406 d8 central locking
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 d8 central locking

Hi

My central locking decided to develop schizophrenia a week or so ago. Neither the remote or key in either door activates the central locking on the whole car, but locking either the driver side door or passenger side door will lock the doors on that side, but not the other. Neither will actually unlock the rear doors.
    Confused? That makes two of us.

I can hear a relay clicking under the glove box when I activate the button on the remote (IR type) and also when I lock or unlock the doors from inside, I'm wondering if the control unit has given up the ghost. I had a look under there but wouldn't know which little box it is, there are so many.

Anybody seen this sort of thing before? Or able to help me identify the control unit?

Advertisement

Thanks, Andrew
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

MrV

Hmmm.

Sounds like a dodgy relay that's supposed be sending signals/power to all the doors to unlock but isn't pulling in.

What about the fuel flap and boot? Do they unlock when you turn the key in the door?

Have you got the Haynes manual? Its not that great for the SV (or coupe for the that matter!) in general but does have some useful electrical diagrams in the back.

If not, post back and I'll try to remember to scan up some pages for you.
    1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

Thanks for the response MrV. The fuel flap is released only by cable on my car, with the lever inside. The boot does not unlock from either side, but it does lock, though only intermittently I've noticed.

I don't have the Haynes manual, though I probably should invest in one for those electrical things that are similar to other models. At least it would give me something to work from eh? A couple of pages scans would be great if you are able, thanks very kindly.
    Last edited by ajpolden; 15th December 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the haynes manual.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

There is some wiring detail here;
    http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring406/index.shtml

MrV

Quote Originally Posted by ajpolden View Post
    Thanks for the response MrV. The fuel flap is released only by cable on my car, with the lever inside. The boot does not unlock from either side, but it does lock, though only intermittently I've noticed.

I don't have the Haynes manual, though I probably should invest in one for those electrical things that are similar to other models. At least it would give me something to work from eh? A couple of pages scans would be great if you are able, thanks very kindly.
    Sorry, I was thinking of the 405 with the fuel flap issue.

I scanned all the electrical diagrams in the manual - its too big to upload so if you PM me your email address I'll shoot them through. A bit rough, but readable. Anyway, it shows the front and rear locks going to the controller with no apparent intermediate relays. It also shows the IR unit connecting to the controller. I think the controller is under the dash, behind the glovebox somewhere.

These diagrams take a bit of figuring, but good luck!
    1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

Watch the schematics in the Haynes manual - They aren't 100%...

I'd love to know how to re-program an aftermarket remote to work with the D8 central locking system
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

By way of updating this thread, I finally got around to fixing this problem. I bought a NOS 6547VG central locking box and it remedied the problem immediately. Of course,getting the old one out of place was another matter entirely, but I'm please after all this time I've got a working remote again.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

WLB

Mine has been doing this for a year. It seems to come and go with changes in the weather. Heat and humidity seem to nearly always cause a problem. I also find that it works if it doesn't really matter if the car is locked and always fail to work if it is essential that the car is locked. Must have a quite complex anxiety sensor.

I haven't had the opportunity to check the relay in the passenger door as Andrew suggested to me ages ago, and the Haynes manual is useless for identifying which of the 3 boxes behind the glovebox is the control unit.

Therefore I'd be interested in and additional info you could provide.

What I find particularly annoying is the fact that you can't mechanically lock the doors as you could on earlier central locking systems. If you try, the control unit decides that they shouldn't be locked and unlocks them all.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    ...which of the 3 boxes behind the glovebox is the control unit.

Therefore I'd be interested in and additional info you could provide.

What I find particularly annoying is the fact that you can't mechanically lock the doors as you could on earlier central locking systems. If you try, the control unit decides that they shouldn't be locked and unlocks them all.
    I guess I was lucky they stayed locked when I used the key then. I've attached a pic of the 6547VG central locking control box, so hopefully you can identify it from this, provided your car has the simple infra-red remote. You should be able to see it from a black access panel immediately behind the glove-box. To get it out first remove the glove-box, unplug all the harnesses you can and move them aside, you should be able to reach up and unbolt from the firewall (two bolts at top, one at bottom which you should be able to see, about 10mm I think) the black plastic box in which they are all mounted. I wasn't able to get it out entirely, but you should be able to pull it down a bit to allow access behind the box. The central locking box is screwed in with two short black screws.
    If you have and particular questions, please fire away!
    406 d8 central locking-02032013129.jpg
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

WLB

Thanks for that.
    Yes, it's the infra-red remote.
    It could be a little while before I get a chance to have a crack at it, but I'll report back once I have.

Thread Information