In Love with a Pug.... Again!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    VIP Sponsor

Default In Love with a Pug.... Again!

Today I picked up a 58,000 Km Peugeot 607 and despite only having owned it for about 4 hours I am in love with it already.

Having had a 7/24 relationship with Peugeot's since may 1968 I can say that THIS 607 is by far the most enjoyable Peugeot I have EVER had the pleasure to drive.

I recently sold a top of the range 27,000km 2006 Lexus IS 250 Sports Luxury and this Peugeot drives every bit as good as the Lexus.

Until now I had perceived the 607 to be a bit of a 'Lemon'... Just goes to show one should never judge a book by it's cover, for this is a truely 'Great' car.

Advertisement

and those in a beemer often wonder why that big fat blob in their rearview mirrors is still following in the corners
    enjoy it!! I know I do already for 120.000 km's

1000+ Posts

Good on ya Rod! I've been thinking that 607s are getting very affordable, so very pleased to see a 607 thread.

You'd better give Trevor (tlampre) some encouragment - he wants a 607 but is threatening to go german as he hasn't been able to find out whether the 607 has laminated side windows.

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

I've been saying for years the 607 is one of the best luxury drives money can buy. They often fall apart and have disastrous problems, but when they work they are sensational. In fact, they're nearly as good to drive as the 605!

Re Lexus IS250, a 607 leaves the Lexus for dead. Much more precision and feel in the steering.

VIP Sponsor

Just picked my Solicitor up, for lunch, in the 607.

Now he is a former owner of Rover/Renault/Peugeot/Lexus/Mercedes/Jaguar and he was very impressed with the car.

He said "Now this is what I call a car Rod, what did you pay for this?...., did you get any change from $50k"?

is it a phase I or a phase II?

Phase II are very reliable and yes they have laminated windows (exept for the rear window).
    Something to take care about is the size of the window strut. At cross roads it can block your sight (in your case to the right) completely and a whole car can dissapear into it. Only way to avoid such problems it moving your head a little bit more than usual.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

I have one of the first 607s (built 12th December 2000) and the side windows are laminated. It's UK spec of course so I don't know if that makes a difference.

1000+ Posts

My UK-spec 605 was substantially more specced up than the Australian models. Although it helped that it was an SVE and not an SV. Nonetheless, the 607s that made it to Australia were a bit cheaper still. Where the 605 sold for $85,500 (excl sunroof) the 607s were around the $72K mark with quite a lot 'missing'.

pictures???????

I got offered a high milage 2001 607 for sub $10k.
    Are they worth it and what are the issues?

The look is $ecs on wheels.....

please post......

Oh, picks or death....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Do they really handle like a barge? From every review I have read, they aren't much chop to drive! Nice creamy V6 though - ruined by the gearbox!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

if you have a 607 with the electronic regulated suspension it might not always give the good compromise. The normal shocks are better, but the springs lack stiffness.
    I have gone round this problem by installing lowering springs that are much stiffer, putting on 19 inch wheels (of the 407 coupé) and giving the front axle a little bit more toe in. This gave as result that the car reacts directly when turning the steering wheel. Before that there was a slight reaction time between giving the command at the steering wheel and the front axle reacting to this command. In the wet, when beemers start to wave their behinds and have to back off, I floor the accelerator and the car pulls nicely through the corner. It doesn't mean that it has become a race car, but it is now far more fun to drive.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Do they really handle like a barge? From every review I have read, they aren't much chop to drive! Nice creamy V6 though - ruined by the gearbox!
    Still not driven it far enough to fully evaluate, in fact still getting my head around all the things it does... but so far no vices have shown up.

Brilliant headlights, leave my 406 Coupe and 2004 Laguna V6 for dead in that department.

Transmission silky smooth (so far)

Ride excellent, on suburban streets and freeway... yes it has the electronic adjust shocks, with 'sport' mode... but just set mine in auto ride mode.

Great Aircon...rare for a 'frogmobile'.... but bloody hot to get into when parked outside in 30+ temperature... being black with black leather doesn't help in that area tho.

I'm off to the 'Festival of speed' today...still deciding which car to take, but think the 406 Coupe best suited for occassion.

Brigitte and I went to the 40th anniversary Coffin Cheaters party last night (yes we do have friends in strange places) and went in her C4..... when we rocked up in that and parked it amongst the shinny black Harley's they thought we were the floor show... so now to find out what Mark Webber thinks when I leave the Renaults at home and rock up on the 406?

1000+ Posts

If I were insanely rich, I'd buy a 607 without thinking. But the way things are now, being young and still needing to fill the superannuation account, I'm warming to the idea of forking out a bit more up front and buying a late-ish model S-Class. That way, at least the long-term ongoing expenses will be kept in check and I can drive (and use) a car that won't fall apart. I don't mind the falling apart bit as such, but the expense to keep a 607 looking brand new would be astronomical compared to say running an S500L.

The 607 looks much better though, without the snob stigma of a Benz, but I just wouldn't be able to afford it... regrettably.

Why would it be expensive to run it? On the french peugeot forum there are many 607 owners present. Many have passed the 100.000 km's, many have passed the 200.000 km's (even petrol cars) and some are already far above that without major expenses. You need to avoid the first 607's but after two years they have become very reliable, especially the phase II models (I don't know if they made it to Australia).
    The V6 engines go on for ever, phase I or II doesn't matter. The police have used these engines in their 406 interception cars and they have all above 400.000 km's (some manual some auto gearbox). On a regular basis the engines are pushed to the limit to see if the top speed is still attained within the time peugeot has prescribed. They are now beeing replaced by BMW 330D and 120D
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

I drool for one of those 406's... were can we buy them?
    1992 405 SRI 1.9lt White Series I
    2001 206 GTi 2.0lt Diablo Red

they let them die out: no maintenance anymore and when they brake down they get replaced

but if you want one: Belgium is the place to be
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

haha, bit to far for me. I mate had a V6 406 coupe, the Pininfirina badged model, damn nice car. As a point of interest, the 406 shape itself was also designed by Pininfirina (he also had input into the 405 shape).

But it shows in the design. The 406, WITH the V6 (not with the 4cyl) is quite a nice beastie.

Quote Originally Posted by max_wedge View Post
    haha, bit to far for me. I mate had a V6 406 coupe, the Pininfirina badged model, damn nice car. As a point of interest, the 406 shape itself was also designed by Pininfirina (he also had input into the 405 shape).

But it shows in the design. The 406, WITH the V6 (not with the 4cyl) is quite a nice beastie.
    Pininfarina was involved with basically every Peugeot from the 403(1955) to the 406.

Thanks

Hayden

Rod, great to see you have found another new classic French car and are not afraid to be positive about it.

What's with the crap build accusations PJ? Is it the same as the very small percentage of posts on the net about the Scenic Rx4 gearbox? A few people complain and everyone else with no knowledge first hand of the cars beats up on them to the Nth degree.

Jurgen, we are luckier than Belgium in one way, down here due to the fact we don't get too many of the nicer French cars but when they do come up for sale as s/h cars, mostly enthusiasts like Rod and the rest of us buy them. The one owner ones are great because it's usually people who would not buy Pug/Ren/Cit as a car so they have been fully maintained with all log books. Makes for excellent value second hand cars.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sideways_505 View Post
    Pininfarina was involved with basically every Peugeot from the 403(1955) to the 406.

Thanks

Hayden
    That doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the info. The 406 coupe was I believe a more involved Pininfarina project than previous models.
    Last edited by max_wedge; 29th November 2010 at 09:43 AM.

1000+ Posts

Here, as I've mentioned in other threads, my comments re 607 are that they appear to be a lottery. One car I've followed for 8 months, with only 50,000km on the clock, burnt through about $25K in that time frame. My comments should also be seen in the context of the Australian market where maintaining high-end Peugeots is DIFFICULT, due to their limited number and complete disinterest and disrespect for them by the dealer network. The 607 I refer to, which was a 2002 build, 2004 delivery car, usually came back from the DEALER with new problems every time it went in for repairs. Comparing this to how Mercedes Benz treat their flagship-buying customers is quite frightening. This particular 607 was returned with loose screws, metal filings and other gunk all over the passenger cabin. I won't begin to describe the hell the owner went through.

After the car had $25K spent on it, and was actually running OK, I was asked if I wanted to buy it (knowing it was a lemon, and the promise that the problems would probably continue), for $5K. This was about a year ago. The car presented in MINT condition. I declined the offer.

The owner of this 607 owned a 605 before it. We both agree that the 605 is a much better built car. Not great, things still break off from time to time, but the 607 is just too flimsy. Regrettably.

If I lived in Europe I'd take the punt. More were sold, and mechanics know how to fix them. I had an early (1990) 605 3.0SV in The Netherlands and having it maintained wasn't a problem. That car sat on 200km/h+ several times a week, regularly turning Belgium into just a very brief, wet and miserably blur on its trips to the warm and sunny Med.

Comparing the ownership experience of a 1990 605 in Europe (which according to the statistics is supposed to be miserable) to the ownership experience of a 1995 605 in Australia, which is REALLY miserable, but I accept it as I love the car, goes to show that you can't compare what it is like to live with the car between different markets.

If you ask 607 owners in Australia who have previously owned 605 (there were only 48 of the 605 ever officially sold in Australia) so there aren't too many of those people, they'll invariably tell you that the 607 made their life awful. It is a fact that 607 ownership, for some, has led to the taking of medication in order to cope. That is NOT what flagship automobile life should be like.

My mate who went through hell with his 607 had lived with over 35 Peugeots in his family, nearly all of them bought from new. He still has a 2003 406 coupe, but the 607 finalised the purchasing of any further Peugeot for the family. It was replaced by a Skoda as the daily driver and a classic Benz cabrio.

It's a shame, because I LOVE the look of the 607, the feel of the drive, and nearly everything about the 607. It's just such a shame they didn't build them and market them properly.
    Last edited by PJ810; 29th November 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by max_wedge View Post
    That doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the info. The 406 coupe was I believe a more involved Pininfarina project than previous models.
    Yep. All 406 coupes were actually built in Italy by pininfarina so it was a lot more involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen_s View Post
    is it a phase I or a phase II?

Phase II are very reliable and yes they have laminated windows (exept for the rear window).
    Something to take care about is the size of the window strut. At cross roads it can block your sight (in your case to the right) completely and a whole car can dissapear into it. Only way to avoid such problems it moving your head a little bit more than usual.
    Couldn't be any worse than the current Commodore.
    i'm not strange, everyone else is..........

I'm not shure if PJ and I are talking of the same kind of car. Therefore my question again: was it a phase I or phase II? Phase II has no electric problems anymore. The phase I suffered from it in in a certain way the first two years, but the problems were never so dramatic as with the beginning years of the 605. Those problems even made it in the newspaper with people complaining about it and Peugeot seeming unable to do something about it, because the cars kept breaking down.
    Also a big difference between phase I and phase II models is the kind of electric system used: phase I is VAN-bus system, phase II is CAN-bus system. Where the CAN-bus is far more bug free than the VAN-bus system and if an error occurs it is easier to find and to repair (of course if you have a mechanic that can fix it).
    And if the garage is creating problems, you can hardly blame the manufacturer for it. Mine is highly maintained by the Peugeot dealer who knows what he is doing, but other that the regular check ups, I had no problems with it (know +120.000 km's on it). Oh yes, one small issue after all: due to the electric powered trunk and all the cables running in the left hinge, I suffer from an error message that the right reversing light is out of order, where it is not in fact. Because the cables are in the hinge and are bent over and over again when opening or closing the boot, they sometimes snap. Small problem to fix what will take you half an hour do to so. When it is not so cold anymore (so after the winter), I will fix it myself.
    Know problem for the 607.
    For the meanwhile I enjoy the luxurious ride and smile at the driver next to me that has paid his Merc, Audi or Beemer twice as much and still needs to call with his cellular phone in his hand and the garmin navigation stuck to his windscreen.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information