at least $150.00.
    Last edited by rherber1; 8th February 2016 at 06:45 PM.
    Armidillo likes this.

Thread Information