So where is the oil bath filter in 505 1986 Sli?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default So where is the oil bath filter in 505 1986 Sli?

I recently (two years ago) reinvigorated our 505 (factory sunroof, mechanical fuel injection, 320,000kms and still going strong) by getting the mechanic to check the oil bath air filter; he had been avoiding this for some time. I think the fuel consumption dropped by half and the car began to run really well. It still does. But I don't think I want to spend $100 per hour for something I might be able to do myself. (The car is a spare and I'd say we have 10,000-20,000 kms since he cleaned it out.)

Advertisement

Could someone please tell me where the oil bath filter is and what it looks like? I think it is to the right of the engine, lower than the height of engine, and is a vertical looking cylinder about 6" high, but I am not sure.

Is it really as awful to try and to clean out as the mechanic said? (I trust him BTW.)

cheers

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Carey View Post
    I recently (two years ago) reinvigorated our 505 (factory sunroof, mechanical fuel injection, 320,000kms and still going strong) by getting the mechanic to check the oil bath air filter; he had been avoiding this for some time. I think the fuel consumption dropped by half and the car began to run really well. It still does. But I don't think I want to spend $100 per hour for something I might be able to do myself. (The car is a spare and I'd say we have 10,000-20,000 kms since he cleaned it out.)

Could someone please tell me where the oil bath filter is and what it looks like? I think it is to the right of the engine, lower than the height of engine, and is a vertical looking cylinder about 6" high, but I am not sure.

Is it really as awful to try and to clean out as the mechanic said? (I trust him BTW.)

cheers

Stefan
    I can't comment on the specifics but if it's anything like the one in the diesel then it is quite easy to clean. Pull apart and run some kero through until it all looks shiny.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Tadpole

Default Thank you

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Stefan

It is a bit tiresome to clean out but well worth it. There are a couple of bolts placed at the back and underneath that are difficult to get at but when you do get it out it is well worth it.
    The bath is oval in shape, plastic, and has a metal strainer sitting in it. Best the take out the battery to get a better go at it. You will find that the fuel injection will benefit from a wipe with a petrol soaked rag too.
    I have done it many times. Best of luck.
    John505

Tadpole

Default Very helpful, thank you

Dear John, this will help me find it, thank you very much for the information.

cheers

Stefan

Thread Information