Code Scanners
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Code Scanners

Default Code Scanners

Was thinking about buying a code scanner as the local garage charged $40 to read my car and it took only 5 mins. Now the fault is back, I don't want to fork out more $$$ to read it again and erase. Ebay has a couple different models:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ScanGauge-II-...-/260673794516,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OBD2-SCANNER-...item20b48e3698,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Auto-scanner-...item2eb04c3992,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Professional-...item2a0ad04fce.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

recall Silicon Chip article a while back, might be at your local library.
    http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_111859/article.html otherwise they'll sell you the whole issue for $8.80

Seem to recall that there were tricks and traps cos some readers wouldn't do all cars as the manufacturers are allowed within the code system to use some "things" for their own purposes....

cheers,
    Bob

I have one that I bought in the US a few years back - link - but it certainly didn't cost as much as the price listed on that page.

I'm reasonably sure the 206 uses the KWP2000 protocol and the one I bought seemed to work fine with it. It was able to read codes and delete them on my GTi180 - which was good when it got confused about the immobiliser ring around the ignition barrel one day.

Have you given it an Italian tune up yet?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Default Italian tune ups...

Always a bit of 'fun' doing the Italian tune up, also referred to as the "Granny tune".
    Step one; Almost run out of fuel and replace with high octane fuel with injector cleaner.
    Step two; Get up real early and take car to a 'private' test track/road and after warming to temperature give the car a right thrashing! Have an assistant with you to watch the rear view mirror to, A Check for Official types and B See how much debris is exhausted.
    Step three; Drive back to base and check results. If the same replace spark plugs, O2 sensor if the resistance isn't correct and a blast of Oxy sensor/etc cleaner. Repeat as required, or your points run out!
    Have a good friend who back when you had to pay a toll on the Westgate would give his Dad's car an Italian tune, Maserati Bora. Maximum speed on the bridge was 100 km/h and this was achieved in first gear, then held and exited. After giving way to traffic a repeat performance was done and return home. The Maserati always seemed to have a bigger grin afterwards.

Yep, have given it the Italian tune up already. Used the F1...... sorry the F3 freeway as my test track around midnight last week. I've got a new fuel filter ready to go and the fuel light came on today. I'm steering away from Shell 95 RON as I had a bad batch of it which started all my troubles. Will give Caltex hi-octane a run tomorrow and maybe another Italian job. Double demerit points and plenty of candy cars around atm. Just need to get a code scanner now to clear the codes(P3011-Fuel pump relay short to positive and P1153-Bank 2 fuel control shifted lean)

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Normally the codes will drop from permanent to intermittent after the fault has disappeared, and the warning light will go out.
    It might need to be restarted and run a few times before it's convinced that the fault has gone though.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    Normally the codes will drop from permanent to intermittent after the fault has disappeared, and the warning light will go out.
    It might need to be restarted and run a few times before it's convinced that the fault has gone though.
    AFAIK, anti-pollution faults need at least two good starts to clear properly without intervention, but I'm not an expert on these things.

I'm also curious about when the fault occurs. If it happens soon after starting, it could well be your battery is on the way out, ie. not providing enough oomph to the fuel pump to get the required fuel pressure in the rail during starting. You could try turning the key to on and waiting a few seconds before cranking the motor. If it's happening after sitting overnight I'd be investigating that angle.

Another strong indication of a dodgy battery that still seems to start ok, is a bong or ping noise from the dash when turning the key to start.

I suppose a blocked fuel filter may also cause the fuel pressure issue, or you may indeed have a failing fuel pump.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

SLC206 I think you are onto something. There is a bong sometimes when starting and the fault light started not long after that. Maybe I will get a new battery anyway. Its 5 years old so that's not a bad innings.

Quote Originally Posted by NXT206 View Post
    SLC206 I think you are onto something. There is a bong sometimes when starting and the fault light started not long after that. Maybe I will get a new battery anyway. Its 5 years old so that's not a bad innings.
    Aha! I don't recall you mentioning the bong in your previous thread. Five years is a good innings.

There was a lengthy discussion on the "bong" before the great 2010 forum crash - mainly related to 307s, but alas it's vanished into the ether now.

Be warned - European sized batteries (DIN55) are not cheap.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Pardon me for being dopey.What do these code scanners scan? Fault codes with the ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    Pardon me for being dopey.What do these code scanners scan? Fault codes with the ECU?
    Not dopey mate. A good website I found for info on the 206 is http://www.206info.co.uk/index.php which has helped me a lot so far.

This is the one(Scanner) I bought last week off ebay for $100.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Grade-OBD-II-...item3360e76479

Checked the voltage of the battery today and gave a 12.67 V reading so I think it is still OK. Also did a BSI reset but the Anti-pollution fault is still there. When I get the code scanner I will find the codes then do a reset. Fingers crossed it will disappear.

The fuel filter was replaced last week and the best way to describe the fuel in it was BLACK. Was quite shocked. Also the fuel watchdog is on the case now. They have had several complaints from this servo already.

Just a note of caution. My 1998 306 has the OBD shaped socket, but in true French fashion is not compliant with the protocol, so I have to take it to the dealer for a scan.

Received the code scanner and checked for faults. It had one fault which I reset and that was 3 days ago. No problems since. Must have been the fuel for sure. Will not buy from shell again.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Aha! I don't recall you mentioning the bong in your previous thread. Five years is a good innings.

There was a lengthy discussion on the "bong" before the great 2010 forum crash - mainly related to 307s, but alas it's vanished into the ether now.

Be warned - European sized batteries (DIN55) are not cheap.
    i think only the 307's and 206's "bonged". on the 207/308 etc you may notice the wipers operating, a sign that the BSI has restarted or not operating correctly (possibly from not enough power?) especially if its not starting. the wipers also operate continuously during BSI downloads and upgrades. even more sad when someone came in with a wiped BSI... ruined my day

This scanner looks worth considering and it is only $249 from a seller in Sydney (autoscanners.com.au). It is specifically for French cars from 1996 onwards.

http://www.autoscanners.com.au/index...&products_id=9

Has anyone tried one - I am interested in buying one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Code Scanners-fr704-all-parts_lrg.jpg  
    Currently:306 XT N5 1998, 407 SV 2005
    Previously: 307 CC

I have just bought the Maxidiag FR704 scanner and it works well for my 1998 306 16v 1.8l petrol engine. It reports engine (ECU) codes, Airbags, and seat belt pre-tensioners. It will also do ABS if I had that. Recommended.
    Currently:306 XT N5 1998, 407 SV 2005
    Previously: 307 CC

Thread Information