Gettin more power out of a 403 donk
  • Register
  • Help

Default Gettin more power out of a 403 donk

Hi ive got a 403 well actully i have 5 of them anyway my best one is in my carport slowly getting fixed up i was wondering if anyone out there has any good info on how to get a few more horses out of a standard 403 motor i was thinking of putting a later 2 litre 504 motor in it but its looking to be in the to hard basket besides i want it to be fairly original any info in carbs camshafts specs would be much appreciated, by the way ive got a couple of 403 parts cars if you are after something i may be able to help cheer,marcus

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

There is a small woden boat that set some speed record or other in the Brisbane museaum. From memort it had a 203 motor in it.

A start maybe?

Icon10 Alter the exhaust a little, then.......

Ask santa for a shoehorn and pop in one of these.

Mike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gettin more power out of a 403 donk-saturn5_booster.jpg  
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

For what it is worth a couple of mates of mine fitted superchargers to them back in the late 60's , marcus.

Bear in mind , though, that it is only a three bearing motor, that the front main bearing can be a bit iffy because of oil flow issues, and that the cylinder heads aren't exactly renowned for robustness, and the clutches aren't renowned for durability , either, so adding too much "oomph" might be too much for it.

Simple things like fitting electronic ignition and tidying up the carburettor can make a bit of a difference.

"Sports Car Graphic", in October 1962, had an article called "Competition Tuning the Peugeot", which covered the 403 and 404, but I'm afraid I don't have a copy.

An injected 404 motor would be worth thinking about if you can a) find one, and b) have the time necessary.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

You can shoe horn a 404/504/505 motor into the 403.

However it's lots of work and the motor needs to be stood up vertical, the oil pump moved (use a belt driven pump).

Also engine mounts and sumps need massive rework, and the bell housing.

In my opinion there are better and easier motors to transplant.

Graham Wallis mentioned a red holden motor.

I'm doing research for mates 203 Wagon which has a seedy engine.

I'm come up with so far:

Astron Sigma 2.6
    Volvo 4 cyl
    Datsun 1600/120y
    Madza B series

It would appear, since there is plenty of room fore-aft the best idea would be fit a crankshaft spacer to the new engine and use original flywheel on the new engine. Then bell housing adaption could then be a flat plate. Sump versus cross member could be problematic and needs careful investigation.

I saw this last night which is good value for a new complete engine:
    http://www.japparts.com.au/products/engines.html ... scroll down a bit....

I'm considering the Toyota 4y engine with all accessories for $2600, you would be lucky to fully reco any engine for that cost.

Whether it can be made fit is another question...
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 403

My blue 403b is bog standard (often pictured at the top of the page),
    slow of the mark but sits on 100k all day,
    even returned 42mpg on a long freeway trip !!!

the 403 motor in my 203 had liners bored for jp pistons, a cam and 504 diesel exhaust valves
    a bit of port relief and a 3/4 SU carb and extractors this cost a few grand years ago

the performance was very satisfying

Graham Wallis when he returns will have the answer to your question
    last time i heard him give advice on the 403 performance subject was.
    get your carby and disy reconditioned,
    take up to 50 thou off the head
    and bore out the exhaust manifold to pipe size,
    before you spend lots of money.

Cheers

1000+ Posts

I think it was Sports Car World did a detailed article on modifying 03 engines. I've long ago lost the original copy but I think there is a Torque reprint somewhere. The problem is, the main source they quoted of modified "off the shelf" components was Cooke & Saville Motors in Sydney who are long gone. Even more ambitious was an American article (Car & Driver or Road & Track) from about 1962 that came up with a Frenchman who did a double overhead cam coversion of the 403 and ended up with 100 bhp! There is also a Wheels road test on Bob Holdens 203 which details his modifications.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 203

there was a story the twin cam head was a Jag cut down????

The Monaco Peugeot and Bob Pinkertons 403 special get over 120hp. and can go to 7000 rpm with twin webbers, porting, forged pistons etc but only practical on the track

another friend has been playing with trying to fit a 405 injection system to the 403 head,
    have not head how he is going with that recently

Cheers

Default Gettin more power out of a 403 donk

marcus m,
    I used a 404 "1600cc" sleeve and piston kit in both my 203 van and 403 s/w which gave them good torque in the '70. One could also add a nice compact SC14 supercharger with clutch, to turn on the 403.

whatever you do stay away from the volvo motor i use to drive a volvo 240 wagon for about a year the car only cost me a$100 bucks but man it burnt a hole in my pocket with the fuel usage they use more fuel than a holden 6 thanks for the info anyway i think i will stick with the 403 donk im just going to see what i can do with it i have a few spare motors so if i blow 1 or 2 it wont be the end of the world cheers,marcus

do you know if 404 sleeves will drop right in or will i have to machine the 403 block to suitthanks,marcus

JP pistons in Adelaide make high compression pistons for 403s, about $650 for the set I think. They bring your compression up to a whopping 8:1! I've been considering an AMR500 or SC12 supercharger, the AMR is probably a bit small though. Keeping up with enthusiastic traffic can be a bit... Fun in a 403 They are brilliant on the highway though, good on fuel too. Man I've got to get mine going again......

Bob Pinkertons 403 race car is incredible, you should contact him if possible.

Post some pictures of your 403s please!

Thanks

Hayden

Fellow Frogger!

Default 403

You do need to machine the block for 1600 liners, 403 blocks split between 2 and 3
    there is more meat in a 203 block, less chance of cracking

you also need to use the low comp flat top early 404 pistons

that is why my liners were bored to 1550cc to suit available pistons

be really careful in rebuilding 403 motors at present , most new 403 gasket sets have 203 liner seals

don't use them water leaks result!!!!

the book says 203 seals are marked with yellow....check that dont take my word

there are new 403 piston/liner set on ebay.com
    cheers

Thread Information