GTi 180 won't start
  • Register
  • Help

Default GTi 180 won't start

All

Tried to start the car this morning , everything is fine can hear the fuel pump etc. But just a click when I turn the key to start the ignition.

Advertisement

It happened a couple of weeks ago and when I took out the key a retried everything was good again. Maybe it was a sign of other things

Any thoughts as to the possible cause?

Fellow Frogger!

If you do not see any other indicators ont he dash lighting up out of the ordinary. I would say that you may have a problem with your starter motor.

My starter motor died within the first 8 months of car ownership. Luckily though it was covered by warranty at the time.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Fellow Frogger!

Could also be a weak battery. Enough juice to get the pump and dash lit up, but not enough to spin the starter. Do the horn and headlights work well?

I might be remembering something entirely wrong, but perhaps a gentle knock with a hammer on the starter motor will un-seize it enough to get it going temporarily? Wait until someone else corroborates until trying that one!

speaksgeek, I agree also. This sounds like the Battery has failed on you, only takes one cell to die and there is just a click from the solenoid engaging, but not enough power to turn the starter. Try a fresh battery if you can borrow one. It is not uncommon for many of the 180 electrical issues to be battery related.
    Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Could also be a weak battery. Enough juice to get the pump and dash lit up, but not enough to spin the starter. Do the horn and headlights work well?

I might be remembering something entirely wrong, but perhaps a gentle knock with a hammer on the starter motor will un-seize it enough to get it going temporarily? Wait until someone else corroborates until trying that one!

When the battery is dead it will click when the key is turned over. Just car maintenance, every now and again one needs a new battery.....
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    G'day,
    gee, you are going back a few years. I remember when a gentle tap would fix almost anything. A harder tap would fix the remainder.
    regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thread Information