small issue on my 180
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default small issue on my 180

hey guys i just bought myself a gti180 the other week.
    Its a beauty no doubt but i've been driving a bit around town here and there and i noticed that my coolant gauge is whack!
    The temperature of the coolant goes really hot if i drive the car under 30 or so but it gets real cold if i drive it at high revs or normal for a while.
    should i be concerned about this?

Theo

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tloke90 View Post
    hey guys i just bought myself a gti180 the other week.
    Its a beauty no doubt but i've been driving a bit around town here and there and i noticed that my coolant gauge is whack!
    The temperature of the coolant goes really hot if i drive the car under 30 or so but it gets real cold if i drive it at high revs or normal for a while.
    should i be concerned about this?

Theo
    Hmm, You should work out what is going on.
    Sounds like the thermostat is cactus and is stuck open or non existant.
    Do a bit of poking around.

I have quoted a description of the basic function of the cooling system, and in addition to this, check your radiator on warm up (from stone cold) that it is cold, then becomes hot suddenly when the thermostat opens at 87 or whatever temp it opens.
    I suspect the thermostat is stuck open, and the radiator will warm up gradually from cold.

Replace the water with coolant and do whatever you need to do to bleed the air out of the system.
    Then let the car warm up, and feel the top radiator hose, to find out where the thermostat is opening up.
    This should be pretty close to hot, maybe high 80's, and you will feel it go from cold to hot quite quickly.
    Then the radiator should rapidly get hot all over. Use your finger tips to ascertain that all the cooling pipes of the radiator are heating up. Obviously avoid any fans or belts with your fingers.
    Let the car sit at idle for a while and eventually the thermo fans should switch on, then off again maybe less than a minute later.
    The fans should cycle on and off from this point onwards.
    Make sure the AC is not switched on, as this will have your fans turn on and bugger up the test.

This the basic function of the cooling system, and if it does this without fuss, it is working.
    I like to actually calibrate the events with an infra red thermometer, but you have a dash gauge, and lets assume for all its accuracy or not it is repeatable in its readings, so you can mark off the events on that.
    Take note where on the gauge the thermostat opens, and again where the fans kick in.
    From now on you will know when your car is getting hot.
    Once the fans kick in, consider this point on the gauge to be 'hot' and dont worry about the temp below this point. Only be concerned when it starts to rise above this point, as it will show that the radiator is failing to vent the heat quickly enough.

I have a 180 as well and there is definitely some variation in the temperature guage. If you look on the http://www.206info.co.uk/index.php site you will see that this is pretty common. If it gets too hot though it could be a problem so keep an eye on it.
    Heres another explanation I found for the varying temp.

http://206gti.net/faq/#68

Hope this helps mate. All the best and enjoy the car.
    KK

It certainly shouldn't vary that much. It should stay around 90 or go higher - it shouldn't be going lower once it has reached operating temp (85-90).

It sounds like there's a problem with the thermostat or someone has tampered with the coolant and hasn't bled the system properly.

I guess the next thing is, what do you call "really hot" and "real cold"?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information