505 brake warning light
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 505 brake warning light

This light has been flicking on and off for the last couple of days making me feel very uncomfortable. I assumed that it was a brake disk wear indicator light. But the manual states it indicates fluid level low or handbrake on. The fluid level is fine so I'd like to know whats causing it before I go and change the front disk pads.

Thanks Rustpug

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505

ensure the handbrake lever is returned fully (nothing stuck under it)
    failing that remove cover and disconnect wire if light still comes on the problem is elsewhere!

mlb

Check the wires going to the pad sensors aren't rubbing on something and earthing out. I had a similar thing happen.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Tadpole

I'm going to change the pads. Is the sensor telling you your pads need changing? The manual states the warning light is saying the fluid level is low?

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by rustpug View Post
    I'm going to change the pads. Is the sensor telling you your pads need changing? The manual states the warning light is saying the fluid level is low?
    I wouldn't rush out to buy pads just because the light goes on. And you're right the light does warn of low fluid level, but also pad wear.

The way it works is there's a wire embedded into the pad that gets exposed on the face at the point of minimum pad thickness. This wire touches the disk, earths out, and illuminates the warning light. If there is a break down in the insulation of the wire and it's touching the body, the light too will illuminate.

A test is to unplug all of the sensor wires from each wheel and see if the light goes out. If it stays on, then it's not your pads. If it goes out, systematically plug the wires back in until the light comes on. There's the pad you're interested in.

Not that I'm advocating ignoring dodgy pads, but be sure that's the issue before going to the hassle and cost of replacing them. I know because I've done exactly the same thing. I had the brake light come on, so bought new pads. When I took off the wheel the existing pads were like new A bit of looking around found the wire was rubbing on the wheel and the insulation had been worn away.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Tadpole

Thanks very much Matt

Tadpole

It was the pads. Thanks for your advice.

I am amazed. A 25 year old pug with the brake sensor wires still attached to the front pads and signalling that they need replacement That is one hell of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    I am amazed. A 25 year old pug with the brake sensor wires still attached to the front pads and signalling that they need replacement That is one hell of a car.
    Indeed.
    Although very simple it is absent in many modern cars
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    ensure the handbrake lever is returned fully (nothing stuck under it)
    failing that remove cover and disconnect wire if light still comes on the problem is elsewhere!
    Don't know about Series I 505s but Series II have a separate light for the parking brake.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

mlb

Glad to hear you sorted it out.

Matt

Tadpole

Yes the car has a seperate handbrake light. The system worked well, when the pads got to a certain point, the light started flickering on with the brake peddle application.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    I like to think so

Thread Information