407 engine mount wows
  • Register
  • Help

Default 407 engine mount wows

Hello everyone, a recent routine service of my 05 407 HDI disclosed cracked engine mounts. I have owned this car since new, no accidents or hard bumps and only 89K so this came as a surprise. The mechanic suggested that constant start stop motoring in city conditions might have placed excessive strain on these components. As there is not a lot to these mounts it might also be a design issue contributing (in part) to the problem & might be something for other 407 owners to monitor. I was also advised to reduce the service interval for oil changes down to 5k to avoid expensive problems with oil leaks on turbo diesels.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by petpug View Post
    I was also advised to reduce the service interval for oil changes down to 5k to avoid expensive problems with oil leaks on turbo diesels.
    Personally I use a fully synthetic diesel specific oil and stick to the normal service intervals.
    5k seems a bit short.
    I'd rather use an expensive oil than cheap oil and frequent changes, and I would advise anyone with a turbo charged car to do the same.

I was also advised to reduce the service interval for oil changes down to 5k to avoid expensive problems with oil leaks on turbo diesels.
    Can I ask how reducing the change interval to 5k will avoid expensive problems with oil leaks?

Does your mechanic think that the engine starts springing oil leaks after 5k or did he give you another explanation, ie. was your engine leaking oil or was it just reading a little low on the dipstick?

I know I sound a little cynical ( ) but changing from a 20k/12mth interval to a 5k one sounds a little too much to me.
    Last edited by SLC206; 31st December 2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

to give you an idea

my 806 HDI has 205,000 miles on it
    in 12,000 miles it uses less than a 1 litre of oil
    I have serviced it every 12,000 miles since 120,000 (when I bought it) with Millers XFD fully synth oil. the oil consumption hasn't changed since I bought it

my 607 HDI has 93,000 miles on it and doesn't use any oil at all. nothing. the oil is still at max after 12,000 miles
    it's been on Millers XFD since I bought it at 50something,000 miles
    also serviced every 12,000 miles

common rail diesels don't poison their oil as fast as the old IDI diesels. From memory the pre-combustion chamber on the IDIs causes an uneven force on the piston leading to more combustion gasses getting past the rings, and faster poisoning of the oil. Oil technology has moved on a lot as well.
    Rather than chemical attack due to combustion gasses the attack is now heat due to high power and turbos, hence why I recommend fully synthetic oils as they are more stable at higher temperatures.

It's a long time since I read a service book, but if you're "taxiing" the service intervals are reduced significantly?

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    It's a long time since I read a service book, but if you're "taxiing" the service intervals are reduced significantly?
    Yes - Peugeot Australia consider Australia to be an arduous condition and therefore set 20k/12mth intervals.

I always do at least 20k/year, but for someone that doesn't, there is a case for doing it at least once every 12 months. The OP didn't specify how many km the car does per year, so it's possible it does less than the 20k interval.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

As far as your engine mounts go, I would just assume they have let go after a certain time period, rather that any unusual strain you have been placing on the car.
    Unfortunately rubber aint rubber these days and the modern synthetic doesn't last like the old stuff used to.
    Bring back rubber plantations run by South African nazis with slave labour to make it happen. Not.

Fellow Frogger!

Default You probably meant "Engine Mount Woes"

Hello
    Hello indeed. ;-)

I hope you are using synthetic oil, otherwise your poor old FAP might need replacing sooner than later

Hello Simon,

The reason given to me for the reduced oil change interval was that even with synthetic oil (which is what is put into my car) the oil will become dirtier more quickly in a diesel ( even a modern diesel) than in a petrol engine. As the oil picks up paritlces and gunk it starts to abrade things like seals including those in the turbo as it lubricates. For the relatively modest cost of a more frequent oil change you can avoid far mosre costly repairs later in the engine's life. At least that was the explanation provided to me. Peter

Thread Information