505 gti central locking problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 gti central locking problem

hi
    my central locking in my 505 gti doesnt work. i have to unlock and lock each doors seperatly. what can it be? what can i start to check or do?

thanks in advance

Advertisement

Default locking

Ah, mine (GTI wagon) is also stuffed. Could be a fuse, a relay, bad connection, disconnected linkage etc. I have to pull the driver's door apart to have a look as I think that there is a master "switch" in it which gets turned on and off when you move the lock knob up and down and this sends a signal to the other doors somehow. It'll be a matter of systematically testing/checking each component I think. I have spares now (wrecking an SLi) thankfully.

I also welcome anyone's input into this as it is annoying having to manually open each door. My rear hatch lock is not working either so you have to climb into the boot area and manually open it.

James

Fellow Frogger!

Haha yes mine's the same - 2 of the doors don't work. I don't suppose you guys have a broken glove box as well?!
    Goonengerry 505

Mine almost works, all of the doors unlock with the central locking but the front passengers door doesn't lock and even more weird, you cannot lock the passengers door unless all the others are locked. Even more weird than that, if you press the cigarette lighter in the tacho goes to 7000rpm (but the engine doesn't rev) and it blows the fuse for the central locking, horn and radio!

Welcome to the world of 505 electronics.

Thanks

Hayden

Tadpole

Iv'e just had trouble with both front door locks on my GTI wagon and while fixing them I notice that the manual states the central looking only works from the drivers door and unlocking the passengers door from the outside does not operate the system. I just thought I would mention this as I thought mine was defective for all these years.

Good luck with the repairs.

Default 505s

This is hilarious. The gathering of GTIs with stuffed central locking! Any one else want to join in?

Hayden - your car has issues! Probably easily fixed but might take a while to find the problem.

Actually one of my doors on my STI sedan isn't working either, but I should have spare bits for this car also.

Thom, My STI has a broken glove box. My GTI one is good although the top little glove box lock is missing a bit (have the replacement). I have a spare good glove box from my SLi "wreck" that you could have if you want although I noticed tonight that the lock "tab" is a self tapper screw LOL. The lid itself is good though.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Glove Box

James - the glove box lid is OK - but the catch doesn't work - I can't tell from looking at it whether the problem is in the lid side of the catch, or on the dash side (i.e which part is missing)...it has a smart piece of coathanger hooked in near the glovebox handle and over the dash in front of the demister vents
    As you say, all this is hilarious - I was up at the mechanic's the other day and another identical wagon drove up. Sure enough, the glove box catch was stuffed, central locking worked on only 2 or 3 doors, and the temperature control didn't work. All superficial stuff - the car was running fine, just needed a suspension bush for its pink slip (not that they're pink any more...). To quote its owner, "They're a great car, you gotta keep 'em going!" Indeed.
    Goonengerry 505

Default central locking problems

There has been a few threads about this but from the main things I recall

- series 1 505 fuse boards develops serious problems. I big job but if you can be bothered get a late model board and change over

- I did not have much success cleaning all the wiring points inside the doors but
    probably has to be done. Bad earth is generally the problem with electrical issues but in this case I think + supply problems are just as big a cause. None of the door actuators were the problem.

- there are a number of errors in the series 2 handbook re fuse layout and the reality. Just cause it says central locking is on a certian fuse, you need to double check. I assume that this could be the case on Series 1.

- I fitted remote central locking systems to both our 505's, just about fixed all problems, but not until a new batteries were fitted. I'm not sure why things improved with a new battery but I assumed that to activate all four actuators battery power had to be very strong. Easy to test your car with a slightly bigger battery.

- I'd be taking the central console out re the cigarette lighter blowing fuses, sounds like you have a wire crossing/contacting in behind the panel. The wiring can get pretty messy in there particularly if you have fitted a new radio etc. If there is no problem there, the fuse board is guilty again.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by kingpug500 View Post
    hi
    my central locking in my 505 gti doesnt work. i have to unlock and lock each doors seperatly. what can it be? what can i start to check or do?

thanks in advance

Although for the early model 505s, the attached may still help in diagnosing the problems.

Good luck.

con...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    Although for the early model 505s, the attached may still help in diagnosing the problems.

Good luck.

con...
    thanks mate will look into it

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Hayden - your car has issues! Probably easily fixed but might take a while to find the problem.
    Sure does! And yeah, shouldn't be too hard to fix, mum actually offered to take it to an auto electrician and get it all sorted out, I don't think she know how much that would cost!

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    There has been a few threads about this but from the main things I recall

- series 1 505 fuse boards develops serious problems. I big job but if you can be bothered get a late model board and change over

- I did not have much success cleaning all the wiring points inside the doors but
    probably has to be done. Bad earth is generally the problem with electrical issues but in this case I think + supply problems are just as big a cause. None of the door actuators were the problem.

- there are a number of errors in the series 2 handbook re fuse layout and the reality. Just cause it says central locking is on a certian fuse, you need to double check. I assume that this could be the case on Series 1.

- I fitted remote central locking systems to both our 505's, just about fixed all problems, but not until a new batteries were fitted. I'm not sure why things improved with a new battery but I assumed that to activate all four actuators battery power had to be very strong. Easy to test your car with a slightly bigger battery.

- I'd be taking the central console out re the cigarette lighter blowing fuses, sounds like you have a wire crossing/contacting in behind the panel. The wiring can get pretty messy in there particularly if you have fitted a new radio etc. If there is no problem there, the fuse board is guilty again.
    What is the difference between S1 and S2 boards? My spare parts cars' (S1 SR) one appears to be identical to my S2 Gtis but that also has a GTi engine, Gti interior and tons of other mods.

What remote central locking kit did you use? Is there any you recommend? Did you keep the 505s actuators or did you use after market ones?

And yes, the centre console has to come out anyway, the previous owner cut holes in it so I was going to have a go at fixing the wiring while I was there. Some one has taken the dash off before and done a very bad job of putting it back together, I'm slowly fixing it all....

Thanks

Hayden
    Last edited by sideways_505; 12th December 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Hayden I think some quality control was applied to later fuse boards, (some of the parts in early 505 may have come from what Clarksons describes as "Algerian workshops with saw dust for floors"). I got both remotes from ebay.hk manly because I found original 505 keys for sale there. Clearly there isn't much to remote systems so $40 to $50 is max.

You do take pot luck with the key ring controllers, one of them looks square shaped and old but the buttons are well recessed and it doesn't go off at the slightest touch. The other is a sashy teardrop shape but the buttons aren't recessed enough to stop unintentional activation.

The central locking works fine when you work through the wiring etc so I kept the original door actuators but others may say that putting newer ones on helps solve some of the problems. At the moment the front passenger door on the diesel is the only one that doesn't unlock, just need to take the door panel off and give everything the once over. works fine with the key in that door or if I click the remote a couple of times. But I can't stress too much how things improved on both cars after new batteries were fitted. The diesel has a wopping big battery as normal, (the old one was 5-6 years old) so it needed replacement and I got an extra year warranty by going to a 660cca on the GTi, a stronger battery than it needs but door locks all stoped misbehaving.

On another note i had a faulty RHS door window on the Gti. I kept swapping the switch over with limited improvement. Eventually I took the door panel off and found the wiring to be damaged. I shouldn't have assumed it was the switch to start with but often when i changed the switch it would start working properly for a while. Old wiring can be the main problem with any 25 year old car. Good luck with sorting things through.

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    On another note i had a faulty RHS door window on the Gti. I kept swapping the switch over with limited improvement. Eventually I took the door panel off and found the wiring to be damaged. I shouldn't have assumed it was the switch to start with but often when i changed the switch it would start working properly for a while. Old wiring can be the main problem with any 25 year old car. Good luck with sorting things through.
    Yep - apart from the central locking not working, my windows are dodgy also. The RHS front window is intermittently faulty - closing usually works, but opening doesn't. My LHS front window is also intemittently faulty and doesn't always like going up. My driver's side rear window doesn't work at all. My passenger's side rear window works fine though! I am slowly working my way through all of these issues as I get time. The car looks so crappy also and my kids are embarrassed to be seen in it (which is funny). The paint is totally stuffed and I intend to respray it very soon. Will probably post a thread about it....

Could be a race to see who fixes their locking problems first.

Funny story about the identical wagon at your mechanic's Thom!

Thread Information