Brand new 504??
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Brand new 504??

Default Brand new 504??

Has anyone looked into the possibility of of buying up brand new 504's out of Nigeria or Kenya and stuffing them in a container and shipping to Aus? The prospect of getting a new or near new 504 (one of the greatest cars every made) is rather enticing. Is this feasible? If this is not possible, what about getting hard to get parts from there? Someone must have contacts there.
    Am I on to something or just way too ill informed or naive??

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Has anyone looked into the possibility of of buying up brand new 504's out of Nigeria or Kenya and stuffing them in a container and shipping to Aus? The prospect of getting a new or near new 504 (one of the greatest cars every made) is rather enticing. Is this feasible? If this is not possible, what about getting hard to get parts from there? Someone must have contacts there.
    I'm not too sure the 504 are still current fare Nigeria.

Many of the 504s were a solid rear axle, so the body hull may be different to the IRS models.

About ten years ago there was apparently a "find " of several dozen new but unassembled 404 bodies in dry storage at an overseas assembly plant.

It all went quiet and nothing further was heard. The ultimate barn find for a 404 enthusiast.

Unless you own a shipping line or have access to very cheap freight, I suspect the cost would be prohibitive for any of us down under. There are enough good 504s in Oz which would be far cheaper to restore. You just need to look around.

Compliance may be an issue for an overseas 504 which has a recent build date unless you can find donor local car....

It's a great dream to have 'tho.

Fellow Frogger!

I think they stopped making them a few years ago in Africa. Must be three or fours now?

1000+ Posts

I don't know what is going on here, but I know that most of the 504's in Oz were taken out of the country to possibly Egypt, where there was some huge remanufacturing setup going on.
    For a long time there was an ad running for wanted 504's. Contact Wozza and he'll give you $500. That was the thing and I got rid of my very clapped out 504 diesel that way and at the time it was a blessing. But too many were lost from this country and since then I understand that 505's have also been targeted.
    It's why all of a sudden there aren't enough 504's to go round.
    The Japs did this in the late 60's/ early seventies with motorbikes.
    There was a continuous running ad to buy all the old English stuff.
    So it all got bought and thrown into landfill, which opened the market for the Jap crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Getting a near new 504 is very possible. Production of 504 in Nigeria continued upto 2003 or so. One was actually on sell 2 Months ago in one Nigerian auto forum I belong to "Nairaland forum". I will get the web address and paste here for you to check.

Getting 504 spare parts, both new and used ones, is like asking if one can find food to buy in Nigeria. I drove 504 before, my dads, and I never had problem with spare parts availability. Whatever 504 parts you can think of, you will find it in every part of the country. Be it new or used Single barrel carburretor or double barrel carburetor.

Ikenna.

Morpheus.

It appears the car is still on sale. Here is the web address: www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-546638.0.html.

The 504 model no. is 504 2000, which happend to be the last model assembled in Peugeot Plant in Nigeria.

Ikenna.

Those are some documents I got from the Peugeot museum in Sochaux-France.
    The article is in French of course and it is a sort of saying good bye to the 504 .
    It states that the 504 production ended in 2005 (not making it to its 40th birthday) and that the last one in Nigeria will be numbered 3711556 (Mine is 3703278 ). It also states that Kaduna produced 426 000 504s and that it represented 83% of the production since 1972. Argentina stopped in 1998 and Kenya in 2001.
    Of course the other 2 paper are quite clear .
    We actually never got a 504 later that 1983 over here and I frankly don't know why but most probably the production in the 3 countries was only made for local demand not for export.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand new 504??-img_0343.jpg   Brand new 504??-img_0344.jpg   Brand new 504??-img_0345.jpg   Brand new 504??-img_0347.jpg  
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Quote Originally Posted by Doush_504 View Post
    Those are some documents I got from the Peugeot museum in Sochaux-France.
    The article is in French of course and it is a sort of saying good bye to the 504 .
    It states that the 504 production ended in 2005 (not making it to its 40th birthday) and that the last one in Nigeria will be numbered 3711556 (Mine is 3703278 ). It also states that Kaduna produced 426 000 504s and that it represented 83% of the production since 1972. Argentina stopped in 1998 and Kenya in 2001.
    Of course the other 2 paper are quite clear .
    We actually never got a 504 later that 1983 over here and I frankly don't know why but most probably the production in the 3 countries was only made for local demand not for export.

Yes, PAN (Peugeot Automobile Nigeria) in Kaduna, here in Nigeria, did very good job in providing trouble-free friendly workhorse for we Nigerians, the 504, especially, the GL models. Some Nigerians prefer the earlier 504 Nigeria production, GL, to the later models such as SR, GR, XT & the last model, 2000. I used my fathers GL while I was in the University. The GL model was better than others. It had independent rear axle/differential, unlike others with live type. It had brake rear disc, unlike others that had rear drum brakes. And a lot of countless advantages it had over other models. TI model was never produced/assembled in Nigerian Plant, at Kaduna. Likewise, EFI engine was never used in any of the Nigerian 504 and 505 production. They all had Carburreted engine and solid Radiator Fan. Viscous/mechanical clutch radiator fan was mystery to 504s produced in Nigeria. Fortunately for us, they appeared to be more reliable. No ECUs. Just few electronics/electricals, that ensured it reliability.

One thing I disagree with one of the attachment above by Doush is that 504 produced had 5speed auto transmission, which they never had. They were all 4speed. Manual all through. None of the 504 & 505 Nigerian production had automatic transmission. None. But who cares about auto trans in the first place. Nigerian drivers like to be James Bond on our road. Everyone of us wants to create some stunts on our car wheels. Only Manual trans can do that. Unfortunately, Japanse passenger cars, with their ill fate auto tranny, have confused and hypnotized some of Nigerians that they prefer now Japanese cars to solid German autos or French cars. This Asian world sef!

Ikenna.

Thanks guys. Great info. Vive la 504!

Thread Information