The 'AUS-spec' 205 GTi 1.6 project
  • Register
  • Help

Default The 'AUS-spec' 205 GTi 1.6 project

Finally got a chance to drive the car for a few days after replacing the engine late last year. Haven't had a chance to do any 'fixing' recently due to work commitments.

I'll post my impressions on the drive soon ( = good!) but wanted to share the specs as a few people have expressed interest in a similar conversion.

The AUS-spec 1.6

I purchased a 1.6 long motor out of an Si from a fellow Frogger a few years back. I found a decent recipient car earlier this year.

The engine is:

1992 1.6l Si
    Head skimmed and reconditioned by Peter Taylor
    Si camshaft replaced with GTi cam (Stage One grind by PeterT)
    All seals, hoses, clips, clamps, belts and busted bits replaced.

Gearbox is a standard BE1 with skimmed flywheel and all clutch parts replaced.

Advertisement

Engine is bolted straight into the GTi, with only the distributor mounting from the GTi system needing to be bolted onto the head and the oil cooler pipes screwed onto the block (the block is the same on the Si and GTi).

The idea came from another frogger (thanks Al!) who suggested that the late Si head was the same as the GTi, with larger valves than the S1 and S2 GTi cars. The only apparent difference is the camshaft and the shorter bore and stroke.

This engine will freely rev past the redline and seems to have relatively even torque curve (if a little low). Power obviously comes in later in the revs. It's a bit lumpy at low revs and in first gear around town - this may be due to the distributor requiring remapping - or simply just the hotter GTi cam.

Fuel is 98RON only (I had a few problems with people putting 91 in it...)

I'll try and get some pictures up if people are interested.

The idea was to rebuild an engine relatively cheaply, learning about the car as I went along.

Next stage is to fix the suspension rattle (new control arms needed) and tidy up the interior, then put a decent sounding exhaust on it.

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Thats sounds like a really fun car! Wish I could rev my car that much.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Tadpole

1992 1.6l Si

just make sure you not need 10 mm shims for the cam

magic, can you get your build thread going again (sorry for change in subject). We all want to see the progress.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

al

Quote Originally Posted by four_plus_two View Post
    The idea came from another frogger (thanks Al!) who suggested that the late Si head was the same as the GTi, with larger valves than the S1 and S2 GTi cars. The only apparent difference is the camshaft and the shorter bore and stroke.
    That makes me nervous... especially as i have no recollection of doing that.

It sounds good though. I'm not a fan of the aus spec 8 valve engines, but love the way the si goes.

Totally unrelated, but i lost my phone while out in the park on the bike a few weeks ago. Fortunately it was found - by the guy i bought the grey 405 from! He was pleased to know it is still being looked after... i politely didn't mention the damage his butcher of a mechanic did, which i think we both spent plenty fixing.

How is the rest of the car? Is this the one i checked out that time?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    magic, can you get your build thread going again (sorry for change in subject). We all want to see the progress.
    no way i will repost 15 pages agian... soon my own wep page with a forum will be online..
    then u can see all builds there ...
    just wait another 2 weeks ..

Quote Originally Posted by magic View Post
    1992 1.6l Si

just make sure you not need 10 mm shims for the cam

I think Peter put the shims in, if memory serves me right...

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    That makes me nervous... especially as i have no recollection of doing that.

It sounds good though. I'm not a fan of the aus spec 8 valve engines, but love the way the si goes.

Totally unrelated, but i lost my phone while out in the park on the bike a few weeks ago. Fortunately it was found - by the guy i bought the grey 405 from! He was pleased to know it is still being looked after... i politely didn't mention the damage his butcher of a mechanic did, which i think we both spent plenty fixing.

How is the rest of the car? Is this the one i checked out that time?
    Yes - all your fault!

It's the car you looked at for me, the good bits off the previous car I wrecked are on it now. Interior is a bit tatty, seats need recovering (they've got grey covers on at the moment) but the body is OK. Probably worth what I paid for it as a rolling shell ...

The engine is awesome though!

I'm thinking of selling the Mi16, it hasn't been the same since I hit a kangaroo last year....

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

al

Quote Originally Posted by four_plus_two View Post
    Yes - all your fault!

It's the car you looked at for me, the good bits off the previous car I wrecked are on it now. Interior is a bit tatty, seats need recovering (they've got grey covers on at the moment) but the body is OK. Probably worth what I paid for it as a rolling shell ...

The engine is awesome though!

I'm thinking of selling the Mi16, it hasn't been the same since I hit a kangaroo last year....
    That is a great result - you can tidy it up over time. I did the same thing with my 205 just before i sold you the 405. I got it on the road in a basic form, and upgraded from there. Now i'm desperately undoing most of the stuff i did to it...

If you can put the 405 on a truck i'll have it back. I think the depot is somewhere near Breakfast Creek...? i've texted you and PMd. How bad is it?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    That is a great result - you can tidy it up over time. I did the same thing with my 205 just before i sold you the 405. I got it on the road in a basic form, and upgraded from there. Now i'm desperately undoing most of the stuff i did to it...

If you can put the 405 on a truck i'll have it back. I think the depot is somewhere near Breakfast Creek...? i've texted you and PMd. How bad is it?
    PM'd.

Shouldn't be a problem - only minor probs need sorting. Just needs a bit of TLC.

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Magic - you have a PM, re: this car!

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

good to hear the gifted Si engine went to good use & the advice given + recommended people was followed up on
    Andrew.

C2 VT​S
    205 GTi

G'day Andy, yep, it took a while (and two cars and three states) but it's finally in!

Pity it died on me the first time I drove it out of the carpark and had to get it towed home from Southbank. Needs a new ignition module (only, I hope).

Then it's just the usual things, driveshaft boot, top mounts, lower mount, retrim steering wheel, replace entire dash and dodgy 1987 wiring looms ...

Is your car a JRA build (ie, not imported)? I've noticed on mine a lot of the parts (especially the wiring) seems to be 'mix and match' between the early GTi and non-GTi cars. Not sure if they came like that from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower View Post
    good to hear the gifted Si engine went to good use & the advice given + recommended people was followed up on

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Currently on hold due to a cracked liner in #1 cylinder (finally found my coolant disappearing / lack of power problems).

Stand by for a new 1.6 project that may be a little surprising...
    Last edited by four_plus_two; 8th January 2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: what a cracked liner looks like

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Is the new 1.6 coming from a 206?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    what is it about these cars that turn grown men into babies wanting a 2nd or 3rd identical rattle? now, wheres my wallet....

Quote Originally Posted by 404ism View Post
    Is the new 1.6 coming from a 206?
    Maybe ...

Search for a donor car begins on Monday.

1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Thread Information