205 MI16 Racecar - Broom Broom - Page 5
  • Help
Page 5 of 6 First 123456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
    Wonder if you could use something like these http://www.motorsport-sales.com/inde...oducts_id=2787 to aid the rear torsion bars...

i.e. have a 21mm bar then run idfferent springs to vary spring rate for different events - circuit, gravel, tarmac, wet, dry, etc...

also i want to go shopping:

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/inde...oducts_id=3535

Advertisement

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/inde...oducts_id=3176
    Aren't 205 T16 wheels metric?

That engine looks nice, though
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Very productive day.

1) original gray bonnet back on so the black auto bonnet can get repainted and a couple dents taken out.
    2) the seam welded subframe went in with no troubles - should be interesting to see what effect it has
    3) 25mm rear arb fitted after a trip to jays and mitre 10 to get a grinder and grinding discs. The end plate had a massive weld bead which was rubbing on the tyre - to took a bunch of that off. It seams that bar is a little longer than the 24mm bar we made.

So yea tomorrow will give it a wash! And clean and fix the loose dash and remove the Herbert engineering stickers finally.

Epic day!

Took 2.5 seconds out of my practice run!

Almost introduced the front of the car to the concrete barrier at the entrance to turn 1 (outside) - nothing like rear brakes locking up when your braking from 170+...

Managed a best lap of 1:21.1 in the second timed run.

Massive issues with brake temps, boiled brand new rbf600 after the first timed run. Also getting fuel surge issues, so yeah more things to sort!

The final run of the race yesterday. The shake in the camera is from the flatspots i created in the slide in practice - a friend thought that something was flapping around...

Run 1 - - if you look carefully from 11 - 13 seconds you can see my marks from my slide. Starts the one on the left, then one on the right then one in the middle.

engine sounds good. not many others on the track? I would have thought you to be quicker off the line than that clio and other black one (golf?)
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

It was my friend in the Clio, so i was going to follow him for a bit as i thought he might be quicker so i let him go a little... but turns out i was over a second quicker than him....

It was a dual car sprint so there where 10 on track lined up in pairs and let off in 10 second intervals. So yeah it was actually pretty good.

The black car was a Nissan pulsar... it was a fair bit quicker than me, he had a passenger with him most of the time... I'm not sure the time below is with out with a passenger.

186 - Aaron Johns - Nissan Pulsar - 01:20.61 - 12
    205 - Heath Simone - Peugeot 205 GTI - 01:21.12 - 13
    172 - Simon Rollinson - Renault Clio RS - 01:22.63 - 25

Given the engine is basically stock with just a big exhaust, Intake tweek, and Peter's chip - i don't think the result is bad at all! GO the might 128hp at wheel!

Well it's been a while since the last update, we had another race in the series in November and the car felt off the whole time... And was over 1 second slower then the year before on the 1.3km hillclimb.

On the 2 hour drive home, we developed a nasty vibration in the car and could more the car left and right on the throttle which was fun about 45 min from the house. Pulling over we couldn't see anything. After getting home safely we grabbed the wheel and gave it a good push pull and heard a lovely clunking noise of a very dead wheel bearing.

We did manage to put in a good enough time to secure the overall championship and the class c titles.

This year hopefully we should start making some progress towards making more power in the car. We are looking am importing a set of gsxr throttles from the states and running a link storm ecu which are both yet to be purchased but the saving has started. So ideally this time next year we should be though img down a few more ponies!

Well last month i decided to do another event.

Problem = I decided 4 days before the event.
    Problem 2 = There was 2 public holidays in these 4 days.
    Problem 3 = The car had no driveshafts, hubs, brakes, fitted to the car.

Solution = WORK ASS OFF...

Outcome = Failed...

=;-)

We did a whole bunch of work to get the car on it's wheels and running, and being this car we ran into a massive number of problems. BUT we eventually on the afternoon before the race found the real reason for the vibration in the car.

The drivers top strut spherical bearing was shot, you could grab the wheel stud and lift and watch the thread on the shock move up a couple mm... We also found the inner cv had play, front sub-frame was loose, passengers control arm was loose, and a couple other little things. So no racing for me.

I've just ordered 2 new NMB spherical bearings for the top hats and the cv's should be fixed next month ($$$ thing) for the start of the tarmac series in June.

Wow hadn't updated this in a long long time...

Started the years series very very averagely - finished 17th! in motorkhana... was not happy... ended up getting a cone stuck under the car, having to get out, lift the car up while someone pulled out the cone, then strap back in and drove in exceptionally angry flat out fashion...

The Autocross wasn't too bad and finished well.

My favorite course was up next being the Sainbury Road hillclimb, it's just such a fun road.... It also makes you love having a sump guard:

Video of my best run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hGlBbxg2SQ
    i finished 4th overall, 1st 2wd, 1st N/A, 1st fwd. had a series 6 rx7 behind me in 5th, and a 3.0 turbo rs legacy, a misty mirage with evo running gear, and a 2009 sti tarmac racecar all in front of me. The sti was about 0.5 of a second quicker...

Then we had the dual car sprints at Hampton Downs and this happened...

]

So i decided SCREW THE XU series engines....

and BOOM EW time baby!

I can hear you loving your sump guard a few times up that hill!

Looking forward to hearing how you go with the EW conversion. I'm guessing there will be some fabrication of mounts on that one - aren't they quite a bit taller than the XU engines?

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Nope the same height they just sit at 15 degree's vs 30 degree's which the xu's sit at.

From my reading so far, the gearbox mount should be ok, the bottom mount needs to be shortened, and the top mount needs fabrication. I should be able to use my current driveshafts also...

When i did my xu10j4rs conversion i bought this mount: Peugeot 205 & 309 Drivers Top Engine Mount (Fast Road) - Spoox Motorsport as it was the only one that I could find that I could machine 10mm off to lower the engine so as not to hit the master cylinder and to get the exhaust through the tunnel without a wedge plate.

I'm guessing that you'll need to do similar to clear both the MC and the bonnet if the engine sits more upright... Or is the EW completely different in the top mount department?
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Mate, you finally have the excuse for more grunt!
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Longmans is said to have gotten 190 out of a factory ew10j4 with custom intake and exhaust manifolds and a custom ecu...

I'll be putting a link ecu, itb's, and custom exhaust manifold when we fit the engine.

Pat - you need a full custom top mount from what I've read. The lower mount needs to be shortened also.

Sandy on the drivers site is getting more than 190 from these motors. I would highly recommend speaking with him about an inlet manifold and cams if your spending the money. His it's inlet manifolds are amazing. He is the best man with these motors. Competition cars, championship wins etc etc.

Very keen to see how you get on with it. Definitely on the radar!

Nice work

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Yeah i follow Sandy's stuff on the 205drivers site religiously!

When it comes closer to the time of starting the project i'll be talking to him and Hilge about the conversion he's done and if he has the top mounts for sale or any drawings for them.

94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
    i finished 4th overall, 1st 2wd, 1st N/A, 1st fwd. had a series 6 rx7 behind me in 5th, and a 3.0 turbo rs legacy, a misty mirage with evo running gear, and a 2009 sti tarmac racecar all in front of me. The sti was about 0.5 of a second quicker...

Great effort. It didn't come cheap though! You've obviously got to the stage where a wet sump isn't enough!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

We had a failure in the sump, one of the trapdoors broke and boom no more engine. Hillclimbs are good for me - curcuit stuff I still need a lot of more experance to get the best from the car - I think I should have been able to go a second or two quicker at Hampton Downs if I had setup the car properly.

Best lap is a 1:21.1 but I think the car should have been able to do a mid to high 1:19 easy with a better driver and no fuel surge.

Who made the sump?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

It wasn't a company just a nice guy that helped me out so there is nothing to go back and complain about.

I'm also 100% behind the EW conversion - although it will be a bit of work I feel it's a much much better starting point than the XU series engines.

Started piecing together information for the conversion - started a thread on 205gtidrivers for info also. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=155494

Also asked about using a be3 clutch in a be4 - apparently you can if you use the be3 fly wheel.

Colin Satchell has made the top mount for at least one conversion, I've sent him a Facebook message asking about getting a mount made up.

You don't need to adjust the bottom mount if you have one of the later gti sub-frames with the TU mounting location. It sits further back and slightly in towards the centerline of the car.

Found the exact throttle bodies I want!
    Gsxr 750 1998

http://bit.ly/1hnpAXo

46mm straight id.

If you have a look at how the join, you can seperate the very easly to get what ever spacing you need.
    Last edited by DRTDVL; 19th December 2013 at 09:00 PM.

It has been a while, and looks like you've got a fair amount of work ahead of you. Good luck with the conversion to GTi180 power!

And nice work with the hillclimb!
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

It's just the standard 134hp ew engine, I got it sooo stupidly cheap it wasn't funny.

It's going to be more money that time I think really for what we want to do, but it will be done properly.

Unfortantly I've got a few other things I need to dedicate funds to for the next 6 months so yeah, it's going to be a slow project.

Page 5 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information