405 MI16 misfire
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon6 405 MI16 misfire

I had the MI16 kept in the garage for the last summer, just driving a couple a times a month, now I started to drive it more often this winter, and with the wet road to make the front wheels spin with engine power is very easy. I've done it (smooth, low revs) when getting out of a corner in 2nd gear and from that moment, the MI16 started to misfire.
    Changed the spark plugs, ignitions leads are also new, new rotor and arm, new ignition module, but the engine still misfire.
    Timing belt was changed last year, and the compression ratio on the cylinders is between 10 and 12.

Today I've booked a diagnostic to see is there is any electrical failure or if it is a mechanical problem, since the 405 starts properly, no idle but after 1500 revs the engine runs very well with a small random misfire.

Advertisement

By the end of the week will have more answers.

Tadpole

Gday There,
    I went down that road recently on my series 1.
    After doing the swap over of various components similar to what you have done i was running out of options. Had a spare ECU, swapped them over and she was back to her usual self.

interested in hearing the outcome on yours when its known, always handy info...

cheers

Try resetting the ECU. Easiest way is to unplug the battery for 10mins.

I had a similar problem, and it turned out one of the spark plugs had not seated properly in the head, it was sticking out by 1-2mm. Cleaned up the threads and greased and it went in, misfire gone.

Possibly your injectors need cleaning and the injector seals replacing. Either way if they haven't been cleaned in the last five years, it's worth doing (once the misfire is resolved)!

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Tadpole

You are going to say ahhhh...... like I did... the misfire was due to a small fend on the air admission rubber. Since is allocated between the air flow meter (on top of air filter) and the injectors, the fuel/air mixture was compromised.

The Bosh mechanic did several tests, he knows the engine very well and after the normal procedures of diagnosis he found the problem.

Thread Information