Problem with 98' 306 xr - 1.8 16v manual
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    54

    Default Problem with 98' 306 xr - 1.8 16v manual

    Hey guys,

    I decided to degrease the engine on my pug today. Its got almost 200,000 k's on it now.

    I covered all the electrics stuff, alternator, fuse box etc so that they wouldnt get wet. After applying the degreaser and then washing it off with running tap water i let it dry out for a couple of hours. I took it for a spin a couple of hours later.

    When i would put the accelerator 1/3 of the way in the engine would make a weird 'burbling' sound and vibrate. it felt like the car was choking as it had very little power. Im guessing i've got water in somewhere but im not sure what to do with it? any ideas?

    This is the 1st car ive owned so still learning the ins and outs of it all.

    Cheers for the help!

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Sounds like it is running on 3 cyl.

    You really want acces to compressed air when you do an engine wash, so you warm the car up and blow all the moisture out of the electricals, especialy the spark plug tubes .
    Luckily, these issues usually sort themselves out with time and heat.



    Jo

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Thanks for the reply.

    So is there anyway that i can speed up that process or is it only a matter of time and heat for the engine to fully dry out?

    Also if it is running on 3 cyclinders will this cause any sort of damage to the engine? maybe due to the power imballance?

    AJ

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    49

    Default wet 306

    The spark plug tubes fill with water in some cases the unburnt fuel can destroy the catylitic converter take the cover of and blow the water out it is not worth the risk.

    KC MI16

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    There are spray on water dispersement products that help, but again they are most effective when used in combination with compressed air to get all the big drops out.
    IF a spark plug tube or lead is saturated with water, you may have issues.
    IT could be that the moisture is giving your spark an easier/shorter way to travel and is not making it to the end of the plug.

    One other slight issue with degreasing an engine is sometimes you inadvertently move the grease to an area that needs to be conductive like an earth strap or a sensor plug, and grease being an electrical insulator can reduce the metal to metal contact.

    Jo

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Here is a tip for 'next time'.

    After you have degreased the engine, wet down the exhaust manifold.

    Then start the car, and observe the exhaust manifold.
    After about 10seconds, any cylinder that is firing will cause the water to boil off the manifold, and any cylinder that is not firing will stay wet.
    Of course you can perform this test with an infra red temp gun, or even with your finger if you are keen and know how to fire walk.

    Then you can give this cylinder's spark plug /lead the attention it needs to start firing without wasting time on the others that are obviously working.

    Jo

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I took the spark tube cover off today just to have a look before i used the degreaser. from memory it was a panel held in with 6 x 5mm hex bolts. So should i just take this off again and blow it out with compressed air? and would it be alright to use some wd-40 in there as well?

    thanks for the help. sorry im only just learning all this sorta stuff.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! matt_molon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SYDney
    Posts
    192

    Default

    sorry mate no expert on this whole situation but what advice i can supply is yes the additional fuel may destroy ur catalytic convertor and this while murder ur car i know as just had mine fixed today hahahha. so if u have access to a hoist or u have good enough jacks start the car put on a thick glove not to burn urself and sort of hit/ rattle the convertor and exhaust to see if u can hear rattling. if u can then i would take it to a specialist get a second opinion and perhaps do the replacement. it cost me about 500 but i think i might of gotten mates rates. it seems $$$ but if it collapses there is a high potential u will be towing ur care to an exhaust specialist.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

    [email][email protected][email]

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    54

    Default

    thanks for the advice. i started my pug up the next day and all was fine. Must have just been some moisture in the tubes or something. Ill make sure to seal the cover next time!

    The engine looks great after a degrease, i dont think it has been done in the life of the car! It seems to run a bit cooler as well.

    good luck with your pug!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •