504 - locked out of the engine bay!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 - locked out of the engine bay!

Went to pull the bonnet release cable yesterday - the cable pulled but the bonnet is still firmly shut!

Is there a tried and true method of releasing the catches from underneath/wheel arch/grille etc.?

Hopefully I'm not the first goose to think "hmm, this cable is a bit stiff: I should do something about that one day" and then leave it too late.

Thanks,
    Rohan

Advertisement
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
    Went to pull the bonnet release cable yesterday - the cable pulled but the bonnet is still firmly shut!

Is there a tried and true method of releasing the catches from underneath/wheel arch/grille etc.?

Hopefully I'm not the first goose to think "hmm, this cable is a bit stiff: I should do something about that one day" and then leave it too late.

Thanks,
    Rohan
    Hi Rohan,

I think all the action is under the bonnet. IIRC there are twin catches. I would be looking at removing the grille or LHS headlight (easier if they are twin). If you pull the cable on LHS it should release both.

I've new had it happen , Scott may be a good guy to ask since he has a 504 "on the bench" at the moment.

OT I assume you got my PM with the address. When are you doing doing the run?

cheers

Rob

I agree, either by removing the grill or headlight. That is, unless you have extremely long arms and can reach up through the engine bay.

Grill could be tricky becuase the screw could be facing the wrong way. Headlight would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    I agree, either by removing the grill or headlight. That is, unless you have extremely long arms and can reach up through the engine bay.

Grill could be tricky becuase the screw could be facing the wrong way. Headlight would be easier.
    I think the screw is accessible from outside - otherwise if would be behind the radiator?

If this is the case - a pair of fine pliers of the sharp end and hope the speed clip isn't rusted?

I just can't remember exactly... been too long....

I think the engine bay will open around Jan 14 after it's had a few weeks off.
    Happy New Year!

Fellow Frogger!

Success!

Thanks for the suggestions. There are indeed twin catches - the cable from the cabin runs to a cam, which both opens the left catch and pulls a cable that opens the right catch.

My method was to use a steel bar 1000mm long to rotate the cam on the left catch (push it where the second 'right catch' cable attaches) from underneath. Probably took longer to find the right push stick than it did to use it! I don't know where the bits for power steering or aircon go, but they could make it a bit trickier.

Rob are you around tomorrow, say 10am?

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
    Success!

Thanks for the suggestions. There are indeed twin catches - the cable from the cabin runs to a cam, which both opens the left catch and pulls a cable that opens the right catch.

My method was to use a steel bar 1000mm long to rotate the cam on the left catch (push it where the second 'right catch' cable attaches) from underneath. Probably took longer to find the right push stick than it did to use it! I don't know where the bits for power steering or aircon go, but they could make it a bit trickier.

Rob are you around tomorrow, say 10am?
    Yes I'll be around. If I'm not somebody should be home, I'll be out walking the dog and 10:00 am is approx. return time

cheers & thanks

1000+ Posts

When Peugeot adopted the alligator bonnet with the 203 they were so concerned about such a thing happening there is a section in the early 203 handbook on how to release the bonnet from underneath.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I think the screw that held the grille in was accessed from inside - so if you look closely at the top of the grille from outside you'd see the sharp end of a screw looking at you! I think this was a security measure. I recall reading an article in Torque telling how to turn this screw around so the grille could easily be removed from the outside... just in case you needed to open the bonnet from outside the car!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    When Peugeot adopted the alligator bonnet with the 203 they were so concerned about such a thing happening there is a section in the early 203 handbook on how to release the bonnet from underneath.
    I didn't think to check the owner's manual, but perhaps I should have. There is a section on how to lock-up the fan if the magnetic clutch fails.

Yes, the grille screw has the pointy end facing forward. Cutting a slot in the end of that screw wouldn't be a bad idea, but really the push stick method is easy peasy. I'd only consider it because I almost always have a screwdriver with me; rarely a long steel bar!

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Congratulations on coming up with the push stick method! Never thought of that.

I've turned that grill screw around on all the 504's I've owned, just in case the cable breaks.

Icon10 Coronary here I come.........

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    And when mine splutters to a halt some moonlit evening while giving Sophia, Raquel, and Brigitte a lift home from the bingo and the cable snaps I'll have the perfect excuse to tell 'em, "Sorry girls, looks like we're stuck here. I know a guy who knows how to get under the bonnet but.............."
    Hell, my obituary would make interesting reading.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Thread Information