2005 307 Hatch HDi Front Rotor Change
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2005 307 Hatch HDi Front Rotor Change

Hi all,

I'm about to change the front rotors and pads on my 2005 307 hatch HDi. I don't have a workshop manual, so I don't know exactly what I need to do, and I wanted to check that the following procedure will suffice:

1. Loosen wheel nuts;
    2. Jack front of car;
    3. Remove front wheels;
    4. Remove and support callipers;
    5. Undo two locating screws on each rotor;
    6. Remove front rotors;
    7. Remove old pads from callipers;
    8. Wind in brake pistons;
    9. Fit new pads;
    10. Fit new rotors;
    11. Re-fit callipers;
    12. Re-fit front wheels;
    13. Lower car;
    14. Tighten wheelnuts; and
    DONE!

Any other things I should be aware of? Are there any torque settings for the brake calliper bolts or rotor locating screws? I have missed out the assumed steps such as bash knuckles, swear profusely, drop tools so that they roll to inaccessible locations, etc...

TIA,

Advertisement

Ewan

I'm pretty sure the front pistons just compress, Ewan. It's only those silly CitroŽns with handbrakes on the front that need winding.

It's easier to do this with a large screwdriver before you remove the disc and caliper, as there are more things to lever off. Just be mindful of the brake fluid reservoir level when you compress the pistons.

It shouldn't need adjusting if you are just replacing the pads, but it may.

When was the last time the brake fluid was replaced?

The disc retaining screws don't need to be very tight at all - they are easily sheared or damaged. They'll probably be T30 torx screws as well, so make sure you have the right tools.

Here is a similar guide for the 206 GTi front brakes, which are basically identical:

Changing front brakes
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks - that's brilliant!

Ewan

Sounds to me from that list your pretty good and know pretty much what your doing. I may need to pay you a visit if you were in Sydney.

Tadpole

In the end it was possibly the easiest rotor change I have ever done on any vehicle. The only problem was locating the correct Torx drivers. I found a set at Bunnings for $30 which had a fair range of sizes.

I removed the calliper bolts only - I couldn't remove the slider bolts, but I was able to replace the pads and return the piston by hand anyway. The major difficulty was centering the calliper in the slider itself, but it wasn't actually that difficult - there's not a good hand-hold available, that's all. I think the whole job took less than one hour, which included running around looking for tools in my shed which hasn't been organised since I moved in...

I used a smear of anti-seize compound between the rotor and hub, and threadlock for the calliper bolts and rotor locator screws. The threadlocking compound is possibly pointless in something like brakes where the operating temperature is so high - I expect that the compound will soften when the brakes heat up.

Finally, thanks to SLC206 for the fantastic link.

Ewan
    Last edited by dukbilt; 9th March 2011 at 05:54 PM.

Tadpole

Well, after two months it seems that my warped rotors have returned. I can get them machined for $40 (I assume there'll be enough metal on the original set, otherwise I'll have to pull the new set off and drop them in), or I can buy a new set of DBA rotors (part number DBA2274) from Supacheap for $200.

Has anyone else had issues with discs warping?

Thanks,

Ewan

1000+ Posts

You bet I have, 7 sets. Pissed off got the last set (all free from Peugeot) and put on the DBA. Shop around Bursons, etc may be cheaper. I think I paid around 130 each on a 307 Touring, same car 3004 model.

Matt

Tadpole

I bought a set of DBA rotors and picked them up yesterday (DBA2275?) for $230 a pair. They're just plain rotors (no slots or cross-drilling) but I hope they'll be find. I'm returning the old rotors for a refund.

Thanks for your info,

Ewan

Thread Information