N3 306 running hot
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default N3 306 running hot

Hi all,

I've got an N3 306 XSI. It's always sat on around 92 degree (according to the temp guage), even on the hottest days with the air con running.

Advertisement

Suddenly, it's running about 13 degrees hotter (according to the temp guage). The radiator fans are kicking in at around 108 degrees, and cooling the car marginally to 105 ( (they used to kick in at 95 degrees and cool the car to around 92).

It does this only when I am sitting still in traffic.

When I am driving, the temp sits at 90 degrees. But, as soon as I stop (traffic lights etc) it goes up to around 108, the fan kicks in and it cools to around 105. If I put the air con on, the other fan comes on but it sits at around the same temperature.

Any ideas? My only thought was it might be a dodgy temp sender unit for the fans? Could they have their own fuse?

Any help appreciated.

Both fans should always run together.

Have you checked your coolant levels?

Tadpole

Didn't know that about the fans. Always assumed that one was controlled by the temp and the other by the air con being on. Interesting. Has always run that way though.

Yep - coolant was the first thing I checked.

Guessing thermostat is stuffed.
    It's an easy replacement. Most auto shops stock the correct one. make sure you get a replacement o-ring gasket as the t-stat will come with a paper one which is useless.
    Possibly do a flush of the cooling system while you are at it and replace the coolant. it'll run sweet again after that.

Auto stant #ST 31-180
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

I initally thought that but dismissed it because I only replaced the thermostat last summer.

I'll check it out in the morning - see how quickly the hot comes through but it makes sense.

Thanks.

Tadpole

Thermostat it was. That's the second one in a year - maybe I should buy genuine parts....

Thanks HKP....

Quote Originally Posted by bodgyvr View Post
    Thermostat it was. That's the second one in a year - maybe I should buy genuine parts....

Thanks HKP....
    Nah, don't think that'd fix the problem. Both the Scenic and Xsara here had thermostats fail within 6 months of each other. As far as I can tell, they were both OEM and the Scenic one was the original and they were both the same type so I guess wherever the manufacturers source theirs from, it's the same place in France.
    Original would be Ok and I don't think they are too dear. French Connection will have them.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thread Information