306 or 406
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 306 or 406

Default 306 or 406

Hi all,
    We need to buy a small auto and are thinking of a 306 or possibly even a 406.
    What should we look for (what goes wrong with them)?
    We had a 306 in the early 90's and it was a wonderful car t own and drive. But how did they age?
    Also, does anyone know if all Rallye's have ABS brakes.

Advertisement

onto 406s. Is the autobox used on the 4 cylinder cars ok? Or does it suffer the same problems as the V6 autobox?

thanks in advance

Fellow Frogger!

We have a 306 95 N3 manual 2 door with a 1.8 motor in it and it is a lovely and reliable car to drive and very powerful and economical. The auto will not be so economical and less so if you get the 2.0 L motor, but still not too bad.

Most autos will only last 200K so if it is getting up to that then you would budget for a replacement box at some stage.

The only issues we have had were that the heater flap controller didn't work very well and this is a pain to replace, so check that the heater works as it is supposed to. They usually have climate control and the heater is always on, but a flap closes down the air to it if you want cold air and then the AC comes on. If the AC isn't working or the flap isn't shutting, then you will have an uncomfortably hot cabin, but at least then you know the heater works...

As always, the central locking can be erratic in older cars, so check that it works and that all the doors do lock.

Would thoroughly recommend them, but do have a drive in a few first yourself.

Regards, Erik

Tadpole

I can't assist with 306 information, but for the 406 ST I'll say that they are a really great car, economical and excellent features and comfort (I've had 2 over the last 12 years) - but beware the auto transmission at anything over about 120,000 kilometres.

Listen very carefully to the auto changes, and try to get a low km car if you can (you still see the occasional 70 or 80 k 2002 or 2003 model around.

Count on at least $5000 for a reconditioned auto if required.

My 2 have been 100% reliable over almost 300k of motoring over the last 12 years - apart from a $4800 auto recon at 140k and about 6 years. Even then it was never quite right (I got my auto back, not an exchange).

I hope this helps.

DC 406

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CC1701 View Post
    Hi all,
    We need to buy a small auto and are thinking of a 306 or possibly even a 406.
    What should we look for (what goes wrong with them)?
    We had a 306 in the early 90's and it was a wonderful car t own and drive. But how did they age?
    Also, does anyone know if all Rallye's have ABS brakes.

onto 406s. Is the autobox used on the 4 cylinder cars ok? Or does it suffer the same problems as the V6 autobox?

thanks in advance
    Hi, the Auto in the 2 litre 406, the AL4, is WORSE than the ZF in the v6. Great car to drive and fantastic in manual but the AL4 has issues which you can search elsewhere on the forum and the "proper" rebuild cost is more than the car is worth.

All quiet with my son's AL4 at the moment but will be teaching his partner to drive a manual!

The family has 4 406s at present and they seem to be a great car and good value motoring.

Cheers

Jim

i have a 406 and 306. the 406 transmission is shockingly annoying but as far as ive seen reliable. always locks up into snow mode but a stop and start will cure that. other than that it has smooth gear changes. now my 306 well lets just say i had a wonderful transmission on my rallye which is a superb car to to hit the accelerator on and i was getting crisp gear changes from my auto. as of yesterday i ordered a new gearbox as i drove through an unprecedentedly deep puddle and my gearbox sucked water in and like a cancer eating it away killed it in 2 months even with servicing and flushing. i spent 990 bucks on a new transmission well used with 57000km but i even located a reco for 1100 but it wasnt the correct model for my car. so 406 and 306 great for a run around little car and transmission issues are avoided with servicing and avoiding puddles. go for it

Thread Information