205 rear suspension - minimal height increase / decrease increments
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 rear suspension - minimal height increase / decrease increments

Hi All,

Advertisement

Earlier this year I had the rear of my car raised by a mechanic who is well respected by this board in order to clear some slightly bigger tyres. At the time he said that the rear suspension of the 205 can only be adjusged up/down in rather large increments, so whilst I now have enough clearance, the rear end of the car is too high and gets loose under hard braking. Put simply, it doesn't inspire confidence to push on.

So, was I provided with incorrect advice or is the above true for the 205? Based on my experience on other cars with t-bars (911s), I was under the impression that you could make quite small adjustments, e.g. 5mm, not 20+ mm.

Any thought appreciated.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Fellow Frogger!

It can be adjusted by any amount you want. The advice is incorrect.

Tim

+1 on the above. It can be whatever you like.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    +1 on the above. It can be whatever you like.
    You need to remove the torsion bar, set the height by means of a suitable length dummy shock absorber then replace the torsion bar, rotate it until it slides in easily, then of course the same for the other side and torsion bar.
    If you simply remove the trailing arm and move one spline then yes only 20mm increments are possible but a vernier effect is obtained between the splines at either end when the bar is removed completely.
    Graham

Would you like to borrow a dummy shock absorber for your mechanic?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Langers - i've got a guide i can email you, so you can do it yourself at home if you want?

Fellow Frogger!

Cool...

I've just received a set of Konis to be installed, so once I've done that, had them settle and have removed the rear seats and trim I'll get the car lowered a bit (10mm - 15mm will be ok).
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

The torsion bars have an unequal number of splines on the ends , if you turn the torsion bar one spine at each end you get a very small adjustment , approx 1-2mm ride height. This is the differance between 20 splines on one end giving you 1/20 of a full turn ie. 18 deg. and 21 splines on the other giving you 17.1 deg resulting in a change of .9 deg. of the arm

If you move the arm one spline at one end only you get a large adjustment approx 20mm. that is 18 deg.

Mark the position of the splines at each end before you start.

Or just measure the distance between the shock bolt centers...

I can't upload the pdf as it's 458kb

Fellow Frogger!

So here's a question... the new rear Koni yellows that I've bought are gas pressurised and I absolutely CANNOT compress them 1mm by hand, even putting all my weight behind it.

What are the tips and tricks for compressing the shocks slightly so they can be fitted on the car?
    1992 205 Si

Fellow Frogger!

FFS! Fit the shock, then jack the hub up until you have the required dimension. Then re-fit the torsion bar. Serves you right for fitting Konis anyway.

Tim

Thread Information