505 GTI Steering Rack Boot Replacement
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 GTI Steering Rack Boot Replacement

Hi,

Last night I replaced the driver's side steering rack boot on my '88 505 GTI wagon as the old one was torn. This wasn't too bad a job - a bit tricky getting the new boot to go on but it worked out in the end.

I went to do the passenger's side one (also ripped) and found that it is totally different to the driver's side as it has the power steering ram, and a removable ball joint with a separate boot. You have to remove the ball joint and take out the tie rod end to be able to replace the steering rack boot.

The Haynes manual is not detailed on how to remove the ball joint but my factory 505 manual gives an excellent description. You need a special "C" shaped tool to do it properly. Supposedly you can use vice grips or something according to Haynes.

What tool do people use or recommend to remove the ball joint and is it a difficult job?

Advertisement

By the way, the tie rod end on the passenger's side was totally stuffed. There was so much play in it and the ball end was basically just rattling around inside the joint. Dangerous stuff. I had a spare one from an STI which is used but still good. I used this instead. The frustrating thing is that I have three brand new ones floating around the house but I can't find them!

Thanks,
    James

Default Not much help...

I used a big pair of grips when I did mine. But I'm afraid it was so long ago I can't for the life of me remember how I did it, sorry.

Mike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 GTI Steering Rack Boot Replacement-steering.jpg  
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    I used a big pair of grips when I did mine. But I'm afraid it was so long ago I can't for the life of me remember how I did it, sorry.

Mike.
    Thanks Mike,

The photo helps a lot. I have diagrams in the factory manual but no photos. Looks like I'll give the multi-grips a go.

Cheers,
    James

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

use stillsons or plumbers wrench, like a shifter but with teeth, not an expensive tool.
    did my boots just recently.

cheers,

chris

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

if your not familiar, clamp the ram bolt into a vice and prise up the indents in that mushroom shape cap nut , the material is relatively soft but needs a bit of care, fit stillsons around cap nut and undo.

cheers,

chris

Fellow Frogger!

next time someone does this could they take photos?
    I suspect I'll need them at some point

Default Ball joint

Quote Originally Posted by cdt View Post
    if your not familiar, clamp the ram bolt into a vice and prise up the indents in that mushroom shape cap nut , the material is relatively soft but needs a bit of care, fit stillsons around cap nut and undo.

cheers,

chris
    Thanks Chris,

I'll get to it over the next week or two (also have to do brake lines plus a bunch of other things for rego). I have the plumbers type wrench (somewhere!).

Did you have to replace any of the parts like a lockwasher?

Cheers,
    James

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

the cap you unscrew is the lockwasher, the indents that you prise
    up serve that purpose.

cheers,

chris

Thread Information