405 Handbrake problem.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Handbrake problem.

Hi all,
    I have a intermittent problem with my 405's handbrake. Basically what happens is that the handbrake will be working normally, with it engaging fully at about 2/3 of its travel. Then sometimes if i go to apply the handbrake i can pull it all the way to the top of its range, and it will not fully engage. At this point it feels like its only working about 90%.

At first i thought it just needed adjusting, but then out of the blue it started working normally again. Don't they have an automatic cable adjuster for the handbrake anyway?? Could this be the problem?

Advertisement

I'm going to take the drums off the back, but I'd like to have an idea of potential causes before i go looking.

So if anyone has any ideas, or have had a similar problem in the past and can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks.
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

Drums on the back? I thought all 405's were 4wheel disc?

Sounds like the cable is falling out of a groove somewhere. Then occasionally it's getting pulled back into place.

Crawl under the car (chock the wheels and put in gear to be extra sure it won't move) and track the handbrake cable - I'd say there will be a fairly obvious problem there somewhere.
    1992 405 SRI 1.9lt White Series I
    2001 206 GTi 2.0lt Diablo Red

Yep. Drums on the back. Its a diesel, and all the other 405 diesels i've seen have have drums on the back.

Good idea about tracking the handbrake cable, will have a look tomorrow or friday when i get some free time.
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

Actually now that you mention it, Diesels do have drum rear. The XUD9 engines, were around 50-55kW so they didn't make much power. So I guess they considered they didn't need disc rear (though a car still takes the same amount of braking power to stop from a given speed regardless it's a diesel or petrol).

The SRDt I think ran the XUD9TE which ran at about 67kW. For a turbo charged intercooled engine the power is still way down on the SRi's XU9J2 (petrol, 91kW). So I guess they figure disc brakes unnecessary.

Yes the SRDT has the XUD9TE motor in it, although mine is running extra fuel and boost, so goes a bit better than it did from stock.

As for the brake problem, I think i've fixed it.
    The ratchet style automatic adjusters for the shoes don't seem to be automatically doing their thing, so I just manually adjusted them and took the slack out of the handbrake cable and the result is better braking than I have had in a while now (come to think of it, since last time I replaced the shoes...) and the handbrake once again holds the car on a hill.

So if I manually adjust them every 6 months or so, everything should be sweet from now on. Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes...

I'm one happy chappy!
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

Good one. Come to think of it, it's been years since I've had drum brakes, but that ratchet mechanism is automatic to point, but if it get's too far out of wack the mechanism can't adjust and you have to manually adjust it. (there is usually a slot on the drum somewhere you can stick a screwdriver through to adjust it.

Thread Information