[HOW TO] get fresh looking 206 headlights for $4
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default [HOW TO] get fresh looking 206 headlights for $4

I just finished reassembling and reinstalling my headlights, so I thought I'd post a quick guide on how to paint the headlight trim in black (or your paint color code if you're a Ford AU kinda guy...). The steps are not pictured as my camera was broken and I needed to borrow one for the "after" pics.

First you need to take off the black plastic grille by undoing the top locking clips with a flatblade screwdriver, then squeezing the bottom tabs from under the badge bar.

Advertisement

Secondly you need to remove the badge bar with 3 torx bolts. One is behind the badge from the top, the other 2 are on the headlights. There are also some clips on the fenders that just pull out.

Thirdly, there are three 10mm bolts in each headlight. One is right on the top and obviously placed. One is underneath the light and accessible directly from the front (where the badge bar was before). One is under a black plastic cover which pops off from just above the parking light globe. The headlights can now be unplugged and removed.

Fourthly, use a heat gun and flatblade screwdriver to soften the glue and pry apart the lens and the black shell of the headlight. Note that the parker globe will prevent the two from separating. The Headlight consists of 2 chrome sections, the metal reflector in the back and the chrome plastic shell around the front.

Fifthly, remove the chrome shell from inside the lens by unclipping it, then unclip the indicator lens. You can now paint the chrome shell as you wish. I chose satin black.

Sixthly, reverse all the steps to reassemble and reinstall the lights.

Ok so here is a few pictures of my headlights now, and one picture of one light stock and one black with the grille and badge bar off.

looks good in the pics...I suspect this treatment will not suit every car but it really is a very easy "mod"...
    I did this to my 306 s16 just because I hated seeing the peeling chrome plus the diffuser was cooked by 3000 wattt globes ...Once painted I thought: "cool"...so left it...makes the s16 meaner looking definitely...

well done...

dino

Looks great mate.

It costs hundreds to buy a similar looking set from ecosse!

Well done.

Could I ask how you glued them back together? Just reheated the original glue, or applied more?

Cheers

Ben
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

I just used clear silicone sealant. Blob it on and use your finger to swipe it into the grove. The advantage with this is that unlike the original glue, the silicone sets soft and stretchy, so the imperfect fit you can get when you reinstall the lenses wont matter.

@Dino - Yeah, this wouldn't suit all cars. The newer 206 GTi with body colored bump strips, in a light color like silver, would look rather bad with black headlights. On my red GTi with black trim it just fits like it was meant to be.

Currently I am awaiting the following linked tail lights to finish off the look. I may also get a rear diffuser, make a front lip, and have my signwriter friend cut me some vinyl GT stripes in gunmetal grey to add to the sporty stock look.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Default Black out

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    I just finished reassembling and reinstalling my headlights, so I thought I'd post a quick guide on how to paint the headlight trim in black (or your paint color code if you're a Ford AU kinda guy...). The steps are not pictured as my camera was broken and I needed to borrow one for the "after" pics.

First you need to take off the black plastic grille by undoing the top locking clips with a flat blade screwdriver, then squeezing the bottom tabs from under the badge bar.

Secondly you need to remove the badge bar with 3 torx bolts. One is behind the badge from the top, the other 2 are on the headlights. There are also some clips on the fenders that just pull out.

Thirdly, there are three 10mm bolts in each headlight. One is right on the top and obviously placed. One is underneath the light and accessible directly from the front (where the badge bar was before). One is under a black plastic cover which pops off from just above the parking light globe. The headlights can now be unplugged and removed.

Fourthly, use a heat gun and flat blade screwdriver to soften the glue and pry apart the lens and the black shell of the headlight. Note that the parker globe will prevent the two from separating. The Headlight consists of 2 chrome sections, the metal reflector in the back and the chrome plastic shell around the front.

Fifthly, remove the chrome shell from inside the lens by unclipping it, then unclip the indicator lens. You can now paint the chrome shell as you wish. I chose satin black.

Sixthly, reverse all the steps to reassemble and reinstall the lights.

Ok so here is a few pictures of my headlights now, and one picture of one light stock and one black with the grille and badge bar off.

The lights look good, though I would have left the number plate!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

That's just protecting me if I ever post a picture or video of me burning out or doing anything else equally silly/illegal

Looks good in the red man. The black just helps mould the headlights into the bumper and grill. Here is mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [HOW TO] get fresh looking 206 headlights for -pc061604.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Nice lights compns8, did you do that following my guide or had you already done that? If the former, I'm stoked that my guide helped somebody to do a mod

TBH i have done it in all my cars but it skipped my mind to do the GTi until i ready your thread , ill give you credit mate

Thread Information