505 headlight removal
  • Register
  • Help
    al

Default 505 headlight removal

Can anyone quickly describe how to get it out in a hurry? I had a globe blow months ago which i need to fix, but can't get access from behind... disappointingly.

I assume the headlight pops out like a 205 one, but i'm missing something obvious or it has been glued in.

Advertisement
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Default 505 head light

Hi,
    Pull gently on the side that is closest to the grill which pulls it out of a clip. undo the spring that goes to the body, and the globe plug.

al

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1974504 View Post
    Hi,
    Pull gently on the side that is closest to the grill which pulls it out of a clip. undo the spring that goes to the body, and the globe plug.
    Thanks for that - i have tried a few things already which makes me think it isn't in the state it left the factory, but i'll try again with the proper technique.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

What side is it blown??
    If it is the passangers side then the battery may have to come out first....
    The drivers side should be accessable.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

al

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    What side is it blown??
    If it is the passangers side then the battery may have to come out first....
    The drivers side should be accessable.
    It is the passengers. Not particularly keen on taking the battery out, but if i can't get the headlight out easily i will.

I thought these things were supposed to be roomy... the 205 has better access to that corner!
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    It is the passengers. Not particularly keen on taking the battery out, but if i can't get the headlight out easily i will.

I thought these things were supposed to be roomy... the 205 has better access to that corner!
    Try doing a timing belt in one when the pully positions have been stuffed up previously!
    As well as everything packed in there, the car was an auto so you couldn't rotate the front pully.
    Would be the most unpleasant job I've ever done on a car.
    Reason I bought the GR when one became available.
    205s are great to work on except for the hoses and I'm getting rid of most of these in my rally car.
    505 Battery comes out in 2 minutes.
    Graham

LITERALLY 2 minutes !
    Use a 10 mm socket on a long extension to undo the clamp on the bottom of the battery ( if it's the original type )
    And while the battery's out, check under it for rust

al

It not that removing a battery is difficult - it was that i don't have the code for the radio.

It was easy enough from the front. Knowing that the light pops out i pulled a bit harder and it was fine.

When the 405 is sorted we can get onto this car graham! I'm definitely keen to free up some space under the bonnet. The aircon stuff is really in the way for these jobs
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    It not that removing a battery is difficult - it was that i don't have the code for the radio.

It was easy enough from the front. Knowing that the light pops out i pulled a bit harder and it was fine.

When the 405 is sorted we can get onto this car graham! I'm definitely keen to free up some space under the bonnet. The aircon stuff is really in the way for these jobs
    And the cooling system expansion bottle, one of the things that is dissapearing on the 205 rally car, just need to buy a small Japanese style pressurised radiator cap to take the place of the original fixed cap.
    Can't see the point of these systems, you can see exactly where you are with the simpler system.
    Peugeot jump from one to the other, STi had standard system, GTi had the coolant recovery system.
    205 had recovery, 405 didn't.
    306 GTi6 has the standard sytem and so on.........
    Graham

al

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    And the cooling system expansion bottle, one of the things that is dissapearing on the 205 rally car, just need to buy a small Japanese style pressurised radiator cap to take the place of the original fixed cap.
    Can't see the point of these systems, you can see exactly where you are with the simpler system.
    Peugeot jump from one to the other, STi had standard system, GTi had the coolant recovery system.
    205 had recovery, 405 didn't.
    306 GTi6 has the standard sytem and so on.........
    Graham
    I might have to put the 505 engine rebuild on hold with the 405 needing work, but we will get there eventually.

It will be painted in jan or feb though, and the simplification can begin. If we could simplify the air intake and remove the aircon it will be a good start. There is lots of scope though and the coolant expansion bottle certainly gets in the way.

With a freshen up of the suspension, brakes, new tyres, paint and a bit less clutter under the bonnet it will be great.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thread Information