306 Central locking - Repair or replace?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 Central locking - Repair or replace?

Hi all,

I'm sure this was covered pre-crash, but my '97 306 (GTi6) has IR central locking issues. The passenger side sunroof drain tube was blocked, and on trying to unblock it I seem to have disconnected the tube altogether. In amongst all those goings on the roof control panel filled with water a couple of times and seems to have fried the ir reciever (or other electrical bits). Now that I've (hopefully) fixed the leaking problems I want to investigate getting my remote working again.

Advertisement

1. Can anyone point me towards some info about the IR unit itself? I've removed it and it is a Valeo part, with 73847347/. moulded into the casing. My first step would be to test if it is actually broken, otherwise I'd like to know how much or available a replacement is. Also should there be any issues with a new unit in syncing my key up?

2. Can anyone direct me to a replacement option, aftermarket or otherwise? I recall a site with DIY RF replacement options but don't know who the author(s) are. I know there are probably remote kits I can patch in, but I would like to be sure it is a direct replacement into the existing wiring.

Thanks for reading, and for replying if you're so inclined.

Daniel
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

***EDIT - The product below is not suitable as a wire in replacement, modifications to the PCB were required!***

Ok, so I think I found an appropriate replacement for the IR system, seems you can get if from a few places but Jaycar I know I can trust.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR8839

That still leaves me with no clue how to wire it in though. Does anyone know if the Haynes manual is accurate enough for the GTi6 in this area despite not including the model specifically?

What I need to know is if I can wire it up in the cavity left over by the IR system (provided there are solid volts up there) or if I need to go at the controller under the rear seat.

Anybody?
    Last edited by eatpeople04; 27th December 2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Warning!
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

MrV

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 306 electrical system but if I were you it sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade from the old school IR to a system with decent range.

I seem to recall a great pre-crash thread on a central locking install in a Mi16 but not sure who wrote it (mlb??).

Anyway, I'd search here, the interwebs and the UK forums. Its definitely been done so there must be a decent guide/info out there.

I'd been meaning to do this on the coupe as my remote doesn't work (mismatched to the car), but I've not yet worked up the courage to take it on. That said, if you have a bit of know how, some decent background info and patience it should be achievable.

I'd love if you could post up progress if you do end up getting anywhere with it! Good luck
    1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

Default Thanks

Thanks MrV,

Yeah, I'm sure there was a heap of very pertinent information pre-crash, but no longer!

I think I'm going to go the add on kit route, eatpeople04 senior (aka Pottsy) has had marginal success with that in his Xantia.

Unfortunately I can't find any wiring diagrams specific to the GTi6 central locking after many searches, so it looks like I'll have to steal my Haynes manual back from Dad and hope it is close enough.

I will of course post any success I have or plead for more help if I get stuck!
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Ok, so I've found my 306 Haynes manual, not at Dad's, or in the garage, or in the car, but inexplicably tidied away onto a bookshelf.

I have now ordered the replacement remote centrol locking control unit from Jaycar (part no. LR8839) and am waiting for that to arrive so I can figure out which wires I need to get to, and if I can possible re-mount it up in the roof console. (imagine the range I will get on my remote ! )

For anyone that cares, I'll attach a photo of the busted IR receiver PCB, water damage quite evident.

What I am still worried about is finding the right wires to tap into with the new unit. The Haynes manual seems to be fairly simplified in some respects, which probably means I can (just) read some of it, but not enough to get me out of trouble.

If there is someone that has done this before and happened to take some really detailed notes about which wire does what, please don't hestitate to get in touch.

Cheers,

Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 Central locking - Repair or replace?-betty-005.jpg  
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Dan. DIdn't think I had the manual.

On the Xantia I tested each of the 5 wires with a test lamp.

The ones that lock and unlock the doors can be determined that way, as the earth applied through the test lamp is enough to trigger the control unit.

One of the 5 will be an earth. Another (on the Xantia) was a +12 volts when the ignition was off, and dead when the ignition is on. Can't remember what the 5th one was. (Don't recall needing or using it)

The replacement unit used a +12v, earth and open and close connections.

The only down side to my install is that when the volts come back on to the unit as the ignition is switched off the unit is "reset". This means that the first operation of the remote button tries to open the already open door motors. The second operation then locks the doors as normal and starts the security LED flashing.

I simply mounted the flashing LED in the infrared dome of the cover plate.

Cheers, Pottsy (the first and real one!)
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by eatpeople04 View Post
    For anyone that cares, I'll attach a photo of the busted IR receiver PCB, water damage quite evident.
    I'm curious: is the water damage from a leaking roof aerial base?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I'm curious: is the water damage from a leaking roof aerial base?
    No, it seems one of the draining tubes in the A-pillar was blocked originally (passenger's side). This was enough to have water dripping on me from the IR dome as I drove home. However I think it was the next time Betty was caught in heavy rain was when it all stopped working.

Instead of investigating which side was clogged or using any sort of proper tools, I just poked some welding rod down each of them as far as they can go, expecting this to clear everything.

Obviously I hadn't counted on the tubes being rubber, and what ended up happening was the rod caught on the rubber on the passengers side and unhooked the tube from the metal nozzle at the top. So that was a couple of years ago when it didn't rain much, and since then in rain the passenger's footwell would fill with water, resulting in such hilarity as being driven home last NYE in an inebriated state by Mrs eatpeople04 in ankle deep water.

At the time I had an undercover car park at work, a garage at home and it never rained much. Now I park at the station and it seem like it never stops so hence the motivation.

Thanks Dad, sorry to have publicly accused you of hoarding, we know that is a private matter. When the kit arrives I will give it a crack. May have to borrow your test lamp though .

Although I did have a brain wave, there should be constat 12v+ up there for the interior light (I think according to the diagrams ). Would there be in the Xantia also?
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Many central locking problems in the 306 stem from a damaged door loom .

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Many central locking problems in the 306 stem from a damaged door loom .
    Yes, so I've been reading

Fortunately the only problem with mine so far (fingers crossed etc) is the remote not working, and as you can see from the picture above the IR receiver is cactus, which is a pretty good reason for not working.

My new remote kit arrived today, and have a look at how detailed the instructions are

Keeping in mind that I haven't bought any actuators, only the control unit, and I don't think I can expect Peugeot to have been following Steelmate's colour system 13 years ago, it looks like I will be trying to figure out which wire does which on the new unit as well as on the car

I would expect the lock and unlock impulses to come from the Brown/White pair or Green/Blue pair but it will be guessing and testing unless I can find some more useful instructions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 Central locking - Repair or replace?-remote-central-locking.jpg  
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

. May have to borrow your test lamp though .
    Guess what you're getting for Christmas!

And good thinking about the solid supply for the interior light. The Xantia doesn't have a light in the centre, just the sides.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Just found these photos. I'd forgotten I took them at the time. The picture titles are self explanatory
    Of course, colour codes may vary between Marques and suppliers.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 Central locking - Repair or replace?-connector.jpg   306 Central locking - Repair or replace?-wires-1-5-left-right.jpg   306 Central locking - Repair or replace?-what-got-stuffed-into-roof-cavity.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

I know this is a late reply for you and I haven't properly read all the thread but I bought one of these off this seller 12 months ago and its still working a treat.

No more than 10 minutes to fit and is identical to factory item.

Cheers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=140475750249

oops, I've just realised that we're talking about a 306, not a 405 as I own.

I guess if the ir receiver is the same then theres no problem.

Thanks for the link FBvisitor, but by the looks of it the reciever is quite a lot different.

Assuming I have some time between now and Christmas I hope to gather my crimping set up and have a crack at some investigatoring.

Cheers,

Daniel
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Replace..

get an alarmed system - it will lower your insurance...
    I bought an alarm system for my car for $170 about 5 years ago and they have come down heaps since and I found an auto electrician to install it for 100 bucks.

I had a problem with the locking mechanism on the 206 which was making the doors pop unlock apparently because the contacts wear down and I rang the electrician - he came back and rewired the entire car for 50 bucks bypassing the (lock unlock system) and it worked

Fellow Frogger!

Ok, so I've found my 306 Haynes manual, not at Dad's, or in the garage, or in the car, but inexplicably tidied away onto a bookshelf.

Daniel

My books are either in boxes, never or not likely to ever be needed again, except that one time every year or so when I spend three days going through boxes looking for something I'm 60% sure I own (and therefore spend a cummulative 12 days every ten years looking for a book I don't own!), or scattered around in various piles being or waiting to be read or referenced!
    1992 405 SRI 1.9lt White Series I
    2001 206 GTi 2.0lt Diablo Red

Quote Originally Posted by PugFunk View Post
    Replace..

get an alarmed system - it will lower your insurance...
    Not really sold on the alarm idea. I'll admit I haven't investigated whether it would lower my premiums at all, but given the car already has a (very effective) immobiliser as standard, I don't really want the extra stress that comes with an alarm. Apart from finding room under the bonnet, and all that noise if I somehow get one that goes of when a possum runs over the garage roof, I'm over 25 and driving a 13 year old car, my premiums are not exorbitant.

Hoping to have a crack at wiring the new remote system in over the next couple of days, assuming my christmas shopping gets done...
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

can u tell me where u ordered ur kit from so i can order one for my 306 cause im confident its the receiver or do u reckon its worth going to pick and payless and ripping one out?
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    can u tell me where u ordered ur kit from so i can order one for my 306 cause im confident its the receiver or do u reckon its worth going to pick and payless and ripping one out?
    I got mine from Jaycar, the link is in post #2 above.

If you want to try for a plug in replacement, then a wrecker/pick-a-part etc would be better, but I'm keen to get rid of the IR component in mine.

If you get another receiver, just note you may have to sync your key fob up again and I'm not sure how involved that is on the RF system. There should be more info on that on 306gti6.com
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Default Success -ish

Ok, so the install is nearing completion and it has been a qualified success. I'm happy with the result, but not ecstatic with the process. It turns out the kit I bought from Jaycar used a voltage pulse to switch the lock/unlock wires, and the existing wiring requires and earth.

So it wasn't the right kit for the job, but thanks to my father having the know-how, we managed to slightly modify the PCB so it now acts like the original IR receiver should have been. Hopefully he will post some pics of the butchering, and when I do the final re-fit I'll put some pics of that up too.

Cheers,

Daniel
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Can you explain how you altered the wiring, I am looking at a jaycar set up too. Just worried that this won't rectify the boot lock mechanism.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Just found these photos. I'd forgotten I took them at the time. The picture titles are self explanatory
    Of course, colour codes may vary between Marques and suppliers.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Geez, Pottsy, if your car looks like the photos, you have no need for central locking either remote or otherwise. Any thief would steer well away from an auto electricians nightmare.

I have also been looking to change the Xantia's IR system. Firstly, I have never had a plip and have no idea if the present system works. The alarm has been bypassed and that doesn't effect the insurance unless you tell them that the alarm is stuffed. It also doesn't effect security because no one reacts to a car alarm going off other than throwing rocks at the offencing vehicle. A Citroen badge gives five star theft protection even if the doors are unlocked (thieves do have class).

I bought a SuperCheap remote central locking system. It cost $50. It has two HF remotes, the receiver and 4 electric locks. Currently I have the following tasks before the remote central locking:
    1. Fix heater blower fan
    2. Get aircon working
    3. Get both radiator cooling fans working, rather than just one flat out at 100 degrees
    4. Fix drivers door lock to work using key - the reason why I am looking into an alternate form of locking
    Today I fitted a relay for the heater blower and then spent the rest of the day trying to get the steering wheel shrouds back into place (Citroen learnt nothing from the BX when they built the Xantia).

The aircon may work sometime when I decipher the original relay positioned next to the blower fan. Backstop is a potentiometer from Hong Kong and just hard wire the lot bypassing Citroen's crap electrics.

The radiator cooling fans will be checked for the relays that control them, otherwise its Citroen crap into the bin and Chinese crap from Supercheap in its place.

I have pulled out the drivers door lock, cleaned it up, reinstalled it and it still doesn't work. Before the key wouldn't turn either way. After a good cleanup it now spins in both directions without doing anything. One day it MAY actually work. I bought a new inner barrel on fleabay today as it appears that with wear, the key goes in too far and nothing works. I squeezed the key limit tabs and stuffed it up the other way. I have also bought a new RHR door lock from the same fleabay seller. It never worked. Can't open the door from inside regardless. Door doesn't lock with central locking, but does lock manually but doesn't unlock with central locking.

The next job is to work out how to get the remote central locking to work. I believe the orange wire in the original IR setup is 12V. The grey wire is 6V. Then there are 3 blue-grey wires that I have no idea about. I think the orange and one other will unlock the doors. I have yet to try this out as I am limited in how much crap I can digest each day.

I think Citroen electrics are great, particularly since they were taken over by Peugeot.

I often wonder what would have happened if Wellington had followed (hounded) Napoleon all the way to Paris. Maybe Citroen would never have existed? Maybe I would be much happier today than I am?

Sorry I can't help you further at the moment. I can't find the gun, the poison or the rope.

John

Plus, the wife didn't make me any dinner (or she fed it to the dog). Faaaark! I am really happy today.

Wow, just re-read my most recent post there, I made some bold promises about pictures etc., very poor of me not to follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    Can you explain how you altered the wiring, I am looking at a jaycar set up too. Just worried that this won't rectify the boot lock mechanism.
    Just to clarify, in my case it was only the IR unit that was faulty, using the key in the lock worked the rest of the CL sytem fine. My reasoning for replacing that part of the system only was that it didn't mess with any other immobilisation circuits etc. for the rest of the car.

I can't remember how many wires I found plugged into the old IR unit (located above the plastic dome near the interior light and sunroof controls, in case you were wondering) but I do remember that by passing earth to one of two wires at a time the doors would lock and unlock.

The Jaycar unit I ordered (with the very silly brand name I can't recall right now) had a similar wiring set up, but the actuators designed for their system work of a +12V pulse to activate so that is what the output wires indicated. What we ended up doing (read: Dad ended up doing so I didn't ruin it with my shoddy soldering) was isolating the two switching output wires from the replacement receiver from their voltage source (by scratching the copper off the PCB) and soldering a link from an earth source to the same circuit path.

This meant that the new unit behaved exactly as the old unit should electrically, but with a new pair of RF transmitter keyrings!

Sorry for the wordy reply, I hope i makes sense.

A year on, system is still working fine, however it was a struggle to stuff the Jaycar unit back up into that roof lining space.

Before you order anything though, it may be worth checking the IR unit out with a multi meter, and try passing earth to the wires I mentioned above (and can't recall what colour etc.). If this doesn't jolt the CL system into action, you might be barking up the wrong tree.
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

Thread Information