405 Diesel oil leak Question...
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 Diesel oil leak Question...

Hi. I have a 95 model 405 1.9 Diesel wagon with an engine oil leak . I have washed the motor down to see if I can trace any fresh new oil leaks, so time will tell if there are any of the usual engine leak gremlins.

Advertisement

My main oil concern relates to the air filter area. When I removed the air filter I discovered that the lower part of the filter is soaked with engine oil and I presume this could only be coming from the engine crank case breather system. I'm not familiar with how the crank ventilation system on this model operates but I am hoping that there might be some kind of baffeling or one way restrictor that should otherwise limit oil vapour from getting up to the air filter. Can anyone please advise what might be causing this and if this is a simple or common fix?.. I suspect that this might be the source of my leak as the excess tracks its way out of the filter box and along the air intake pipes leading up to the air filter box.??? I've been hunting for an online 405 diesel workshop manual but haven't been able to track one down. Advice is very much appreciated. Cheers & Merry Christmas all.
    Last edited by patanga; 30th December 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Yes that oil you see in the airbox and air intake pipes come from the crankcase breather hose. As far as i know its a normal occurance.
    Mine also had heaps of oil coming from the breather hose, so i fitted a catch can to reduce the oil that gets through.
    I'll try post up a few pics to show you my set-up.
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Default My home-made catch can

Here are some pics of my home made catch can.
    Its made from an air compressor water trap, but it catches the oil vapor just the same.

Look up on google about home made catch cans, there are tons of people offering tutorials on home to made them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405 Diesel oil leak Question...-p170910_10.46%5B01%5D.jpg   405 Diesel oil leak Question...-p170910_10.47.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Thread Information