• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SLC206
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By catshamlet

Thread: 307 HDI Flywheel Failure

Tadpole

Default 307 HDI Flywheel Failure

Has anyone else experienced a failure of the flywheel on a 307. Mine failed 5 months out of warranty and the repairs cost 2500 Dollars Peugeot would only contribute a third of the cost of the ppart approx $300.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jfevans1947 View Post
    Has anyone else experienced a failure of the flywheel on a 307. Mine failed 5 months out of warranty and the repairs cost 2500 Dollars Peugeot would only contribute a third of the cost of the ppart approx $300.
    Failure of a flywheel would have to be a manufacturing defect wouldn't it?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

The Dual Mass flywheels on modern diesels do tend to be a problem, so I've read.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I heard that this is a common problem on the VW golf.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by jfevans1947 View Post
    What else did they do for $2500.00???

We've had the crankshaft pulley/ duel mass flywheel/ or whatever you want to call it fail on our C5, part was just over $200.00 if all they did was replace, it couldn't be more that an hours work.

We opted to have the cam belt and water pump done at the same time, a new battery and fluid changed and the total job was around $1800.00...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    We've had the crankshaft pulley/ duel mass flywheel/ or whatever you want to call it fail on our C5, part was just over $200.00 if all they did was replace, it couldn't be more that an hours work.
    An hour's work for a mechanic to remove a 307 gearbox, remove the clutch, replace the flywheel and put it all back in again? Surely you jest.
    bremnem likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Must have got Seb Loeb's mechanics to do it whilst waiting for him to return!
    Fastest gearbox replacement I ever saw was 20 minutes, M21 in a V8 Commodore driven by Geoff Portman in the 1985 Alpine. Two blokes, whom had a bit of practice by this stage as it was gearbox four!, add a hoist and twenty minutes! The clutch finally failed just before it's next gearbox, 100-150 km competative life!

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    An hour's work for a mechanic to remove a 307 gearbox, remove the clutch, replace the flywheel and put it all back in again? Surely you jest.
    ...oops, 'Flywheel' (GB read more carefully in future)

Of course I'm talking about the crankshaft pulley, which is a straightforward job for a competent mechanic, and why I suggested $2500.00 was over the top.

Still find this intreguing though, what fails on the 307 flywheel? Simon are you saying the flywheel is like the crankshaft pulley and has an inner and outer with a rubberised join? and if so, for what reason or benefit?

Very embarrassed
    Chris
    bremnem likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

What else did they do for $2500.00???

We opted to have the cam belt and water pump done at the same time, a new battery and fluid changed and the total job was around $1800.00...

Cheers
    Chris
    G'day Chris

Just letting you know the flywheel is in the other end of the crank to the crank pulley! The flywheel is what the starter motor engages on to crank over the engine! So its between the engine and gearbox and has the clutch bolted to it! The crank pulley/hamonic balancer is an easy change at the belt end of the engine!
    To change the flywheel the engine and gearbox usually need to come out, then the gearbox removed from the engine followed by the clutch and then the flywheel is removed! Then it all needs to go back together. Would be no less than 16 hours.
    However some cars can have the gearbox removed with the engine still in the car, but i don't think a 307 HDI can be done that way! I hope this helps.

Cheers
    Chris

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    G'day Chris

Just letting you know the flywheel is in the other end of the crank to the crank pulley! The flywheel is what the starter motor engages on to crank over the engine! So its between the engine and gearbox and has the clutch bolted to it! The crank pulley/hamonic balancer is an easy change at the belt end of the engine!
    To change the flywheel the engine and gearbox usually need to come out, then the gearbox removed from the engine followed by the clutch and then the flywheel is removed! Then it all needs to go back together. Would be no less than 16 hours.
    However some cars can have the gearbox removed with the engine still in the car, but i don't think a 307 HDI can be done that way! I hope this helps.

Cheers
    Chris
    ...ummm er, yes, I knew that, but thanks.

My confusion is explained above

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

VIP Sponsor

G'day Chris

Cheers
    Chris
    Easy to pull the gearbox of a 205 out in situ, took us a mornings work to replace gearbox and fit a Motronic flywheel.
    As you say though don't know about a 307.
    Graham

oh ok then sorry about that, must have replied while i was writting!! might be usefull to sommeone else!!

Icon3

oh ok then sorry about that, must have replied while i was writting!! might be usefull to sommeone else!!
    It's all cool, and thanks for the reply...

So, just how does the 307 flywheel fail, and as the OP has asked, how common is this?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The dual mass flywheel (I've never actually seen one) from what I understand, is basically two flywheels with a big radial spring in between, to dampen NVH levels for today's modern diesel customer

I'm not really sure how they work, but they are no doubt a little more complicated than the traditional variety — which was just a lump of metal, really. More moving parts means more chances of something breaking.

Don't worry, Chris. You'll be happy to know the picture I found on servicebox was listed under the entry "crankshaft pulley".

Here's a blurb (one of many via Google) that helps explain it a bit, perhaps.

Dual Mass Flywheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 307 HDI Flywheel Failure-dmf.jpg  
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    The dual mass flywheel (I've never actually seen one) from what I understand, is basically two flywheels with a big radial spring in between, to dampen NVH levels for today's modern diesel customer

I'm not really sure how they work, but they are no doubt a little more complicated than the traditional variety — which was just a lump of metal, really. More moving parts means more chances of something breaking.

Don't worry, Chris. You'll be happy to know the picture I found on servicebox was listed under the entry "crankshaft pulley".

Here's a blurb (one of many via Google) that helps explain it a bit, perhaps.

Dual Mass Flywheel
    Thanks Simon, that link is a great read. If the 307 flywheel is any thing like the Mini, it has become quite complex and of course we will hear more about these failing in service. 2 steps forward 1 step back, or is that 1 step forward....

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Default Family car

you know, reading threads like this is why I have a standard family car that's made here in oz!

That is just a super ridiculous price to pay for a repair to any car. What ever happened to keep it simple stupid.I know it's the luck of the draw and I know the same thing could happen to the family commodore but geez I hear it so much more on the Euro stuff.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    you know, reading threads like this is why I have a standard family car that's made here in oz!

That is just a super ridiculous price to pay for a repair to any car. What ever happened to keep it simple stupid.I know it's the luck of the draw and I know the same thing could happen to the family commodore but geez I hear it so much more on the Euro stuff.

Moo
    Not just Euro stuff though. I have a Nissan pathfinder and had the clutch and flywheel replaced with a solid one at a cost of over 2 grand. Heaps of people with problems, enough for local clutch makers to produce the alternative solid flywheel etc.

You're right about the aussie stuff as the cost can be a bit less. A mate replaced the dual mass in his holden ute for a grand or so.

Cheers

Jim

Fellow Frogger!

I had two DMF failures on my 806 HDI
    the original one lasted 120,000 miles
    the replacement one made by LuK only lasted 2 years and 30,000 miles
    by the time the second one failed a four part conversion kit was available from Valeo
    this replaces the DMF with a solid flywheel and a conventional sprung clutch plate
    the engine is ever so slightly courser as full power but otherwise you wouldn't notice

and it hasn't failed either

Fellow Frogger!

just had a look
    if you have engine code DW10ATED then there is a Valeo four part conversion kit for your 307

otherwise you need to contact Valeo for advice I guess

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    I had two DMF failures on my 806 HDI
    the original one lasted 120,000 miles
    the replacement one made by LuK only lasted 2 years and 30,000 miles
    by the time the second one failed a four part conversion kit was available from Valeo
    this replaces the DMF with a solid flywheel and a conventional sprung clutch plate
    the engine is ever so slightly courser as full power but otherwise you wouldn't notice

and it hasn't failed either
    Do you ever wonder if your crank will shat itself now that the flywheel is solid???

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

no

valeo have sold thousands of these things and I haven't heard of it happening yet

used 2.0 HDI engines are getting cheap now anyway and mine has done over 200,000 miles

on the other hand my first DMF tried to chew its way through the transmission housing

no more DMFs for me

Fellow Frogger!

another thing
    early Citroen Xantia HDIs had the 110bhp engine without a DMF
    so unless they had a different crank I don't see the problem
    I've never heard of any HDI of any flavour destrying its crank so they must be pretty strong

. 2 steps forward 1 step back, or is that 1 step forward....

Cheers
    Chris
    Make your mind up, are y'dancin', or staggerin' to the bar?

Mine's a lager, BTW.

Mike.
    bremnem likes this.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Thread Information