What a b@$t@rd of a job.
  • Register
  • Help

Default What a [email protected][email protected] of a job.

Yesterday I did the front passengers side wheel bearing in the 2003 307.
    It has been a bit noisy and grumbles at speed and I though to change while it is still in one piece rather than wait for disaster.

Well......
    It fought all the way.....

Firstly... its a 34mm socket for the drive shaft nut, (not 32mm as advised). A quick trip down to Picton Auto parts for one off the shelf, ($28).
    Jacked up, wheel off, 12yo son on the brake pedal, a big grunt and off came said drive shaft nut, (this is going to be easy I think.....).

Calliper off.
    Tie rod, a quick tap or two and off.
    Then reaching for the T50 to remove the calliper mount...its too bl%%dy small.
    (Funny thing, most all sets only go to T50).
    So... now reduced to taking sons treadly down town in a rush before they close to purchase a T55 torx spanner. You know they do not sell single large torx bits. Well you know now. ($109 for a whiz bang set of bits and pieces that I will never use ..... except for the T55)

Now the ride back in 35 dec C has freshened my senses....not.

Removed the mount and started on the ball joint.....bit of a bash here and there, (trying not to resort to the “belt in” separator to preserve the rubber boot....success).

Advertisement

Tie up drive shaft.
    Unbolt the lower bearing assembly.

I am not the proud holder of the bearing assembly and go to the newly purchased arbour press to undertake the pressing of the bearings, (much like the pressing of grapes with a lot more sweat and grime).

Do you think the hub and spline would yield under the considerable weight of me and a 4' pipe section.... not at all.
    After much more grunting and sweating I resorted to a big rubber mat, lumps of timber a soft copper mandril and a sizeable lump hammer.
    At last it gives....leaving the bearing inner firmly in place on the spline section.

Note to Mr Peugeot designer: What the hell were you thinking, you genius, when you designed a hub where you cannot get a puller under the bearing inner when it is left behind.
    I honed my delicate skills with a grinder and cold chisel to carefully dismember the bearing inner and get it off, (remembering you need this bit to remove the bearing outer shell from the housing....but we are coming to that now).

Oh and a second note to said designer....a bit of casting left over in the right spot would make the housing self level and therefore easier to mount in a press.

I then took the spline and hub and through-mounted it on a long bolt, so as I could put it into the drill press and spin it at low speed to clean up the surfaces with a bit of 1500 W&D paper, (a Dremel will clean off the odd ding), (not too bad considering holding the grinder and trimming the bearing inner was like trying to wash a cat in stone cold water using a wire brush).

I now turned my attention to the bearing outer.
    Removing the circlip was interesting considering the several sets of pliers I have do not open that wide. A Tinker and off it came.
    Again to the arbour press.....not a hope in hell, a couple of hundredweight of me swinging on the pipe an no movement...
    Back to the floor, wood, lump hammer and mindless brute force.

By this time every muscle in my upper body was saying..."its NYE, ease the pain with the carton of Crown larger in the fridge......ease the pain".......I resisted......

Now having see just how tight the bearing outer was in the housing, I took the old bearing complete and mounted it on a long bolt, (using two shouldered sockets top and tailed to located the bolt in the centre of the bearing), I put this into the drill press at slowish speed and took to the outer surface with a grinder with a flap sanding/grinding disc to reduce the diameter 10-20 thou so it wont get stuck when I use it as the insertion mandril for the new bearing.

Clean, clean, clean, a quick polish of the housing inner.

Mount it all up in my new arbour press and try to get the new bearing to go in.....no.

I then resorted to the old school bearing press method....a bl%%dy big vice, her name is DAWN.
    Big Dawn will crush anything...nuts included.

It hopped, screeched and resisted all the way in.
    Tip: Use the magnetic side inner of the old bearing as the mandrill when installing the bearing as it will hold in place against the magnetic surface of the new bearing and is just the right size so as to not damage the magnetic sensor surface of your new expensive bearing.

Then the spline and hub......same, same...a tight fit. DAWNS crushing grip to the rescue.

Back to the car and assembly is the reverse...

Remember the drive shaft is not captive at the gearbox end and will come out, leaking oil into your boot. (Note to self....check gearbox oil level and clean boot).

A selection of Phillips head screwdrivers and podgy bars are handy to realign the mounting bolts for the assembly on the strut bottom. The bolts go in from the front.

Blue thread goo everything.

Do not forget to put the metal boot shield and locking ring back onto the lower ball joint, (a job for next week.....).

Tighten the road wheel, test drive.

Go to the fridge for pain relief.

After 6 hours I was exhausted!

So it can be done.

Remember.
    34mm nut.
    T55 for the brake mount.
    Make sure you have big DAWN to help.
    Last edited by Gamma; 1st January 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Speelink.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Ugly job!

It reminds me of when I had to do a 1979 Renault 5 rear wheel bearing.....outdoors at minus 17 degrees C. The bearing was disintegrating and I had no choice.

Although a simple job, the inner race was left on the stub axle when the drum came off and the bearing cage was falling to bits and the puller would only break chunks of the inner race off ....after an hour of hell it came off but by then I was frozen solid.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

These press in ones I apply the "life is too short" theory to, and hand the hub assembly to a bearing shop for pressing in of bearings.

I admire the perseverance though!

Default Big Dawn.....

Yeah we have all had our moments fiddling with our cars and that is all part of the fun.

Good story Gamma and well written.

If I may contribute a little hard earned wisdom to all, get a can of freezing spray for removing seazed parts, it works...just when you are convinced the $15 can of spray was a waste of money....presto the thing gives and dignity restored. I tell yer the stuff really works a treat.

BTW I think I was married to Big Dawns sister.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Yeah we have all had our moments fiddling with our cars and that is all part of the fun.

Good story Gamma and well written.

If I may contribute a little hard earned wisdom to all, get a can of freezing spray for removing seazed parts, it works...just when you are convinced the $15 can of spray was a waste of money....presto the thing gives and dignity restored. I tell yer the stuff really works a treat.

BTW I think I was married to Big Dawns sister.
    Next time I am getting a couple of litres of Liquid Nitrogen from work.....that will freeze the nuts off a Peugeot.

I did not know you were married to either Anchor or Record. (Watch out for their brother Irwin).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What a b@$t@rd of a job.-ballbreaker.jpg  
    Last edited by Gamma; 1st January 2011 at 08:49 PM.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Quote:
    "By this time every muscle in my upper body was saying..."its NYE, ease the pain with the carton of Crown larger in the fridge......ease the pain".......I resisted......"

You've got patience.....I'd have given up and had 4 or 5 Crowneys

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Next time I am getting a couple of litres of Liquid Nitrogen from work.....that will freeze the nuts off a Peugeot.

I did not know you were married to either Anchor or Record. (Watch out for their brother Irwin).

Yep! that was her all right.....wonder what she's doing now??

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...6&d=1293875153

Fellow Frogger!

The other sneaky trick for installing press fit things like pins and clutch spigot bushes is Dry ice. Cool the part, drop in hole then wait for it to warm up back to a tight fit. They will literally drop right through if you are not careful.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Remember the drive shaft is not captive at the gearbox end and will come out, leaking oil into your boot. (Note to self....check gearbox oil level and clean boot).
    last time I removed a driveshaft I jacked up the side of the car I was working on stupidly high. My idea was that it would make the oil slosh over to the other side of the gear box.
    It seemed to work

Newer Peugeots are indeed huge design failures. Don't you ever guys wonder why they don't want newer Peugeots to africa to replace the older 404's,504's and 505's? Because they are much more horrible to work on!

Quote Originally Posted by Erska View Post
    Newer Peugeots are indeed huge design failures. Don't you ever guys wonder why they don't want newer Peugeots to africa to replace the older 404's,504's and 505's? Because they are much more horrible to work on!
    Not just to work on Erska, but not as reliable as 504 & 505. Peugeot Plant (PAN) happens to be the only automoblile plant remaining in Nigeria, unfortunately, they are loosing market here because they have disappointed Nigerians by not continuing the productiong of automobiles similar to 504/505 designs and qualities. What a shame for Peugeot!

Ikenna.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikenna351 View Post
    Not just to work on Erska, but not as reliable as 504 & 505. Peugeot Plant (PAN) happens to be the only automoblile plant remaining in Nigeria, unfortunately, they are loosing market here because they have disappointed Nigerians by not continuing the productiong of automobiles similar to 504/505 designs and qualities. What a shame for Peugeot!

Ikenna.
    I know that, but I dont want to irritate newer fwd Peugeot owners by saying what you just said!

i gave up on working on suspension components when i was 20 something !

i'll happily remove and strip an engine but the only thing missing from the story was bashing your knuckles x times.

If you guys think a 505 is easy to work on then I cannot possibly imagine how bad newer ones must be!

I want to meet the guy who designed the Dourvin engine an whack him over the head with a baseball bat made from all the skin that has been removed from my knuckles whilst working working on his #^&$#^% engine!

I once worked on a Hilux, it was really well thought out, nothing was in the way of any nuts or bolts, you only need 3 sockets and spanners(10, 12 & 14mm) and everything was easy to access. Where's the fun in being able to see your distributor or starter motor, let alone touch them?

Toyota "enthusiasts" (is it possible for someone to be enthusiastic about a Toyota?) certainly don't know how awesome a socket set uni joint is.

Awesome story gamma, I'm sure everyone on here has similar stories, I certainly know I do!

Thanks

Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by sideways_505 View Post
    If you guys think a 505 is easy to work on then I cannot possibly imagine how bad newer ones must be!

I want to meet the guy who designed the Dourvin engine an whack him over the head with a baseball bat made from all the skin that has been removed from my knuckles whilst working working on his #^&$#^% engine!

Thanks

Hayden
    Having owned and worked on both the new and the old....I want my 505GTI back......

For all its foibles the 505 was and is easier to work on and would appear to be more reliable.
    Once you start to think 504/5 its easy...don’t be afraid....just do it...
    I am sure they will be saying the same about the "newer" Peugeots in 10 years time...
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Great read Gamma and a job well done.

I'd have certainly reacehd for the pain killer before the job was that far along(read before half way likely).

The good wife's words come to mind headily whilst reading your tale. I am always reminded, whilst I am swearing and cursing that at least I have the skills to be able to tackle such tasks and don't have to pay others hellish amounts of $$$. Doesn't help when you are nursing scathed knuckles though.

Haven't had to tackle any such jobs on the Scenic as yet but it's a simple beast except for the Timing belt work from what I am learning.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

The title of this thread - That's just what Aussie mechanics used to say in the 1950's when trying to replace a clutch in a 203 or worse the universal joint behind the gearbox. Owners went into a country workshop very carefully and if a torrent of four letter words and abuse of French design and engineering flowed forth, it might not be the workshop for the job.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post

The good wife's words come to mind headily whilst reading your tale. I am always reminded, whilst I am swearing and cursing that at least I have the skills to be able to tackle such tasks and don't have to pay others hellish amounts of $$$.
    Wow. Your wife is enlightened. Mine will say any/all of
    a: I should have taken it to a garage
    b: I shouldn't have bought a French car
    c: I should have a newer car that doesn't break
    d: It probably doesn't need fixing anyway and I'm just messing with it cos I enjoy it

I have good answers to all of these points but as she isn't listening anyway......

Thread Information