405 Mi16 Rear Shock Removal - HELP-!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Mi16 Rear Shock Removal - HELP-!!

Hi All,

Advertisement

I am trying to remove the rear Koni Adjustables from my written off S1 Mi16 and i cannot budge the top nut on the drivers side and the bottom nut on the passengers side. I am now defunct of both knuckle skin and patience!! I have tried ratchet, breaker bar and rattle gun with 24mm socket and soaked with CRC but no joy. Any suggestions or tricks??

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Default cheeta bar

have you tried slipping a length of pipe over your bar to give more leverage ,you could also try putting a lump of wood or a jack under the end of the bar then let the car down gently off the jack using the weight of the car to loosen .make sure your turning it the right direction PUGS make sure the car is adequately supported

Have you considered dropping the entire rear suspension. From memory it wasn't many bolts, and if it's written off then cut (and drain to a suitable receptacle for later recycling for the tree huggers) the brake lines. Then you can use a grinder to really show the shock bolts who is boss. (Insert appropriate Tim the Toolman grunt here...)

Default Success!!!

I had to go to Autobarn today to buy another 24mm deep socket after i split the last one trying to get these bloody bolts off the rear shockers, when i walked past the lubricants section and had a look at "Loctite Freeze and Release" aerosol can. Not cheap at $15.95 a can but i thought i'd give it a whirl. Sprayed on, waited two minutes and hey presto, they turned with only moderate force and came off very easily. WD40 and CRC didn't cut the mustard either so to all Froggers - keep a can of this stuff handy it's highly recommended!!

Cheers

Anthony

Thread Information