206 GTi - Accidental Tuning
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon11 206 GTi - Accidental Tuning

Hi all, I recently changed my timing belt (long overdue 160,000KM service), and replaced my oil filter and oil with fully synthetic 10W40. After starting the car again it stalled on the first start. With some pedal I got it to start, then after about 10 seconds of giving it some, it idled at 1,000 happily enough. I then revved up to 5,500RPM and noticed that the dashboard beeped and the interior light flashed. This would happen every time I revved past 5,000 or so. After putting the wheel back on and starting the car, surprise surprise, no more error. However, I noticed much less torque down low, but more top end power (3,500 - 6,000 range). I think I may have advanced my camshaft timing a little by mistake (I pinned all the shafts etc and had no slack in the belt though). Over the 4 days or so since, which has held many short trips and a few 20-50 minute drives at 80KM/h, the low end has improved somewhat.

Is this the ECU's delayed learning catching up with the advancing? Will it become any more drivable? Will advanced cam timing damage my engine greatly? Can I retard the cam timing now by just adjusting the camshaft pulleys with their 3 bolts in long slots? I've heard of many people in the UK doing this intentionally for increased performance, is the gain worth the shoddy low end?

Advertisement

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

VIP Sponsor

Sorry that I have no 'helpful advice' to offer... but seems a bit odd to me. Now well may you have got one or both cams a tooth out or simply 'advanced' or 'retarded' the valve timing as a result of incorrect belt tensioning... but either way I can't see how it would 'improve itself with driving'.... perhaps someone else could wise me up in this area?

you rev your car to 5500?? Just after changing your belt and I bet it was on a cold engine?

Maybe after all those years the belt has stretched / worn a tad so the first thing to suffer would be the timing. Now it's back where it should be.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Default Huh??

[QUOTE=Rod Slater;908950[ Now well may you have got ///[/QUOTE]

.............sounds like Gough Whitlam

Fellow Frogger!

I had a similar problem with a 306 turned out that the harmonic balancer which as you know is the crankshaft pulley was also in need of changing

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.
    I'm guessing the flashing interior light and the beeping was the car's "the wheels are turning and you still don't have your seatbelt on" message. Even in neutral, with enough rpm the wheels will start to turn if one of them is off the ground. Similar things happen with the door open and wheels turning.

Other than that, it's hard to offer any suggestions.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    you rev your car to 5500?? Just after changing your belt and I bet it was on a cold engine?
    So what??
    5500rpm is nothing as long as there is oil flowing, and if there is not, any revs will be fatal.
    Every single time I leave my property it is at full noise to limiter on a cold motor, and thats an old school 8v motor with thick mineral oil.
    I'll let you know the decade something fails on this donk.

According to my literature, the cam has more load on it at idle than at 3000rpm, so if the motor cant handle going 5500 with no load, it must be a complete lemon.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

@SLC206 Thanks for your reply, that puts my mind at ease. After I power cycled the ECU it wasn't giving me the problem, and I was worried I'd never get a diagnosis out of a scan tool

@Pugsley Were you experiencing the beeping or the torque curve changing or both?

Thread Information