Oh "bother"
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Oh "bother"

Icon9 Oh "bother"

So today whilst reversing out of the driveway the drivers door on my 505 swung open (or maybe was never closed?) and got caught on the gate and wrapped around the guard in pure Land Rover style. That's left a huge channel in the door an a slightly bent guard. Mum was driving it, of course (something goes wrong with it every time she drives it! ). The most annoying/worrying thing, the door wont close, it's quite a bit to low, as you can see in the pictures.

So, question time.

1. Are the doors the same between series 1 and 2?
    2. Is all the central locking, locks and electric windows compatible between S1 and S2?
    3. Is there any tricks I need to know for taking the door off?
    4. Do the guards even come off?
    5. If they do, how?
    6. Does anyone have a light metallic blue door and guard for a 505?

Advertisement

Well done mum, you managed to wreck the only 2 panels on my car that had good paint and weren't dented!

I'm really surprised the plastic trim on the door bent like that, I thought it would of just snapped! Interestingly, there is barely a mark on the inside trim that hit the gate, I thought that would of been demolished.

Thanks

Hayden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh "bother"-505door.jpg   Oh "bother"-505door2.jpg   Oh "bother"-505door3.jpg  

Hi Hayden,
    I can't help much with the answers but wanted to offer my commiserations. I hope you can get it fixed without much trouble. If it’s the same metallic blue as mine I think it is called Arctic Blue. Is yours a series 1 or 2?

I know the front guards come off as I have taken one off and replaced it. The series 1 guards are very different shape to the series 2 though in the way they fit to the bumper bar. I have a spare RH front guard for a series 1 you could have but it is brown and I’m a bit far away.

If it was the right one and you couldn't get a blue one we could see if anyone was travelling to WA from Melbourne these holidays.

ETA Mine's a series 2.
    Last edited by okalford; 31st December 2010 at 12:58 AM.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Quote Originally Posted by okalford View Post
    Hi Hayden,
    I can't help much with the answers but wanted to offer my commiserations. I hope you can get it fixed without much trouble. If it’s the same metallic blue as mine I think it is called Arctic Blue. Is yours a series 1 or 2?

I know the front guards come off as I have taken one off and replaced it. The series 1 guards are very different shape to the series 2 though in the way they fit to the bumper bar. I have a spare RH front guard for a series 1 you could have but it is brown and I’m a bit far away.

If it was the right one and you couldn't get a blue one we could see if anyone was travelling to WA from Melbourne.
    Thank you okalford . I too hope I can fix it without much issue! I'm really hoping that sag in the door is due to damage in the door itself, not the hinges or the body.

According to www.peugeot505.info and the code on my car it's "glacier blue", close enough. It's a really nice colour, suits the car well. It's a 1985 series 2 GTi sedan, manual with the leaded engine, I love it!

Good to know the guards come off, I'l do that tomorrow. Thanks for the offer but I've got a series 1 parts car here so I'l use the one off that if I have to. There's a unregoed metallic brown 505 hiding under a tree in town, I'l check that out and see if it's series 2, I'm 80%sure it's an S1 though. I know of 5 505s within 100kms of me, mine is the only GTi and the only series 2! All the bits I need are specific to those parameters! [/rant]

Thanks

Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by sideways_505 View Post
    Thank you okalford .
    Good to know the guards come off, I'l do that tomorrow.
    Beauty. I forgot to mention that unless the guard has been off before there is usually a strong bonding glue-like material on the edge along where it bolts along the bonnet line. It can be tricky getting them off without damaging them. I was lucky mine had been off before and not so strongly glued back. Maybe some of the wizened Pug blokes can chip is here on what method is best. A sharp knife maybe?

Also I had to access one bolt from inside the car and in my case take out a speaker to get to it.

ETA Whoops, my brain's on holiday; I meant Glacier Blue!!!! Oh well, I think the Arctic has Glaciers
    Last edited by okalford; 31st December 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarity
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon

Ahh, bother.

Yes, the doors are compatible - nearly.

The frame itself is compatible, but you will have to change all of the trim on it, the rear view mirror and obviously the interior trim. The other difference is that the S1 has a body-coloured and chrome strip around the window frames whereas the S2 has it all painted black.

The front guards are different. The two cars have different bumper bars, and attach differently. A S1 guard will not fit an S2 bumper on it, but an S2 guard will fit an S1 bumper, albeit with a big hole in the front of the car where the S2 bumper would normally cover it.

The electrical components are all compatible, but you might want to use the S2 loom in the door, from memory the plugs at the car end are different.

The doors can be removed by either removing the bolts from inside the door, you reach inside with all the trim removed and the window up, or by knocking the pins out of the hinges.

To remove the guards, you need to have the door off anyway. They are held on along the top of the engine bay, the bottom behind the bumper bar and the bottom at the back, look behind the door hinges and it all makes sense.

If you can't find another guard, just repair that one. Dents are easy to repair, so long as there's no rust in them.

Good luck with it all!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Oh, bother indeed. Commiserations Hayden - and good luck!
    Goonengerry 505

Default Get Mum to help

That door'll fix, with your Mum's help. Only seems fair she should assist.
    Open it as wide as you can, ask your Mum to stick her head at sill-level behind the crease.
    Keep slamming it shut until it's straight.
    Might take an hour or two. When the big crease is sorted and there's only a ripple or two needing attention, use her hand instead.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I reckon the hinge will be bent. I bought my first 504 with a rear door that had been damaged in the same way. The damage appeared to be limited to the door but when we put a new door on we found that the lower hinge had also been bent forward, near where it attached to the B-pillar. As a result the door hung low. We managed to put some packers between the door and the lower hinge to align it better but it was never perfect. Really, hinge needed to be straightened up.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Fellow Frogger

Mum was driving it, of course (something goes wrong with it every time she drives it! ).
    No doubt your Mum was upset about it too. Give her a hug and tell her it's only a 505 and it'll be OK.

Thanks guys.

What kind of glue is it? melt with a hair dryer kind or ??

Good to know I can use the door, it's mostly striped. I'd like to fine one in the right colour though.

How hard is it to swap the door glass over? Mine has dark tinted windows, I could the get the new glass tinted though.

I really really really hope the hinges aren't bent, I don't think I'd be able to fix that accurately enough, the nearest reputable panel beater is about 150kms away too.

Thanks

Hayden

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    That door'll fix, with your Mum's help. Only seems fair she should assist.
    Open it as wide as you can, ask your Mum to stick her head at sill-level behind the crease.
    Keep slamming it shut until it's straight.
    Might take an hour or two. When the big crease is sorted and there's only a ripple or two needing attention, use her hand instead.

Mike.
    Oh, bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!1
    Goonengerry 505

Is there an easy way of disconnecting the electrics in the door or do I have to disconnect all the plugs for the electric windows ect and feed them through the little hole in the door? Isn't there just one disconnect them all type plug?

Thanks

Hayden

Found the culprit, the spring that pulls the handle (and the whole mechanism closed) snapped.

F!cking spring.

Thanks

Hayden

Default 505 door

Bummer about the panel damage Hayden. Any progress on the repairs? Pity that you are in WA. I have a series II wreck here with a good door!

James

Well, here she is. Got the door off, I've spent quite a while swearing at the glue on the guard, i'l get it off tomorrow, hopefully.

My super safety 4 ton load rated jack stand.

This is what I've been driving instead of the 505, you turn the wheel, count to 3 and then it turns, the brakes are typical Land Rover, ie they don't really work. 4 liters of Isuzu diesel grunt though! It certainly doesn't corner quite as well as the 505.

Slightly off topic question, did 505s come with a precleaner? Was it an option or?? It's got French writing on it and nice mounts so I assume its factory?

Also, is there any way to check if the hinges are bent?

Thanks

Hayden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh "bother"-sam_1041.jpg   Oh "bother"-sam_1042.jpg   Oh "bother"-sam_1043.jpg   Oh "bother"-sam_1045.jpg  

Default 505

Hi Hayden,

Yep, the "precleaner" thing is factory. My GTI has one also although mine has a knurled brass nut on the top, whereas yours has the plastic one.

The hinges - I would have thought that as they are pretty solid pieces, they would be OK. Your A pillar could be damaged though. You should be able to see if it is bent just by looking at it.

While yours has the wheel off, it is a good opportunity to check out the brake hose on that side and see if it is OK.

My car is looking a lot like yours at the moment - on stands with the front wheels off. Also, mine is Glacier Blue but the paint is totally stuffed. Today I was actually looking at the pre-cleaner thing and wondering what was inside it. I had the air cleaner out as I had to rebuild the clutch hydraulics. I can't get the brass nut in the precleaner undone by hand so I'll have to get at it with the multigrips. It probably needs a clean like everything else on my car. I've just replaced all flexible brake hoses and the steering rack boots on my car. I am about to do the rear wheel cylinders (drums as it is a wagon)..and so it continues.

Good luck with the repair.
    James

It's not very exciting in there, just a fan-shaped insert to spin the air around and send the large lumps of stuff to the outside where they drop into the plastic donut (that is the clear bit at the bottom).

All I ever did to clean it was over turn and bang it (gently of course) on the ground.

Love the jack stand too!
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

Well, here she is. Got the door off, I've spent quite a while swearing at the glue on the guard, i'l get it off tomorrow, hopefully.
    Good luck with that glue Hayden, keep swearing at it lol. Good to see the pics of the work in progress and I look forward to seeing the end results.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon

I could cry, I put the door from my spare parts car on, it would seem the pillar is bent.

I live about an hour away from the nearest panel beating workshop too.

I've been waiting over 2 months for 505v6 to send me the parts I need, if your reading this mate, please send them over!

Even better, I can't find anyone to machine Rubys (my 403) head, I either get no reply, "we're flat out" or, the honest guys "it's old and French, we wont touch that".

I have such good luck with cars.

Fellow Frogger!

I could cry, I put the door from my spare parts car on, it would seem the pillar is bent.

I live about an hour away from the nearest panel beating workshop too.

I've been waiting over 2 months for 505v6 to send me the parts I need, if your reading this mate, please send them over!

Even better, I can't find anyone to machine Rubys (my 403) head, I either get no reply, "we're flat out" or, the honest guys "it's old and French, we wont touch that".

I have such good luck with cars.
    Sincere commiserations mate - hope the journey is about to get much easier...

Sid'
    Try "Mettams Engineering" In Greenwood WA.
    Whoever you approach there will be no cheap way out.

Try some economies in your life i.e. Keep Mum away from your cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    Sincere commiserations mate - hope the journey is about to get much easier...
    Thanks mate, I hope it get easier too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Sid'
    Try "Mettams Engineering" In Greenwood WA.
    Whoever you approach there will be no cheap way out.

Try some economies in your life i.e. Keep Mum away from your cars.
    Every time she drives it she manages to break something, never thought she would to such a good job of breaking it though.

Greenwood is about 450kms from me and it'l have to be trailered there so it's a a bit too far, I'l keep it in mind if it does end up going up there though. I know it's not going to be cheap but mums paying for it!

Thanks

Hayden

Sooooooo..... On Friday I picked up the panels from the depot in Perth. I was sooooooo freaking happy to finally be getting them!!!

But wait, because of 505V6s packaging incompetencies, the paint and trim on the door are stuffed. (see attached picture) I cut those wires just before I took the photo... Why the hell would you wrap fencing wire around the door?!? So of course, during shipping the wire has rubbed against the door and rubbed the paint off(down to the metal in one spot), scratched the shit out of it, cut into the black trim stuck to the door and messed up the trim where the window goes. Aside from that, there's a big scrape on the back edge. I was under the impression I was getting a good door, it may of been a good door when it was sent but it was certainly never going to be when it got here... I would of just repainted the SRis door the right colour if I had of known it would turn up like this. That wouldn't of taken 4 months and probably wouldn't of cost any more....

I haven't unwrapped the guard yet (which thankfully was wrapped, unlike the door..), not sure if I really want to.

Not happy, not happy at all....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh "bother"-sam_1413.jpg  
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

Don't blame you for being unhappy, how the hell was the door supposed to arrive undamaged if it wasn't wrapped at all? I can't see any reason for the wire either, but if there is a reason, surely tape would have been the stuff to use.

I'd be wanting my money back.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

If this wasn't such a pain in the a** and a waste of $$ for you Hayden, for which much sympathy, it would be quite funny:

Quote Originally Posted by 505v6 View Post
    grow up and just do it right.
    Goonengerry 505

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information