Peugeot 505 Fuel Pump problems.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 505 Fuel Pump problems.

Hello, I have a 505 STI that seems to have a problem with the fuel pump. It has been cutting out while I have been driving it and now it refuses to start at all. Does anyone know what might cause it. Would it be the pump or maybe the fuel pump relay. Where is the relay located on the car and how do you test it. Anyone help on this matter would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Advertisement

I had the same problem on my GTi

It worked out to be the relay unit.
    This is located on the right side of the steering column just up from the pedals.
    You have to take the trim panel off from under the column to get to it.

Default Sti

Grace,

I bet that your car has a dead "in tank" fuel pump.

In the STI, there are two fuel pumps. One is mounted in through the top of the fuel tank and can be accessed through a round plastic "cap" that fits into the boot floor. There are probably two plastic caps in the boot. One is to access the pump, and the other is to access the tank level sensor unit (I think).

My STI wouldn't start at one point either. It turned out to be a dead in tank pump. I tried replacing most other bits in the system before I got to the in tank pump. Should have started there based on advice I got from some guys on this forum. They are fiddly to get to and remove but not too bad, and you may have to drop the fuel tank a bit to do it.

I bought a good second hand pump from Pugwreck in Vic for about $80 plus postage I think.

I hope that this helps,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    I bet that your car has a dead "in tank" fuel pump.

In the STI, there are two fuel pumps.
    Merely curious, why the two pumps? My (pommie) GTi only has the one under the car.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    Merely curious, why the two pumps? My (pommie) GTi only has the one under the car.

Mike.
    In the warmer parts of the country some cars suffered with fuel vaporisation, the intank pump eliminated this.
    cheers Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Hello, I have a 505 STI that seems to have a problem with the fuel pump. It has been cutting out while I have been driving it and now it refuses to start at all. Does anyone know what might cause it. Would it be the pump or maybe the fuel pump relay. Where is the relay located on the car and how do you test it. Anyone help on this matter would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    I had problems with my Gti radomly stopping and refusing to start, turned out to be the wires between the distributor and the module.
    cheers Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

how low is the petrol the little rubber hose on the pre pump broke on mine only played up under half a tank also if the pre pump is faulty should run ok if tank is full

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I had the same problem on my GTi

It worked out to be the relay unit.
    This is located on the right side of the steering column just up from the pedals.
    You have to take the trim panel off from under the column to get to it.
    Is the relay unit located just under the dash on the STI. Not sure what it looks like. How do you test it. It appears that the fuel pump is not working at all when I turn the ignition key. Any help would be appreciate.

The external fuel pump (on my car at least) is the same as the one on a VL Commodore.

My spare parts car has a similar problem, dunno what it is.

Thanks

Hayden

Is the relay unit located just under the dash on the STI. Not sure what it looks like. How do you test it. It appears that the fuel pump is not working at all when I turn the ignition key. Any help would be appreciate.
    My experiences are limited to the Gti.

By the way - Have you checked the fuse?

When I got my relay out I did pull it apart - its quite a large unit and is expensive. I tried resoldering some dodgy looking joints but gave up in the end and got a new unit.

I found out it's a Bosch part and is used on a number of other Eurpoean makes. - If it is the faulty part, try pricing it through an auto electrician as well as through Peugeot. (also EAI might have them at a reasonable price)

It might be worthwile running a cable straight to the pump to test if its working.

Default Sti

Hi,

Yes the tachymetric relay is located just above your left knee I think when you are sitting in the car. You have to unscrew and remove/drop the plastic trim piece that is part of the underside of the dash. It is a rectangular unit and I think it is black or blue. You can open it up I think and have a look. There are tests that you can do to see if the relay is dodgy by shorting out the terminals and seeing if power goes to the pumps. I don't know which terminals are which though. You have to understand the operation of the relay to be able to test it. I wish I knew more on how it works but I think that it is supposed to run the pumps for a short while while the engine is being started. After this, it switches to normal operation and turns off if the ignition is turned off or if there is not oil pressure (I think!). These relays do fail.

Which of your pumps is not working? You can hear the main one pretty easily as it is outside of the car and underneath in front of the spare wheel. You can also hear the in tank one (just) if it is working. Maybe your main pump is dead? You could test the pump by itself by connecting leads directly from a battery to it. Same with the in tank one. You'd hear them running (or not if they were dead). If they don't work, then your rely is probably fine but obviously the pump being tested is dead. I removed my in tank pump from the car and tried running it with a battery and got no response, so I knew that it was dead.

The STI runs on high fuel pressure so be careful if you are undoing any connectors etc. as fuel can spray out.

Good luck with it.
    James

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Hi,

Yes the tachymetric relay is located just above your left knee I think when you are sitting in the car. You have to unscrew and remove/drop the plastic trim piece that is part of the underside of the dash. It is a rectangular unit and I think it is black or blue. You can open it up I think and have a look. There are tests that you can do to see if the relay is dodgy by shorting out the terminals and seeing if power goes to the pumps. I don't know which terminals are which though. You have to understand the operation of the relay to be able to test it. I wish I knew more on how it works but I think that it is supposed to run the pumps for a short while while the engine is being started. After this, it switches to normal operation and turns off if the ignition is turned off or if there is not oil pressure (I think!). These relays do fail.

Which of your pumps is not working? You can hear the main one pretty easily as it is outside of the car and underneath in front of the spare wheel. You can also hear the in tank one (just) if it is working. Maybe your main pump is dead? You could test the pump by itself by connecting leads directly from a battery to it. Same with the in tank one. You'd hear them running (or not if they were dead). If they don't work, then your rely is probably fine but obviously the pump being tested is dead. I removed my in tank pump from the car and tried running it with a battery and got no response, so I knew that it was dead.

The STI runs on high fuel pressure so be careful if you are undoing any connectors etc. as fuel can spray out.

Good luck with it.
    James
    Thanks for your help. I was just wondering if you could take the relay to an auto electrician to get it tested. I cannot hear the external pump working at all when the engine is cranked. I guess that might be a sign that it is dead. Whether it is the relay or the pump is not known at the moment.
    Last edited by matt505; 20th December 2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes.

It may also be prudent to check the wiring under the rear seats.

I recall an article recently which explained the rear seat frame tends to chafe on the harness to the tank.

The gist of the article was it worked ok until the shopping was placed on the back seats, which would promptly blow a fuse for the in tank pump.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Default relay

Thanks for your help. I was just wondering if you could take the relay to an auto electrician to get it tested. I cannot hear the external pump working at all when the engine is cranked. I guess that might be a sign that it is dead. Whether it is the relay or the pump is not known at the moment.
    Yes, I am sure that you could take the relay to an auto-electricion and have it tested.

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

on my 92 wagon the fuel pump fuse is located behind the ashtray.

cheers,

chris

Hi Grace, I don't know how different the STi's are to the GTi's and I couldn't work that out from my Haynes manual. I will post about my experience if it may help. I had posted this before the forum crash so I have a relevant pic but I don't know exactly what all the components are called.

I have a GTi series II. One day it would not start, it turned over etc but no fuel seemed to be getting through. It turned out the contacts on the plug to the Airflow Sensor were corroded and this was causing the problem. It was a simple fix in cleaning up the contacts and to date the problem has not recurred. I have attached my old pic showing the plug circled in yellow.

Now this may be far off the mark for your car but it may be worth checking for things like this if you haven't already.
    I hope you get it running happily again soon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 505 Fuel Pump problems.-505gti%2520engine%2520diag.jpg  
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Default Sti

Hi Kaye,

The STI doesn't have that sensor unfortunately. It has the Bosch K-jetronic system which is mechanical. See the attached photo of one of my STIs. I rebuilt this motor actually - it took me ages to refer to my photos to put all of the "plumbing" back together.

You can see in the photo that where your car has the sensor, mine has a fuel distributor which has fuel lines going directly to the injectors. Fuel is constantly flowing to the injectors and into the inlet ports in the head. Yours (GTI) has electronic injection (Bosch L-jetronic) where electrical signals are sent to the injectors. Fuel goes to the injectors through a common rail and the electrical signals open and close the injectors to let fuel in.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 505 Fuel Pump problems.-100_3988.jpg  

Thanks for explaining that James. They are quite different aren't they. It all adds to info that might help others in future searches I suppose.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Thread Information