505 5spd Manual Wanted
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 5spd Manual Wanted

I need to get a 505 on the road in NSW for under 2 grand if possible. As per my previous post I was really after a diesel but manual ones seem to be a bit out of that price range. Similarly whilst a wagon would be great, I am happy to get a sedan as we have a GTI wagon in the family already. Definitely want a manual though as we live up in the hills and 90% of our driving is up and down and I find myself driving the auto as a manual a lot of the time anyway. Plan is to convert the wagon to manual later on but not in the budget just now...

The Story:
    Just got rid of the little buzz box (Daihatsu ) the wife was driving so need a second car at some stage before too long before she kills me! Had to sell it as it just wasn't safe enough in my mind for her and the kids with all the idiots out there on the roads. I guess I didn't have to sell it without telling her, but she was a bit attached to that little piece of @#$%! Good news is she is a convert and is now thoroughly enjoying the 505 .

People have been trying to persuade me to go with a 405 SRDT but they look like just another modern car to me and I love the ride and handling of the 505 on these greasy windy back roads and potholed dirt roads and driveways. Any comments?

Advertisement
    Goonengerry 505

Check ebay.

I got my S2 manual leaded GTi Sedan for $1000 from some people who didn't really kow what it was, they were going to send it to the wreckers.

Over the last month or 2 there was a S1 GTi executive in the Quokka (classifieds news paper) for $300, an SRDT for $700 and a SRDT, 2 litre STi and GTi executive all for $1800, why do I have to have no money! Anyway, just proving they are out there for cheap.

Good luck with the hunt, I'd get a 505 over a 405, more practical and well... It's a 505!

A diesel is going to be difficult to find, for cheap too, worth the effort I imagine though.

Thanks

Hayden

I have a 505 SRDT 1985 model manual you can have for $1500 if you like. It's not the prettiest paint wise, but it's incredibly reliable and economical. PM me if you're interested.
    Leon.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

I'm sure the little Daihatsu served her very well. They made excellent small cars (especially in the early 90s) before Toyota pulled them from the Australian market.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Default Daihatsu Sirion

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    I'm sure the little Daihatsu served her very well. They made excellent small cars (especially in the early 90s) before Toyota pulled them from the Australian market.

Dave

Yes I am a bit harsh on the Sirion - the motor is quite cool - 1.0 litre 3 cylinder ohc and runs on the smell of an oily rag, quicker than my 505GTI. Very unpredictable handling however, and it didn't feel safe on these back roads up the hills with my two kids in the back. It has front air bags but I don't see them helping much in a head on with a prado. There are many 4wds around here these days that never see the dirt, because they are always being driven in the middle of the road.
    Goonengerry 505

I have a 1983 Familiale manual - petrol engine - for sale.

Price is negotiable.
    PM me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    Yes I am a bit harsh on the Sirion - the motor is quite cool - 1.0 litre 3 cylinder ohc and runs on the smell of an oily rag, quicker than my 505GTI. Very unpredictable handling however, and it didn't feel safe on these back roads up the hills with my two kids in the back. It has front air bags but I don't see them helping much in a head on with a prado. There are many 4wds around here these days that never see the dirt, because they are always being driven in the middle of the road.

How quick a car is shouldnt be a criteria in choosing a car to buy or own. How a car handles on a road should be giving more consideration. Is the car good enough to protect/save life? With this, you will have to consider the suspension, body structure, brake, etc. All these matters on a highway. I pity people i see driving KIA picanto on highways. Summary of my point is that 505 was designed to save lives, not just for fun you derive while driving it.

Ikenna.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikenna351 View Post
    How quick a car is shouldnt be a criteria in choosing a car to buy or own. How a car handles on a road should be giving more consideration. Is the car good enough to protect/save life? With this, you will have to consider the suspension, body structure, brake, etc. All these matters on a highway. I pity people i see driving KIA picanto on highways. Summary of my point is that 505 was designed to save lives, not just for fun you derive while driving it.

Ikenna.
    Exactly - that's why I love the 505, amongst other things. Safe. Good handling and fun is an added bonus. Plenty of room. Power steering makes them easy for anyone to drive. Comfortable. I could go on....
    Goonengerry 505

Thom, just sent you an email.

I missed the "5spd" bit.......I have a Haynes Manual, not a whole car!

WHOOPS!
    Cheers
    Stuart
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man View Post
    Thom, just sent you an email.

I missed the "5spd" bit.......I have a Haynes Manual, not a whole car!

WHOOPS!
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Bahahaha! To be fair you're not the first one to make that mistake - my misleading subject was at fault, sorry...
    Goonengerry 505

Tadpole

I've got a 1986 505 (Series II) manual sedan that I would love to see go to a good home. I am in Melbourne though, which may be a pain.
    Let me know if that is of any interest.
    Cheers,
    Michael
    (apologies if this is posted in the wrong place or wrong way - long time lurker on the forums)

Thread Information